Yadkin Valley Native American Artifact Exhibit NC

bmartin0693

Feb 22, 2012
East Bend, North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to go to the East Bend Public Library today to check out the Earl Norman Collection I've heard about since I was a younger. My dad used to talk about it b/c he used to sell some artifacts he found working. My family owned 100s of acres of tobacco fields along the Yadkin River. My dad said Mr. Norman would normally pay him with a silver dollar for each arrowhead he found. He said Mr. Norman would give every one in his family a silver dollar for Christmas too. This collection has been in safe keeping in Raleigh for at least 50 years. It consists of over 45 years of collecting and over 4,000 items. The exhibit mainly displays items recovered from the Village of Donnaha, dating back to 1000 AD. A great find of Mr. Norman's was a rare steatite pipe, which is now in Jim Maus's Collection. I provided links to that and to more info about the exhibit. I also provided pictures of my experience today. First picture shown is the Contact period and the rest in order to the Paleo period. Last two pictures show some bone and knapping tools also. If you are interested in reading more, check out the other artifacts from the Jim Maus Collection. For example, a chlorite pipe, a copper celt, the Saura Indians and more miscellaneous artifacts. I didn't get to spend as much time as I wanted to b/c I was on lunch break. I thought about sharing this, so I hope yall like it as much as I do!

Yadkin Ripple - East Bend Library opens Indian artifact exhibit

Jim Maus Artifacts - Norman Biconical Tube Pipe

Attachments

• contact.jpg
    contact.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 403
  • woodland.jpg
    woodland.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 378
  • middle-late archaic.jpg
    middle-late archaic.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 460
  • middle archaic.jpg
    middle archaic.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 276
  • early archaic.jpg
    early archaic.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 268
  • paleo.jpg
    paleo.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm going to have to ride over to the capital and look at this stuff. Looks good. Jim Maus has some great NC stuff. Have you seen his NC parakeet bowl? NC once had parakeet flying around. I wish they weren't extinct.

I'm going to have to ride over to the capital and look at this stuff. Looks good. Jim Maus has some great NC stuff. Have you seen his NC parakeet bowl? NC once had parakeet flying around. I wish they weren't extinct.

I didn't know that! That's pretty neat. Thank you for sharing that tidbit.

I consider myself a Carolina boy, went to school in Eden.

It's amazing what you pick up here and there when you're not expecting. Knowledge!

I am amazed that when you go on the reservations they have very little of their history and yet many private owners have so much. It seems with all the help the government offers cant they help with museums so these artifacts can go to the rightful people. I hear we do so much but I don't think so......they lost so much too....just seems that artifacts such as a beautiful collection as this could go into a museum to the tribe it belongs to yet when you visit reservations no decent museums no decent places to really visit and see history........kind of sad.......maybe one day things will be different for the first americans......I wouldn't mind my tax dollars going to museums or good housing......I hate the idea of supporting prisons and third generation welfare sitters.......I like that texas prison where it is hot and miserable and you never want to go back now that is my idea of hard time......or serve in military....to do time.....beautiful colletion just I live in the native states and definitely needs some fixing up here.........people with land cant live on it for water pressure is toooo low......no way to afford a well costs so much to travel to nearby cities and obtain needed items.....thank goodness some can have amazon but one must have credit to do so and many do not......off my soapbox I could go on and on.......just on vacation go to a nearby reservation drive around eat at the restaurant stay a few days make your own judgement.....count miles to nearest city.......check places to work .......unemployment.....stores to visit......some are (very few) doing well but most.....another story......I hear from people how they get all kinds of free stuff......go see housing that reminds you of military homes all same all depressing looking......talk and learn how some lost land due to unfair taxes that they did not understand about at the time.....barely could speak English.....it was not their first language but because a chosen few liked that land undue monies assessed on land that was given to them and taken away and family had no way to come up with the monies barely were feeding themselves......I know each of our family have underwent hardships r/to railroads or whatevr....shoot my family were big supporters of jesse james cause cuzz of the railroad ........but don't be blind go visit get to know listen to the stories......then make a decision.....read native times.....see the other half.....make educated decisions on our first americans......they are an important part of all of our heritage of the united states of America........

I know, I would enjoy seeing parakeets. This collection is about 5 minutes from my house. I'm not sure where the Jim Maus artifacts are displayed. You think they are at the Natural Science Museum in Raleigh? I would like to go there some day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back