halfdime 017.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 7,052
Upvote 0

HomesteadHunter

Nov 14, 2008
Amherstburg, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75.
What an absolutley beautiful coin you found. I wouldn't touch it, just leave it exactly the way it is. And good job on not damaging it during recovery, very well done.

James.
HomesteadHunter

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a BANNER find without a doubt! I believe almost anybody who detects and looks for old coins would be one happy person finding your coin.

I know of two others found ,either 1794 or 1795, not sure of the years, I know one was 1794 and he sent it away for grading and slabbing, and he was not a happy camper with the fact it came back saying either Cleaned or Improperly Cleaned and he swears he did nothing to it. So you are at the mercy of the company and how they might deal with it, since they will most likely know by the appearance it did come from the ground.

With that said, I believe it is somewhere between a Fine and Very Fine for details, and lean closer to Very Fine. Again, congratulations on many of us here what would be considered "dream find".

Don

S

seger98

Don in SJ said:
Now that is a BANNER find without a doubt! I believe almost anybody who detects and looks for old coins would be one happy person finding your coin.

I know of two others found ,either 1794 or 1795, not sure of the years, I know one was 1794 and he sent it away for grading and slabbing, and he was not a happy camper with the fact it came back saying either Cleaned or Improperly Cleaned and he swears he did nothing to it. So you are at the mercy of the company and how they might deal with it, since they will most likely know by the appearance it did come from the ground.

With that said, I believe it is somewhere between a Fine and Very Fine for details, and lean closer to Very Fine. Again, congratulations on many of us here what would be considered "dream find".

Don

sad to hear that, but you are correct on your statement! You are at the mercy.

Congratulations on making the BANNER!

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Beautiful coin. Not something you see posted every day. Congratulations on the banner.

KG6YLL

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
WOW! Nice, another coin I hope to find someday ;D

I would say a Very Fine as well :thumbsup:

How about a 3D avatar of your coin, like the one I have?
Just say the word and I will make you one.

HH,
Donny

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Scratcher, I have been just staring at that coin of yours for the longest time!! ::) ::) ::)

That is a coin find of a lifetime!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Even though, like you say, you probably won't find another in your lifetime, you've found a coin that 99% will never find in our lifetimes!!

Major Congrats!! Well Deserved BANNER!! :icon_king: :icon_king:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some better news, the fact you found a 1795 is great, but there are 10 varieties of the 1795 Half Dime.I was hoping it was one of the Rare varieties$ for 1795, but I don't think so, but it is listed on coinfacts.com as Very Scarce(R4) for that variety, so that is great news.

I am fairly certain your Half Dime is a Variety known as "Valentine 6" I went thru some auction sites and started eliminating other varieties and there are big differences on some, but when I found a great photo of one on Heritage Auction archives, I am fairly certain it matches yours.

I suggest to anyone interested in trying to find values and even try to attribute varieties, that one thing you can do to do this is join some of the auction sites on line. I use Heritage a lot for help in attributing varieties, if I do not have the books for the coin and also for giggle purposes, the values and how they are being graded.

Don

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
Edited- this is Valentine 6, as Don says. Valentine-5 has a similar die crack from the bridge of Liberty's nose to the rim, but this coin can be distinguished as V-6 by the reverse die. I think it is Rarity-4, making it a slightly scarcer die variety for the year (but not one of the killer rare ones).

I think it grades higher than people are saying here- and the grading services would peg it as having VF35 details. Its surfaces are nice enough that it might just be certified as problem-free, but it's more likely they will identify it as a ground recovery and denote "environmental damage." It does not have the "improperly cleaned" look to it, which is a good thing. Is it bent at all? Many, if not most, of these early half dimes are slightly bent, so check it carefully for that. If not bent, I think its auction value would be between $3,000 and $4,250, depending on how nice or not-nice the surfaces are when viewed under a lamp. Great find!

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to quit, you have found your best find! On the other hand there might be another.....Kane 23

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a most amazing find! :o A banner find all the way! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread