Yankee Camp - Silver, Brass, and Lead

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had gone a month without detecting due mostly to the weather here in Mid-MO. The urge to dig was relentless, so I called up my friend for a fix. We met up last Saturday, before our big snow, without any real plans. The fields were too wet, so we figured woods would be the way to go. He had discovered a big early war Yankee camp several years ago — a site that ACTUALLY was “just over that next hill.” The property changed hands a while back, but he had a connection with the new owner. On a whim, he called up the owner, and he had secured permission for us to be there in 15 minutes.

We arrived and hiked through down a snowy trail. The place was wooded and overgrown, and I was beginning to dread a day of hard digging. Then, we spotted an area that had been cleared. Right in the “sweet spot” of the old camp. I turned on my CTX, did a noise cancel, and took my first swing. Immediately, I got a 12-38 signal at 5 inches. I popped the plug, expecting to find a screw cap or can slaw. I was amazed when an 1854 half dime popped out — I hadn’t even been swinging for a minute! I look over at my partner and he was elbows deep in a hole pulling out a bullet. It was going to be one of those days.

And what a day it was. I got my coil over several bullets, my first artillery coat button, and a neat powder flask lid. My find of the day was a folded square of brass/copper that I thought was junk at first. I showed my friend — a digger with 45 years of experience — and he told me to clean it before I called it junk. I got home and started scrubbing the mud away, and the impression of an eagle appeared! I called him up, and he gave me advice on how to unfold it without damaging it. After some searching through the books, he identified it as an early militia belt plate, circa 1820’s. He guessed that some Yankee went off to war with his father’s or grandfather’s old belt buckle and tossed it at the camp when it broke.

My partner also pulled an artillery coat button in much better shape, some dropped Colt revolving rifle bullets, and other nice bullets of various calibers. Definitely a good Civil War dig.

IMG_20200204_200230408.jpg

IMG_20200204_200243341.jpg

Upvote 27

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great CW dig! You did a great job unfolding that plate:occasion14:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a way to start a hunt and then after the hunt you find the true find of the day! Amazing history there!

OP
OP
MidMoTreasure

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great CW dig! You did a great job unfolding that plate:occasion14:

Thanks! My partner recommended paint sticks. He said go slow, just a little at a time, and take time in between each push. It took a while, but I got it flat.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!!

Zep11in

Feb 22, 2019
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, Whites MX5, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great recoveries. Congrats!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had gone a month without detecting due mostly to the weather here in Mid-MO. The urge to dig was relentless, so I called up my friend for a fix. We met up last Saturday, before our big snow, without any real plans. The fields were too wet, so we figured woods would be the way to go. He had discovered a big early war Yankee camp several years ago — a site that ACTUALLY was “just over that next hill.” The property changed hands a while back, but he had a connection with the new owner. On a whim, he called up the owner, and he had secured permission for us to be there in 15 minutes.

We arrived and hiked through down a snowy trail. The place was wooded and overgrown, and I was beginning to dread a day of hard digging. Then, we spotted an area that had been cleared. Right in the “sweet spot” of the old camp. I turned on my CTX, did a noise cancel, and took my first swing. Immediately, I got a 12-38 signal at 5 inches. I popped the plug, expecting to find a screw cap or can slaw. I was amazed when an 1854 half dime popped out — I hadn’t even been swinging for a minute! I look over at my partner and he was elbows deep in a hole pulling out a bullet. It was going to be one of those days.

And what a day it was. I got my coil over several bullets, my first artillery coat button, and a neat powder flask lid. My find of the day was a folded square of brass/copper that I thought was junk at first. I showed my friend — a digger with 45 years of experience — and he told me to clean it before I called it junk. I got home and started scrubbing the mud away, and the impression of an eagle appeared! I called him up, and he gave me advice on how to unfold it without damaging it. After some searching through the books, he identified it as an early militia belt plate, circa 1820’s. He guessed that some Yankee went off to war with his father’s or grandfather’s old belt buckle and tossed it at the camp when it broke.

My partner also pulled an artillery coat button in much better shape, some dropped Colt revolving rifle bullets, and other nice bullets of various calibers. Definitely a good Civil War dig.

View attachment 1800150

View attachment 1800151

Very Very Nice Finds.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great relic hunt with a cool coin thrown in, congrats! :occasion14:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful digs!! Great job on the plate :icon_thumright:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs, especially the militia plate!

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome! Congrats!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Half dime is really cool that plate and those bullets are freakin awesome good job fixing it. I wish there was stuff like that by me I would never sleep Thanks for sharing your cool finds. Well done.... Tommy

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job all around!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012