Ye olde cellar hole - Spectacular buckle! and scenic pics

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
I started of using a bounty hunter junior! :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ye' olde cellar hole - Spectacular buckle! and scenic pics

So for the first time, I brought my F-4 and Vulcan 360 to the old cellar hole to see what I could find. Started off with some square nails and junk, and then a nice high tone turned out to be a beautiful ornate buckle! That made my day! then there were lots of random iron pieces, and then even an old tiller attachment from a tractor that was just left there. Nice day, very warm out, and totally worth it!
IMG_2248[1].JPG IMG_2249[1].JPG IMG_2250[1].JPG IMG_2252[1].JPG IMG_2253[1].JPG IMG_2258[1].JPG IMG_2259[1].JPG IMG_2261[1].JPG IMG_2265[1].JPG IMG_2266[1].JPG
If any one could give me an estimate on the buckle date, or what that long metal tube thing is, I would really appreciate it!

Upvote 17

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That buckle is very nice and appears to be very old.
Grats

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it heavy brass or stamped? Also what else was found, I believe the iron I'm seeing here is 19th century.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a killer rare designed Colonial Shoe buckle..I have dozens and never seen that style..It may be stamped!

Heat a cup of peroxide in the mic for 1 minute and throw the buckle in for 3 minutes..The key is NOT to brush them off when you take them out repeat if needed..
Im curious

~Blaze

OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it heavy brass or stamped? Also what else was found, I believe the iron I'm seeing here is 19th century.

I'm not completely sure yet. I still have to clean it more. The other stuff was just square nails and junk metal, and those bars with holes in them. Oh yes and a nice horse shoe. I could try and get more pics if that would help?

OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a killer rare designed Colonial Shoe buckle..I have dozens and never seen that style..It may be stamped!

Heat a cup of peroxide in the mic for 1 minute and throw the buckle in for 3 minutes..The key is NOT to brush them off when you take them out repeat if needed..
Im curious

~Blaze

Really?! That's great news! I'll have to see if I have any peroxide. Is there any risk of damaging it with peroxide?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful buckle recovery! :occasion14:

The peroxide method works very well...just take your time.

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous shoe buckle! I agree with last half of the 1700's. I love the design!!!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Really?! That's great news! I'll have to see if I have any peroxide. Is there any risk of damaging it with peroxide?

Not a buckle but a coin you can mess up if your not careful..You can brush it with a soft toothbrush but you have to wait until it's dry.
The peroxide should make that green patina stand out if you brush it wet they usually strip it all off..

~Blaze

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my friend I've found about 20 shoe buckles but never one quite like it. Should date 1720-1790 I think without looking at my books. If you pm me your email i would be happy to email you an awesome free buckle reference you can download. It's fantastic and gives great pics with date ranges. Here is the closest style I've ever found to yours. But that baby is unique and I LOVE UNIQUE
image.jpeg

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great buckle! Definitely a rarer variety.

Congrats on a complete one!

Steve

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
The next step is to take me to that Cellar Hole and i will help you clean out that site also!:thumbsup:

~Blaze

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on those finds. :occasion14: Looks like you had a good hunt, pulling old targets.

OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much everyone! This truly is like my first significant find and I'm ecstatic! Right now I'm taking the cleaning process slowly, but I'll be sure to keep you updated! I'm willing to bet there is more back at the site, but It's looking like this week is going to be rainy. Next time though, I'll need to bring some clippers because the place is overgrown with prickers. And man those prickers hurt.
I just have to say, when I joined treasurenet years back, I was so amazed at what you guys would find, but then there I was finding modern clad and little bottles. But now, WOOHOO! They say it's not the detector, but tbh, I think my F4 and pinpointer sure helped me out! Happy hunting everyone!!!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you so much everyone! This truly is like my first significant find and I'm ecstatic! Right now I'm taking the cleaning process slowly, but I'll be sure to keep you updated! I'm willing to bet there is more back at the site, but It's looking like this week is going to be rainy. Next time though, I'll need to bring some clippers because the place is overgrown with prickers. And man those prickers hurt.
I just have to say, when I joined treasurenet years back, I was so amazed at what you guys would find, but then there I was finding modern clad and little bottles. But now, WOOHOO! They say it's not the detector, but tbh, I think my F4 and pinpointer sure helped me out! Happy hunting everyone!!!

I had fun swinging the F4 for most of 2014. My favorite coil is the 9" x 11" DD. Do you hunt in all metal or do you discriminate? I ran in discriminate mode. I was new to the hobby and it paid for itself in a few months. I also went my 1st 6 months without a pin pointer. They sure help in target retrieval, and do not hunt without one.
Good Luck, looking forward to seeing your next finds post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread