old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wanted to share this information that I found that an early settler to Montana had written down.

The river that we call the Yellowstone river is not the stream which the Indians called by that name. Their name for the Yellowstone was ''Ettschumin''. It is derived from a peculiar sort of edged tool which the Indians used to separate the shreds of flesh from the inside of the skin which they were preparing for tanning. We nowadays call it a flesher or scraper.
There is a prominent bluff along the Yellowstone river which is corrugated on it's rim like the edge of this tool and the Indians, noting the resemblance, gave the name of the tool to the river.

Here is a photo I took of this escarpment. You can see the corrugated rim and the top (You cannot see) is flat.

Folder 1 004.JPG Folder 1 005.JPG

But the Indians did have a river that they called Yellowstone. It was what the present-day map (Of Montana) shows as Wolf Creek which flows into the Judith River. I was so called from the fact that near it's head there were large caves in which were great deposits of chrome-yellow clay. These clays were used in yellow paint. There is much history retold that all tribes, east and west were constantly battling for the right to get this desirable coloring material.

I thought you might like a little insight on this. More to come if you wish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that bit of information.I used to live in Billings and worked for the water department.The Yellowstone is where Billings got its water supply.So I saw it almost everyday for years.Never once did I look for artifacts in Montana.Different priorities then that and the fact that I have been known to be a knucklehead in different periods of my life....mjm

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really good info and story old digger, thanks for sharing it.:icon_thumleft: Kind of reminds me of our "Mesa's" out west.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting! Thanks for the enlightenment ;)

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Yellowstone River right below the hill in the foreground and would love to hunt the area above the river. There has to be camp site and lost points from hunting below the rims.

Folder 1 005.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread