Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings,

I have an Xterra 70 and have been hunting a few spots lately that are really trashy but have seen use over the past couple of hundred years.

They both have alot of potential, but I do tend to dig alot of crap up. Only a few modern coins to date, but an old belt buckle and plenty of bullets kept me coming back.

I use the standard coil for now, and use it on a standard coin hunting mode (mode 1). I auto GB and auto NC. No tracking...

What sort of settings do you all tend to use?

Any tips on how to work around some of the junk or any other knowledge/video links you could share, I'd appreciate it!

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705, Explorer SE, & At Pro
DD coil for the trash. You can hunt heavy trash with the 6" HF DD. Not as deep as some of the others. My next will be a 10.5 MF DD. I have the 6" HF DD and a 10 x 5 HF DD and they both do well in trash but the 6" still is better in the heavy stuff.

Jeff

7centsworth

Oct 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab x-terra 70
I am with turnmaster , try a 6'' dd coil i just hunted a trashy spot yesterday and pulled out a 1877 cc seated liberty quarter . i will poat a picture later when i get one taken. It took getting used to that small coil but it was worth it. You might also try slowing your swing down ans lowering your sensitvity. I like to use all metal and go slow it is hard on your ears ,but you can hear the slightest high tone in between the other tones.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
7centsworth, what kind of depth are you getting with the 6" DD, where you're still getting positive numbers on a nonferrous target?

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705, Explorer SE, & At Pro
Can't speak for 7c, but I get positive numbers. However, I also get more iron that sounds digable. I am still learning to sort that out. Problem for me is I always feel like I am walking away from a good target. I found my two best Nickels sitting in between nails. 1899 and 1914. Iffy signals. I know why they were still at the grange.

Jeff

KurtB

Sep 8, 2006
Lincoln, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70, CZ20, IDX Pro
In spots like that I run pattern 1 with only segment 48 rejected. No auto trac and use 3 or multi tone. Real trashy, I prefer the 6" concentric. While giving up a tad in seperation, it cuts down on iron falses. The 3kHz coil works great when working around iron and it has great depth on high conductors. My coil of choice when trash permits. This is in the farm fields of Nebraska, your ground might require different settings. Good luck.

Kurt

7centsworth

Oct 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab x-terra 70
I air test at a little over 9 inches on pennies and I have dug several at about 6 inches .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread