xmas came early

Dec 1, 2007
altamont, ny
Detector(s) used
white's, garrett, xp, makro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Christmas came early for me this year. it's great when you get to hunt in December in upstate new York. I got a call from a couple buddies in the Catskills who found an old foundation where they pulled some early colonial coppers & they invited me down yesterday. I headed down with my vx3. we hunted the foundation & it was a little thin with lots of tin & junk. i decided to hunt the stone fence which bordered the rear of the property. Many of us know that when things broke down in the old days they would throw it out of the garden next to the stone fence or hedge row. i found a nice brass cow bell from the 1700's, an early large cent with no readable date & a large size copper button which seem to have a design which I felt I could clean better at my shop. when i got back to my shop I cleaned the material up & discovered an eagle on the copper button. I have found 2 other George Washington inaugural buttons in my career & realized it could be big time. this one has 72 marks on the rim which makes it an r6 according to Albert's button book. r6 means 3 to 5 known. The 1913 v nickel with 6 known went for over a million. I don’t think I’m in that ball park but it certainly is going to be a nice pay day. bob at northeast metal detectors

Attachments

• gw1.jpg
    gw1.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 1,227
Upvote 0

Bayter

Dec 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's good to see such great finds right in my back yard, Upstate NY. Makes me excited to try out my new F2 when the spring comes around. Great finds!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread