BLUEYELLOWCLAY.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 567
Upvote 0

jimmygoat

Dec 1, 2009
Northern Cal.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D-5 inch dredge
That stuff looks nasty. I don't think I'd run that through my sluice. Gold should be on top. Jimmygoat

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could be rust stained,from black sands.or better yet GOLD :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:------probably stained,wich ever the case you sure do have a LOT of it.

OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jimmygoat said:
That stuff looks nasty. I don't think I'd run that through my sluice. Gold should be on top. Jimmygoat
there is only 2 inches of gravel on top , and yes it does have gold [color] lots of garnites.what is cool is the clay, you can peel it, the layers come apart and you can rool it up. the yellow clay is on the bottom layer. just down stream about 100 feet, the two colors mix an it turns green. abloutly a amasing place.

i just looked at the picture and you can see the layers.

Attachments

• layers.jpg
    layers.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 474
OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
strickman said:
could be rust stained,from black sands.or better yet GOLD :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:------probably stained,wich ever the case you sure do have a LOT of it.

very interisting, rust from black sand sitting on the bed rock, lets hope so.
20 feet up stream it all turns yellow.

Attachments

• blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,519

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Hmmm,

Hmmm, it looks to me that you're in a very iron rich area. I have not followed your posts, and rarely look in here...so don't know what may or may not have been said by others.

Usually iron in one form or another is responsible for coloring clays or soils.
Some examples:

• maghemite will color soils a red or red-brown color, and will have some magnetism to the soil, and that soil may very well compensate about mid-range on a ground balance scale.
  • a chemically reduced iron in the ferrous state (Fe+2) will give clays a blue color, whereas an oxidized iron Fe+3 will give clays a red color; these clays are typically weakly magnetic, and ground balance about two-thirds GB range, maybe even approaching the lower magnetite GB compensation range. Of course these clays are not at all magnetic compared to magnetite.
  • some limonite (hydrated iron oxides) will cause soils to take on a brownish-yellow color among others. Weakly magnetic, GB compensation roughly two-thirds on a given scale.

In your instance, I suspect your yellow clays are rich in a hydrated ferric oxide named "Lepidocrocite". It is yellow to brown in color and is a known constituent of some yellow clays. It can be quite magnetic at times, but not as magnetic as magnetite. It typically compensates on a GB (ground balance) scale above maghemite on up to about two-thirds of a typical GB scale.

Generally most soils contain several % by weight of iron in one form or another, often mixtures. Most of the iron present within soils is a part of the clay fraction of the soil.[/list]

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Hmmm,

Hmmm, it looks to me that you're in a very iron rich area. I have not followed your posts, and rarely look in here...so don't know what may or may not have been said by others.

Usually iron in one form or another is responsible for coloring clays or soils.
Some examples:

• maghemite will color soils a red or red-brown color, and will have some magnetism to the soil, and that soil may very well compensate about mid-range on a ground balance scale.
  • a chemically reduced iron in the ferrous state (Fe+2) will give clays a blue color, whereas an oxidized iron Fe+3 will give clays a red color; these clays are typically weakly magnetic, and ground balance about two-thirds GB range, maybe even approaching the lower magnetite GB compensation range. Of course these clays are not at all magnetic compared to magnetite.
  • some limonite (hydrated iron oxides) will cause soils to take on a brownish-yellow color among others. Weakly magnetic, GB compensation roughly two-thirds on a given scale.

In your instance, I suspect your yellow clays are rich in a hydrated ferric oxide named "Lepidocrocite". It is yellow to brown in color and is a known constituent of some yellow clays. It can be quite magnetic at times, but not as magnetic as magnetite. It typically compensates on a GB (ground balance) scale above maghemite on up to about two-thirds of a typical GB scale.

Generally most soils contain several % by weight of iron in one form or another, often mixtures. Most of the iron present within soils is a part of the clay fraction of the soil.[/list]

HERE COMES THE SCIENCE

AUMIKE

Greenie
May 27, 2012
Mother Lode
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jim it's always great to hear your opinion. Where you been?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seen gray clay like that in a gold mine that was actice till the 1950's (in Calaveras Co. CA). Great pics! The clay vien was not as striking as yours, though. Check it out under a mineral scope mine was LOADED with very well formed quartz crystals. I posted one several months ago. Check out yours under power. TTC

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would like to do some pottery with it mix the yellow and blue

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread