Xterra 70 question

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia
I have owned a Minelab Xterra 70 for about 18 months. Recently I went to turn it on and it gave an audible muffled sound, flashed an "E" error icon for about a quarter of a second and would not power on. I put multiple sets of fresh batteries and checked all connections.
After bringing it inside for the night the next morning it turned on with no problem. So I loaded the car and a half hour later at the hunting grounds it ceased to function.

My question is, has anyone ever had issues with an x-70 turning on due to a colder temperature? It was around 40 F outside.
I sent the housing and coil to Minelab to be looked at and it is still under warranty.

Thanks for any experiences you can inform me of.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since nobody else chipped in yet about this I will see if I can help. Cold temps can affect the connections and some parts, but 40 degrees F. are not all that cold and well within the operating temperatures Minelab says. You did good on changing the batteries a few times and this would also eliminate any chance you installed one wrong. I did that a few times myself and feel so stupid afterward.

Hopefully Minelab will correct the problem for you. Keep everyone informed about their service too. It effects which detectors we purchase again.

Take Care,
Sandman

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705, Explorer SE, & At Pro
I have ran mine (x 705) in the mid 30s without issues.

Could it have gotten moisture in the eletronics? Like from condensation inside of the car.

Jeff

OP
OP
Chico Rico

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia
I just got off the horn w/ minelab. The operator or secretary wanted to give me a scripted line about turn around time at 20 day average and she had no info.
I explained that many peeps on my favorite md site had some SERIOUS problems with service since the take over and it is common knowledge that they are short of staff...Magically I got transfered to the answer lady with my info in the screen that advised me of the repairs to my machine and that since it is still under warranty it is at no charge. Best part, it will ship tomorrow via FedEx ground,(hopefully).
I thanked her for the turnaround time being speedier than the 27 days I read about.

Get Some.

OP
OP
Chico Rico

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia
Got it back pretty quickly and they replaced all faulty parts at no charge.
No problem w/ service I got.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread