Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Got out in the 100 degree heat over the weekend with Stef and Gheenoe78 for a bit of relic hunting. Little did I know what I would stumble across deep in the woods...

After about 2 hours of swinging, I came across a clearing in the woods. While swinging the detector I got a nice grunt from the XP and to my surprise, a small motionless thing was laying beside the target. I reached down, it let out a whimper and rolled slowly to its side...baby raccoon :laughing7:

20160723_105356.jpg

Given the heat, and the fact that moma was no where in sight (especially given they are nocturnal) I decided to call off the hunt and get the little guy (affectionately known as Garrett) to the local keeper of the wild program. I dropped off a cash donation and with that the little guy was on his way to recovery, in the care of the local vet hospital.

20160723_112824.jpg

Back to the relics, scouted a few new spots with varied success. With the deep overgrowth in full effect, surface finds are harder to come by. That being said, Stef's research landed us on an old avenue of oaks. Among the relics was a smooth copper coin...perhaps a farthing.

20160725_212002.jpg 20160725_212018.jpg

Also managed a tombac, copper, and killer basket weave pewter button. The basket weave dates from 1770-1790.

20160725_211927.jpg 20160725_211939.jpg

Also a strange lead domed...button perhaps...with a star? ID help appreciated.

20160725_205056.jpg 20160725_205101.jpg

On an old CW site with Gheenoe I managed a few roundballs, carved bullet, and .44 caliber round.

20160725_211814.jpg

Among the surface finds was a partial mortar, pottery, and SC dispensary bottle.

20160725_211212.jpg 20160725_211232.jpg 20160725_211302.jpg

Fresh out of electrolysis also managed a large iron saddle buckle.

20160725_212048.jpg

All in all another outstanding weekend and a bit of karma on my side for next weekend! Good luck out there and keep your eyes on the ground

20160725_211744.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 51

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That little guy really put a smile on my face thanks for posting. South Carolina dispensary? Are those things not super valuable? You better go dig up the whole area lol

Glad to hear it :laughing7: dug a few SC partials but never a complete bottle... Intact ones are worth a fortune

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FullSizeRender_2.jpg

Jon a few years ago my sister lived in Hollywood SC this guy got into one of her feeders eventually ending up with his head stuck in that jar. She called Critter Getters and paid some guy to come get him free. I told her how to do it for free but she decided that really wasn't her thing.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well done Jon :thumbsup: That's really awesome that you took that little guy to safety. Nice group of buttons too man. I have the same\similar basket weave pewter too. Its always great when one has a design on it.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on a good hunt! But even more so, great job saving that little critter! :hello2::dog:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job guys. I love animals!!!! My grandfather was a warden and I grew up around baby skunks, raccoons, even a silver fox(which is black). That karma will come back to you 8fold 😉

Twin Picks

Jun 29, 2015
Low Country
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice hunt John. congrats on the finds and the "saves". Looks like you got a good spot out there. those Orb Weavers are everywhere this time of year. I took one to the face a few weekend ago. Stay sharp!

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am surprised that anyone took it. The rabies rate is so high in raccoons that they are typically euthanized. Did anyone at the shelter say they would test for rabies? Did they recommend that you get shots?

I am glad you attempted to help an animal in distress. I did something similar with a bat that I found in the water but I never touched it or brought it aboard my boat.

Please call the shelter and determine whether you may be in danger.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am surprised that anyone took it. The rabies rate is so high in raccoons that they are typically euthanized. Did anyone at the shelter say they would test for rabies? Did they recommend that you get shots?

I am glad you attempted to help an animal in distress. I did something similar with a bat that I found in the water but I never touched it or brought it aboard my boat.

Please call the shelter and determine whether you may be in danger.

As long as it didn't bite him he should be OK even if it had rabies.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As long as it didn't bite him he should be OK even if it had rabies.

The major risk of rabies comes from contact with the saliva, body fluids, or tissue of infected animals. Animals that can be infected with rabies include all mammals, but in particular:

wild animals--mostly foxes, skunks, bats, and raccoons
livestock--mostly cattle but occasionally horses, sheep, goats, and pigs
pets--mostly cats and dogs, and occasionally ferrets.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was lifted from the web.

If you have an open cut or introduce a rabid animal's saliva through your mucous membranes (eyes, nose, etc...) you are at risk.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done Jon :thumbsup: That's really awesome that you took that little guy to safety. Nice group of buttons too man. I have the same\similar basket weave pewter too. Its always great when one has a design on it.

Thanks bud, this one is the 3rd basket weave pewter I've recovered...the first 2 from a loyalist camp. No definitive military connection but definitely late 1700s

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job guys. I love animals!!!! My grandfather was a warden and I grew up around baby skunks, raccoons, even a silver fox(which is black). That karma will come back to you 8fold ��

Thanks Abe, hopefully another good weekend in the dirt to follow

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That was lifted from the web.

If you have an open cut or introduce a rabid animal's saliva through your mucous membranes (eyes, nose, etc...) you are at risk.

Thanks doubters, both the keeper of the wild folks and vet were not concerned...like any mammal raccoons can contract the rabies virus, but despite the “high risk” classification given this species, rabies incidence in adult raccoons is low and in babies rare. A raccoon must be sick with rabies to spread the disease, there is no “carrier” state. During the time it is “incubating” the virus, i.e. the time between exposure to the virus (rabies is almost always contracted via a bite from an infected animal) and onset of symptoms of illness, it is not yet sick itself, and is not infective to others.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
look up sandcast buttons -- often due to the shortage of buttons replacement confederate uniform buttons were often made of lead --they were made "in the field" using a real button as a mold by pressing it into sand then pouring hot lead into the sand impression and adding a wire loop while the metal was still hot ...

to my knowledge --star type cuff buttons were used by officers from Texas -- Mississippi and on various general staff officer level officers from many different states ... if made of lead it might be a civil war era sandcast uniform replacement button...
which are highly sought after..near the st marys river along the fla / ga border at a place called thompkins landing --there used to be a confederate picket post (on the fla side) during the civil war as it was a low water crossing spot ... close to the river I found several bullets that had been made into fishing weights and a partial button (about 60% of it )--- a sand cast "texas" type coat button it had 3 star points with the letters t ..e..x at the tips of each point ..clearly they were making coat buttons and trying to catch some fresh fish for food while doing "boring" picket duty .. the button partial I found had not been fully filled and so it got left behind ...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread