YAY!!

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
great days for parking lot scouting for later retrieval. siegfried schlagrule

OP
OP
Blacksheep

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
The only benefit from today's snow is that it covered up about 10 of those "free" weekly
newspapers frozen to the ground in my front yard. :wink:

In spring, when they are no longer stuck to whats left of my lawn, I`ll collect them up
and drop them (sloppy, drippy wet) on the counter in the office of the offending press.

Makes no difference how many times you call and ask for them not to deliver these, never
mind the "no soliciting" sign prominently displayed, they just keep piling up. >:(

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Blacksheep,
bit of snow here also.

"The only benefit from today's snow is that it
covered up about 10 of those "free" weekly
newspapers frozen to the ground in my front yard." :thumbsup:

have a good un...........
SHERMANVILLE

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
great day to do some scouting for later retrieval in the mall parking lots.
seigfried schlagrule

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Blacksheep said:
The only benefit from today's snow is that it covered up about 10 of those "free" weekly

In spring, when they are no longer stuck to whats left of my lawn, I`ll collect them up
and drop them (sloppy, drippy wet) on the counter in the office of the offending press.

Makes no difference how many times you call and ask for them not to deliver these, never
mind the "no soliciting" sign prominently displayed, they just keep piling up. >:(

Did you subscribe then stop the newspaper? Call the newspaper office and tell them to send out the person who delivered you the unwanted newspapers to pick them up or tell them that you will call the police and file a litter complaint against the paper company. They do the free papers to try to get customers. If you get phone calls to get you to subscribe to the newspaper, tell them...why should I subscribe when I deliver the newspaper. If your town has 2 newspapers, tell them you deliver the other newspaper. Most of the time they will remove your name instantly.

Can you tell I deliver the newspaper? Thank goodness I don't deliver to indiviual homes, just to stores and paperboy/girls.

Sue

OP
OP
Blacksheep

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
smurf-42 said:
Blacksheep said:

Did you subscribe then stop the newspaper? Call the newspaper office and tell them to send out the person who delivered you the unwanted newspapers to pick them up or tell them that you will call the police and file a litter complaint against the paper company. They do the free papers to try to get customers. If you get phone calls to get you to subscribe to the newspaper, tell them...why should I subscribe when I deliver the newspaper. If your town has 2 newspapers, tell them you deliver the other newspaper. Most of the time they will remove your name instantly.

Can you tell I deliver the newspaper? Thank goodness I don't deliver to indiviual homes, just to stores and paperboy/girls.

Sue

I do not get our local paper, haven't for years. I have called many times, problem is (and please, do not take this personally) the sloppiness of the local carriers. From what I understand its the "run `n dump" method of delivery, two people in the car count out enough papers for one side of the street each, hop out and each takes a side (of said street) and literally run while tossing papers at each house, a third person driving, meets them at the end. This was told to me by the woman who answered the phone at one of three press offices in town.

It`s gotten worse since the major paper in town, fired all the kids who delivered and opted for people over eighteen. (yep, no more "paperboy/girl) I could call the police but they have more important issues to deal with, The method above drives the point home quickly, solving the problem until winter of each year.

I call these people "sloppy" because they only care about getting the job done vs getting the job done right.

Appreciate the input. :wink:

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
OMG!

How are these people getting paid? I did a delivery (motor) route where I delivered to individual homes. Basically slow down in front of house and toss paper out the window. If I got a complaint that someone did not receive their paper, they deducted 1.00 from my pay for the week, even if I missed 1 day. My 1 route was 6 streets, 100 papers. I was only given 101 papers to deliver that route. I totally agree with not only the sloppiness of the delivery people, but the sloppiness of the press company themselves. If I had an address that was supposed to receive a paper and there were 3 papers laying in there driveway I was to contact my manager and stop delivering until I was told to resume delivery.

I do not blame you one bit for taking all of them sloppy soak and wet papers to the press office and dumping them on there desks.

Sue

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Had 12 paper routes over my career (10 to 12 year old) as paperboy extraordinaire so long ago. Mornings and afternoons. That and a lot of swimming turned the legs into tree trunks. I was getting more in tips at Christmas time than any adult I knew was making at work in a week.

I always ordered extra papers on the weekend and hustled them downtown in front of the PO'ed news stand guy. But hey, he stood still, I delivered to your car window. Man those were the good old days.

Can't wait until I get old enough to do it again.

OP
OP
Blacksheep

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
What I miss about my old route, was the old German couple who lived above a tavern. Simple was how they appeared to live, always spoke German and there was always a pie cooling on a small table outside their door.

Not sure why I held onto that memory but it is one of my most cherished. :wink:

Luck Be a Lady

Dec 21, 2007
Arizona & Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 & ACE 250
Blacksheep said:
5 inches of snow predicted for today, 7 already on the ground, still snowing. ???

YAY!! There's no snow down here in Alabama........sorry blacksheep, just had to rub it in!

We're itchin' to get back home but gonna have to wait till the beginning of April.

Kathy

OP
OP
Blacksheep

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Luck Be a Lady said:
Blacksheep said:
5 inches of snow predicted for today, 7 already on the ground, still snowing. ???

YAY!! There's no snow down here in Alabama........sorry blacksheep, just had to rub it in!

We're itchin' to get back home but gonna have to wait till the beginning of April.

Kathy

Beginning of April, there will be PUULENTY of snow waiting for you. ;D

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont take the paper anymore either I use to help the guy that is in charge of the paperboys on his route years ago as well as a couple of other friends and I told him several times to the point of nagging and he did nothing about the lousy service ; paper at end of drive, in flower bed when muddy, under bush on edge of house meaning go off the porch walk across the yard and crawl under bush, in the cats water dish, hitting the kittens or denting the bottom of storm door! So I just did not renew so I miss alot of whats going on! Like did not know 2 places down the street were broken into!

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
We just got about 3 - 4 inches of snow. I went out and shoveled since it was light and fluffy, instead of getting out the snow blower. Not sure how much to expect overnight.

I thought spring was just around the corner with the skunks we have been seeing and smelling.

Sue

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has really warmed here 30 in the early am going up to 67 (might anyway) then at night 18 to 27 :icon_scratch:
it wont be to bad I dont think for the rest of season but I still am afraid to plant any early blooming flowers we have had hard freezes as late as early April! I am glad we arent shoveling and I do feel sorry for those of you that are!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions