Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I picked these at a garage sale a couple weeks back. I couldn't see a mark on either piece, but they just looked right and I couldn't let them swim away, so we settled on a twenty dollar bill per piece. I ended up finding a tiny 14C on the locket, so that was good. The wax seal ring tested at least 14K and it is just gorgeous! The pictures don't do it a lot justice. The message around the band is Italian and translates, "An antique and gift from the Baron Stephanis". Can anyone help date the ring by looking at the swivel hardware/soldering? Is it possible that the wax seal is actually far older than the ring? Ancient Greek...? Doubt it, but it's fun to ponder.

Thanks for looking, and for any insights you may have.

HP! (Happy Picking)

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go melt some wax and get a positive impression of the ring. It might make identification easier. If you need some wax, I have some specifically for seals. I'll happily send you a piece if you want to try it

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy friggin shiznat.

Um... that ring... BANNER ! ! !

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAn o man...

That ring is a stellar find.

Where did you find that ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO... that solder is a repair.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And... BTW... this is IMO NOT a "seal".

This is a cameo ring.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You hit a homerun... bases loaded.

You need to have that gold tested for positive karat... this will tell / give a better idea to its age.

Higher the karat... generally... the older it is.

IF 14k... then an Art Nuevo era reproduction. IMO

Last edited:
OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks doubleARC. Yard sale, in a bag with with the locket and two pocket watches. (Not precious, but nice early 20th century Waltham and Seth Thomas)

I did an inconspicuous acid test on the underside of the cameo, and got an easy 14K pass. I don't remember if I tested higher. I should have. Looks like it has a hairline crack in the gold in the band, I'll have to take a photo later.

So, a cameo ring--not a wax seal/stamp at all? The motif is indented, like a wax seal, not protruding like a cameo... Is it possible that the cameo or seal is ancient, then turned into a ring? Is it possible that the entire ring is ancient, with the Italian added when it was gifted? Was the cameo always set in the gold/top portion, and then turned into a ring? I have so many questions... haha

It came out of the same estate as the coins and flatware in my other thread.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be.

After all... anything is possible.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
" The message around the band is Italian and translates, "An antique and gift from the Baron Stephanis"."

This would suggest to me that the seal(?) was much older when taken and made into a ring. Have done a little searching for Baron Stephanis with no results, so unfortunately, probably not a famous person in history. But I'm with AARC here, that it appears to be an amazing find!! Can't wait to find out what the final purity tests out at! ...Is there any way to get an ID on the type of material on the insert that is non-destructive?

....Just a passing thought, but is there a chance that this could have come from WWII, back during the German occupation of Italy? It might have been a secret...like a pass key or something, as well. Probably not, but is great to think about! :thumbsup:

Nah, the Germans might have taken just for the gold. Wouldn't have been practical.

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert but I do estimate 17th century! Killer find! Oh too bad someone did a real hatchet job on it when they repaired it

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert but I do estimate 17th century! Killer find! Oh too bad someone did a real hatchet job on it when they repaired it

I don't think it isn't anything that couldn't fixed... correctly this time. Depends on if it's valuable enough to have done.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EDIT...
I apologize...

I stated earlier that it was a "cameo" ring...

I take that back... I meant... "Intaglio"... which IS what it is IMO.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're finds are absolutely great. I would love that ring! I want to wear it argh! My bet is that it really is old, however, they have been made up into the modern times as well, best to go to a jeweler to have it checked out or email this person Maejean Vintage she knows a ton. Maybe able to help?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread