tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only hit 3 yard sales within my area last Saturday. I bought some tools cheap, but I did find this silver dog dish I guess it be?. I saw it there on a blanket with other stuff in the yard and didn't even check it out first, as I thought it's just one of the many plated stuff you see out there at yard sales. Still you gotta look and I was quite surprised to see this little word sterling on it. That's the only mark on it. There not makers name or nothing else other than someone scratced a number 37/271 on it which could be an insurance ID or some personal reference number?. It was 25¢ and weighs 135.8 grams. A good piece of clean scrap worth a 50 dollar bill at least at current day prices. I might just head to the scrap gold, silver & coin guy and see what unique items he might do some swapping on?? He does buy vintage watches and other interesting gold and silver jewelry. He used to be a bit naive on the makers of jewelry, but did start taking notice of what people like me would focus on, so now he does a little research, but still he's reasonable on the pricing.

Attachments

• IMG_20180507_083137391.jpg
    IMG_20180507_083137391.jpg
    778.5 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20180507_083151799.jpg
    IMG_20180507_083151799.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 143

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
Just my guess but it looks like a pan that would sit on top of a warmer. I used to use these in the past for sauces.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check everything and assume nothing! Great hunk of sterling.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just got back from the coin shop. When I walked in the jewelry case was empty. I asked where'd everything go. He got robbed yesterday morning at 4:30 AM. He showed me the security video. These guys busted the jewelry case and you could watch the guy gabbing all the jewelry and gold nuggets out of the case and behind him the other crook worked unsuccessfully on the safe that held all the gold coins. The cops had the theives cornered in a stolen car, but they ditched the car and fled on foot into an open pasture and got away. Some of the stuff was recovered, but its being held right now for evidence. He had some cool antique stick pins I wanted to maybe swap for as I collect the gold ones, but I'll have to wait to see if any are returned. He gave me $54.00 for the dish. He had a cool gold stick pin I wanted, but I'll take the cash and keep treasure hunting with that elsewhere.

Last edited:

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tamrock, it might be a good idea to detect the thieves path through that pasture

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tamrock, it might be a good idea to detect the thieves path through that pasture
That's the first thing I thought about. The guy they hit said it sounds like a 3rd of what they got was recovered. He said he had a natural gold nugget that was worth $800 in just the gold weight. He seemed rather bummed about that one. What was interesting is there where two security cameras. The one in the hallway to the door to his shop caught the guys prying the door open with a crowbar, which the crook had chained to his wrist and you could see the profile of his face. Once they got into the shop they had their faces covered up and wearing safety goggles. One of the cooks had a military issue backpack on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check everything and assume nothing! Great hunk of sterling.
You can say that again. I started ignoring silver covered dishes as I swore those are always plated crap, until BK posted a sterling one he came across which was probably one in a million.

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can say that again. I started ignoring silver covered dishes as I swore those are always plated crap, until BK posted a sterling one he came across which was probably one in a million.

I used to ignore a lot of stuff too, but I have found sterling stuff I never would have dreamed to be made of sterling.

I have found a cauldron, photo frame, Christmas ornaments, figurines, lighter cases, knives, scissors, jewelry box, mirror frames, glove stretcher, even found a sterling silver ruler once. not to mention every sort of kitchen utensil, and container imaginable.

Just recently saw someone post sterling and turquoise shirt collar accents

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You sure it was BK. I found a sterling casserole dish about a year ago and posted it.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure it was BK. I found a sterling casserole dish about a year ago and posted it.
Oh, So it was your discovery. That was a great score. I do see many silver covered dishes in the thrift stores and so far all have been plated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread