Feb 11, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab X- Terra 305
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would you pick the xterra pro over the nokta makro legend
This is just my opinion and I'm not the end all of all things metal detecting but the answer for me would be no I have the legend and an X-Terra 305.
I still like the tones and volume of the tones on the 305.
But most of the videos I've seen on the X-Terra pro show that the target ID numbers are not consistent and I don't care for the tones on it.
I do like the red backlighting on the pro but it would have really not been much of a step up for me.
The pro would be a good beginner detector the price is good.
But I also have yet to have a complaint about the legend other than a battery problem that was physical.
I guess if you are into power up and go the Simplex or the Pro would be the way to go.
There is only one concern I would mention and that is the placement of the internal batteries, in the Pro if I'm not mistaken the battery is located in the handle of the detector as where the Nokta is located inside of the control head.
My concern would be if the battery needed replaced it might compromise the water proof status of the legend.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Legend, but I also have four Minelabs. With the Legend, with all updates, I feel it can well equal the Manticore. Having said that, the X-Terra Pro having the ability to switch from one Freq. to another by pushing a button, is sooo...much better I think than when I was using my X-Terra 70, there, you needed to switch coils. X-Terra Pro does NOT have Multi-Freq. as does the Legend, however, nothing at all wrong with a good single Freq. detector. We all used them for many years, and the Legend has Multi-Freq as well as 5? single Freq's to choose from. Price point? When I bought the Legend I think it was about $725 with the 6" coil included. The X-Terra Pro for under $300 is it? Sounds like the most bang for the buck. Also sounds like (Reading in the Treasure-Net) a heck of a Dandy machine, with fella's comparing it to the EQ's. Choice of course is yours in the end 8realtony, if your new to Detecting, but do not know yet if you too will become addicted to the hobby as so many others have, start with the lessor one of cost, and in a year or two you can still then go with the Legend, or any other that may catch your interest by then. The X-Terra would then become a excellent back up machine to have. Just my thoughts.....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to do any salt water beach hunting, get the Legend....if those are your only two choices.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good point there "8realtony" made by :cudamark: and it's because a Multi-Freq. detector will handle the salt content way better than a Single Freq. again for salt water beaches, fresh water like lakes? Single is good.

Peterw

Aug 9, 2015
Blairsville Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both, I live in western Pennsylvania and I wouldn’t feel outgunned if I had one or the other. I’m not a beach hunter and have never hunted a beach. But I’ve watched videos of both on the beach and both were stable imo…Back to dirt hunting which I do with the xterra pro and the legend..I’m not new to this hobbie, I don’t have a YouTube channel,, but I make better than average finds with both machines, and truthfully I don’t think one would find anything other won’t...These machines are so close in performing in the field that I’m probably gonna keep one and sell the other,,and it don’t matter which is kept and which is sold if that tells you anything.

dan_s28

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2023
You can get the Xterra for cheap cheap from Bed, Bath Beyond with a coupon for using their app. For about $200! Good spare detector. I have a legend also, but I'm fairly new to give a good comparison. There's a dude on youtube, paystreak superfreak that directly compares the two. I hunt saltwater and parks - having some trouble with my legend in wet salt sand.... user error I'm sure.

-Seal

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not even close. Legend by a mile.

I've heard that the new Xterra isn't even as good as some older selectable single freq units.
Here's an example of Paystreak in a park struggling with his new Xterra --> Xterra struggles

Skip to the 5:15 mark and watch his small gold ring test.

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are just starting out, you don't hunt saltwater beaches or moderate to high iron mineralization and you are likely to dig it all, then the X-Terra Pro is a great bargain. However, compatible Bluetooth headphones from Minelab or from third party sources just aren't readily available yet and they will cost at least $100.

If you hunt saltwater beaches or in iron mineralization, the Legend will be a better choice. If accurate target IDs on deeper coin sized targets are important to you, the Legend will also be a better choice.

Both have great features and ergonomics, particularly the newer version of the Legend. The Legend has a lot more to offer both in features and versatility to a more experiened user.

So if you want an entry level detector=X-Terra Pro. If you want an entry level to advanced level detector=Legend.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get the Xterra for cheap cheap from Bed, Bath Beyond with a coupon for using their app. For about $200! Good spare detector. I have a legend also, but I'm fairly new to give a good comparison. There's a dude on youtube, paystreak superfreak that directly compares the two. I hunt saltwater and parks - having some trouble with my legend in wet salt sand.... user error I'm sure.

-Seal
With BB&B going out of business right now, that may or may not be available.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread