paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few weeks back I tried the front yard of this house, but only found a few wheat pennies and not many pieces of metal that seemed old. The house is 1830's though, so I kept at it and with this hunt I moved onto the side yard and had much better luck. Based on the bits of coal, pottery, and relics this was definitely where they dumped their trash and it made for some excellent detecting.

DSC00808.JPG

I found four older coins: a 1935 wheat, 1908 Indian head, 1888 Indian head, and my first V-nickel ever (1907)! No silver this time, but I'm sure there will be some in this yard somewhere.

DSC00809.JPG

I also found this beautiful pewter bridle rosette which will need a little bit of preservation work.

DSC00810.JPG DSC00811.JPG DSC00812.JPG

Much of the finds were your standard late 1800's fare. Clock plate, spoon fragments, parts from three different oil lamps, and a halter buckle. The rectangular piece in the last photo I'm fairly sure is the border from a photograph frame. The piece next to it is sort of strange and has a crest stamped into it, but I don't recognize it.

Finally the find of the day:

DSC00813.JPG DSC00814.JPG

An absolutely perfect silver-washed infantry button that wasn't even 3" deep! The back mark is Horstmann Sons & Drucker N.Y. and the shank is perfect. I know you guys down south digs these all the time, but around the Albany NY area I never expected to dig one and certainly not in this condition. My guess is that the resident of this house was a civil war veteran so I'll do some research and see if I can verify that theory and get a name. Even if it was a random loss it's still one of my best button finds to date so I'm happy!

Upvote 14

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol, I'll take that nickel off your hands. Congratulations on a great hunt.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the really nice finds! That button is sweet!

-- Jeff --

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet infantry button! I really like the rosette too.

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like you had a nice little hunt. That's a sweet little button, I'd be happy to. Congrats to you Mister.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sweet finds, congrats. hopefully you be adding some silver to that very nice haul

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread