Yankee (Me) Bonds with Confederate Soldier's Kin detecting Civil War Battle Field

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Amazing day yesterday as much or more for the new friendship and history as the detecting finds. I had researched a relatively major Civil War battle and drove several hours to the site, hoping to find permission near the (protected) site. I get there and it's marked either state or private property as far as the eye can see and as always I see how close I can get while still being on the right side of the law. I found an area along the main road where trees were torn out and earth overturned - looked like to widen the road. There were no posted signs, but my concern was that was only because the trees they could have been on were removed and the signs not put up again. Well I nervously started detecting with the idea I could say that I looked carefully for signs and didn't see any and I was directly along the road out in the open, not looking to conceal what I was doing. I found a three ringer right away and was pretty fired up about it. At the same time, I kept my eye on the side road next to battle field because I had been to the end of the road and there was a gate and I saw on satellite view there were homes back there - so along comes a vehicle I wave it down and driving is what looks to be a Confederate solider - full beard, hat looks like a soldier...and CSA belt buckle when he gets out of the van. So I ask if this is ok to be here and he said it's probably fine, that his family owned this entire area including battle field land, since 1820 and they sold the battle site to the state years ago and still own 2000 acres next to it. Oh, and he's a detectorist!! His dad was as well...he's telling me detector dreamlike stories about all he has found over the decades - can't even imagine it sounds like a museum of finds. Friendly guy, so I ask after a while, could I pay you something to detect some of your land? He says, no worries, you don't have to pay me and he says let me show you some of my finds. He said we have detected so much of it but he says as you know there's no way we found everything. So we go back to his land, crack open a beer and he shows me (some are pictured here). We detected about an hour and while I didn't find anything amazing there, it was such a huge piece of property I will have to go back. He gave me an open invitation - but I did find in addition to the three ringer - this item by the main road that he thinks could be the end of a ramrod for a rifle. It's about 3/4" across the flat top and the split in the top doesn't look like part of the design, rather it's cracked open. It is cone shaped. I would appreciate your ideas on this item. One of his relatives was in the battle there, and the main thing is all these years a Yankee (me) and the kin of a Confederate solider met on the battle field, sparked a friendship and had a good day (and a beer! - actually, we had a second beer too). Note in powder flask photo you can see more straight on image of box gun on shelf in background. It's same gun as I have in the closer gun photo. You can also see cannon ball fragments on shelf in background and another really nice whole powder flask.

Attachments

• photoMe.jpg
    photoMe.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 131
  • photoCone.jpg
    photoCone.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 99
  • photoCannonballs.jpg
    photoCannonballs.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 96
  • photoGun.jpg
    photoGun.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 108
  • photoCone2.jpg
    photoCone2.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 100
  • photoBayonet.jpg
    photoBayonet.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 112
  • photoPowder.jpg
    photoPowder.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Upvote 30

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great story & pictures and the new friend. Sounds like you could spend the remainder of your detecting years going over all those acres, or even in part. Congratulations on the saves you pulled and BOL with the future hunts and your new friendship

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work Bergie! Very inspiring. I love how you just hop in the car and take a chance and go for it and end up getting into the best adventures. I need to be more optimistic. I feel so cynical but the hunt we had in Leesburg is the perfect example of how you can't plan everything, sometimes you just have to have your gear in the car, some free time and keep your eyes open for opportunity.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"He gave me an open invitation" :occasion14: Music to my ears!! Keep us posted on any future visits :icon_thumright:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG...you just never know who you will run in to and good things come from new friendships. ie..a excellent permission, and a brew to boot. Thanks for sharing.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He has some great finds there. Congrats on a super permission.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story of new friendship and detecting...Good Luck on future outings! :icon_thumleft:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the cool adventure, as usual. You have quite the way of getting people to see things your way.

You need to get back over there pronto!

Good luck buddy.

Okdirtfisher64

Dec 22, 2018
Tulsa,Ok
Detector(s) used
F75+ fisher 11”,5” dd coils
F pulse pin pointer
Black widow headphones
Predator 31c raptor hand digger,
Whites mxt e-tracker stock 9” ,4x6,coil
Garrett AT Pro,ground shrark