Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The original owner is more than likely deceased. Is your intent to sell it or return it to the heir of the original owner; perhaps the 'child' is still alive?
If your conscious is bothering you, you can always donate it to a charitable entity--like a museum.
Don in SoCal

OP
OP
G
May 9, 2024
I am going to sell it. It is alreadyy evaluated by sothebys. A french car collector already messaged me and wants to buy it. He asked me what i want for it. But before i do anything wait for the evaluation from sothebys.

btw here a little pic how it looks like

Attachments

• 20240412_131344.jpg
    20240412_131344.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So my Grand Grand Grandfather was part of the invasion of france. Every week he send back expensive fur coats and one expensive drivable child car.

I wonder if i try to sell this car if the original owners could be informed? Maybe there is some kind of serial number somewhere.

But is it immoral or against the law? Im in Germany here.
Can you show a Picture of this expensive drivable child car.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So, from pepper's post above it appears this guys father was a German solider during WW2 and looted France during the invasion.
He posted a picture of the front end.
Screenshot_20240509_074337_Chrome.jpg

I was wondering what make it was.
20240509_074822.jpg

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Germanicus$$$$$$$$$$$$$ said:

So my Grand Grand Grandfather was part of the invasion of france. Every week he send back expensive fur coats and one expensive drivable child car.

I wonder if i try to sell this car if the original owners could be informed? Maybe there is some kind of serial number somewhere.

But is it immoral or against the law? Im in Germany here.
I'm a little confused here... :icon_scratch:

What is it you want to do, sell this item or return it to the family?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would not seem like souvenirs as it would seem more to be looting? Given the history of the time and place, it would appear to be a German officer with a little pull? that could simply seize and ship "confiscated" items such as fur coats etc. from French and or Jewish residents of France. For me? I could not sell that "car", it would just somehow seem wrong, that may just be me. Donate it to WWII holocaust history type museum in France? if there is one. Germanicus is based in Germany, it is up to him though. I in no way could hold him responsible for any action from a Great Grandfather. Interesting position to be in.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Would not seem like souvenirs as it would seem more to be looting? Given the history of the time and place, it would appear to be a German officer with a little pull? that could simply seize and ship "confiscated" items such as fur coats etc. from French and or Jewish residents of France. For me? I could not sell that "car", it would just somehow seem wrong, that may just be me. Donate it to WWII holocaust history type museum in France? if there is one. Germanicus is based in Germany, it is up to him though. I in no way could hold him responsible for any action from a Great Grandfather. Interesting position to be in.
What's a holocaust history type museum have to do with this car, did it being to a Jew?
That nobody knows that.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same thoughts!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Restored and locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread