Yellowstone area treasures, of any kind ???

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
The family is taking a trip out to Yellowstone, and i was wondering if anyone on here may have any treasure related ideas, tales, suggestions, or other, for things i might want to keep an eye out for in a treasure hunter, or value wise mindset ?.
There are many more categories in the forums now, with that being said, maybe i can get a diverse group of possible treasure hunting ideas, or suggestions of things to maybe be on the lookout for.

Also, any other Yellowstone area tips, suggestions, experience, advice, or other info is also welcome. Thank you.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't heard of any treasures, but do not pick up anything off federal property.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not tell any one when you get there your looking for treasure you will not be received well at all in that area.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Order the calf fries at Pahaska Teepee

Carry bear spray and wear noise-makers (bells) if you go hiking.

Look for bear scat to see whether its a Black bear, or a Grizzly.

Black bear scat will have bits and pieces of berries or other vegetation in it.

Grizzly scat has bells in it and smells like bear spray.

Just kidding.

Not about the calf fries though: they're excellent.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Eastern Idaho, near the Wyoming and Montana borders have dozens, if not hundreds of outlaw, pioneer, miner, and other tales. A little research, and you should have lots of areas to potentially explore.

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP
lobsterman

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
Sorry i should have probably said it better, (I am not going on vacation to go mine the national parks, LOL.) I am meaning ideas like maybe buying rust free antique vehicles out west, and shipping them back to the north east. or maybe things to look for in antique shops out that way that may be different than i would see around here in Maine (such as maybe Indian art, or textiles). Or if maybe turquois is cheaper buying it out west Or yes even picking up odd stones like obsidian, or other stones that are not common to my area (obviously not taking anything from within the park). Also, perhaps any old adventure, or treasure book suggestions for around that area.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You aren't going to find antique vehicles, assuming you're thinking cheap prices. Ain't gonna happen. No more here than anywhere else. You may find some antique farm implements.
Jim

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't heard of any treasures, but do not pick up anything off federal property.

That's not quite true. It is legal to detect in all of our National Forests. I found this out when inquiring about gathering knapping stone in the Shawnee Nat. Forest in So. IL. No problem for small quantities of rock and you can detect for coins and relics. Gary

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
National forests, yes, but I don't believe you can detect in National Parks.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not quite true. It is legal to detect in all of our National Forests. I found this out when inquiring about gathering knapping stone in the Shawnee Nat. Forest in So. IL. No problem for small quantities of rock and you can detect for coins and relics. Gary

That is not true, it varies by state and forest, in Florida it is against the law to metal detect Ocala National Forest, it is illegal to detect in all National parks too.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
depends on what you value.
Something scarce among your interests might hold greater value than for someone else.
I'd be keeping an eye out for old U.S.F.S. lanterns or similar from the region.
Without expecting to be overwhelmed with numbers or cheap costs.
Though one never knows till done looking.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Every opinion voiced thus far are good to one degree or another. Please let me elaborate a bit further. Antiques, especially antique vehicles that are not rusted out hulks are rare in the part of the west that you are planning to visit. While there are occasional barn finds, those are typically dealt with by professionals. Other antiques are less abundant than they are in the northeast. This is due to the later settlement by European descendants and by the still less dense population than the northeast. Most towns of over a thousand or two population will likely have either thrift or second hand stores. Actual antique stores? Far less likely. I have been to towns in upstate New York that were heavily populated with antique stores, and I am simply making a comparison in that regard. I wish you well in your travels.

Time for more coffee.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might find some old antique pic-a-nic baskets, oh wait that's Jellystone not Yellowstone.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is not true, it varies by state and forest, in Florida it is against the law to metal detect Ocala National Forest, it is illegal to detect in all National parks too.

It would be good to check before you go. I know Shawnee is okay as is the NF in NE GA. Chattahoochee I think is the name? My brother has a cabin down there and he checked while I was there and said it was okay. I checked Shawnee about 20 yrs. ago so rules may have also changed since then. Gary

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be good to check before you go. I know Shawnee is okay as is the NF in NE GA. Chattahoochee I think is the name? My brother has a cabin down there and he checked while I was there and said it was okay. I checked Shawnee about 20 yrs. ago so rules may have also changed since then. Gary

Yeah here in FL you cannot detect in ANY National Areas... and only in State areas where it is allowed... some by permit only.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to mention this since your post said you and your family would be visiting Yellowstone this summer. When you enter the park, you will most likely be handed some brochures that mention to not attempt to walk up to any of the wildlife you see while driving through the park.

Many of the park visitors will ignore this and you will see cars parked along the road and people getting out of their cars to get close-up pics of bison. Stay in your car! When the bison has had enough, they will stand up and go in the direction of their choosing.

Just want you and your family to be safe in the park. I will be out in that area this summer also on a fishing trip and some of out group has never been in the park.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can watch youtube search for Bison attack. They would not let me post here because of age restriction, but typically a bison will fling the person up into the air like a rag doll.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can watch youtube search for Bison attack. They would not let me post here because of age restriction, but typically a bison will fling the person up into the air like a rag doll.

Yep..immediately followed by stomping your corpse into the dirt. moose.gif

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You are correct! The last time I was there, the park ranger said twelve people had already been attacked! I even saw a knucklehead sneeking up on a bull moose with his camera on a tripod. Get a zoom lens, it's safer!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions