🥇 BANNER Yesssssssssss!

U

umrgolf

(found out this buckle is a rarity 8, meaning there are 16-30 known)

I have always wanted to dig a CS buckle of any type, and today I was able to cross it off the list!!

I hadn't been out in a couple weeks so I decided to head out this morning for a few hours. I went back to the spot where I found the 1851 Officer's sword belt buckle and sabre guard last month, and not 10 minutes into today's hunt, I found a pulltab LOL. And then, two feet away I scored the buckle. I immediately called a few buddies and was almost so excited I couldn't speak.

Honest to God, when I first dug it I thought it said "08"... I had never seen this style buckle so I knocked off a little dirt off and when I realized what I was looking at, I was absolutely floored. In my area there was VERY LITTLE confederate activity so this is a very significant find. I would almost have to believe this was a battlefield pickup that was carried back by a Union soldier. Unfortunately the loop broke into 2 pieces as I was pulling it from the rock hard dirt. I will be sending it off to get repaired next week!

The buckle was identified by my good friend, Josh (Sentinel) as a LEECH & RIGDON CS tongue produced in Memphis, TN. Thanks for looking!
The last 2 photos are General Nathan Bedford Forrest wearing a tongue and wreath buckle made by the same company :thumbsup:

*buckle was selected for W&E Treasures annual best finds

Attachments

• IMG_0997.JPG
    IMG_0997.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0996_1.JPG
    IMG_0996_1.JPG
    300.4 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0994_1.JPG
    IMG_0994_1.JPG
    352.5 KB · Views: 141
  • LieutenantGeneralNathanBedfordForrest.jpg
    LieutenantGeneralNathanBedfordForrest.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 242
  • LieutenantGeneralNathanBedfordForrest 2.jpg
    LieutenantGeneralNathanBedfordForrest 2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Upvote 25

TiBorn

Nov 16, 2011
Ticonderoga
Detector(s) used
Kellyco Predator II, Bounty Hunter Quickdraw 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, congratulations.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man, he just replied and said 8 means 16-30 are known :headbang: :headbang:
Yep!!!Simply spectacular bud!!!You know I am a tongue and wreath guy but I know my chances of ever digging any CS is beyond slim and none!
You are dang fortunate to find those other two pieces,I cant tell you how many fragments of buckles I have found and very seldom do I find the remaing pieces.
Hats off to ya bud,Banner vote in as well!!

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Yep!!!Simply spectacular bud!!!You know I am a tongue and wreath guy but I know my chances of ever digging any CS is beyond slim and none!
You are dang fortunate to find those other two pieces,I cant tell you how many fragments of buckles I have found and very seldom do I find the remaing pieces.
Hats off to ya bud,Banner vote in as well!!

The only reason I found them is because it broke when I was pulling it out of the hole. Although cast, it was very thinly constructed and the pieces snapped like toothpicks when I was pulling it out of the hole. The back of the disc was the only thing exposed and i honestly thought it was a large cent :( oh well, what can you do.. Thanks to all for replies and banners

DiggingNC

Apr 23, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett ProPointer, SunRay Pro Gold Headphones. Previousdetectors were White's, Garrett's and others.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful!! Absolutely beautiful!!!! I dream of finding a CS buckle. Congrats!

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a beautiful buckle, I would keep it just as it is, without repairing it. Are you sure you broke it? HH

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beautiful buckle, I would keep it just as it is, without repairing it. Are you sure you broke it? HH

There's no reason not to repair it because you can do something very simple from the back, and it doesn't even have to be permanent, just enough to hold everything in place. I would not have a repair done that involved altering the patina for the entire piece to have the break points blend in. In this case less is definitely more.

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Yeah, it was me that broke it. The break points are shiny. :tongue3: When I was chiseling the hole, all I saw was the disc upside down and thought it may be a large cent. I reached down to pull it out like any other circular piece of brass not knowing what it was. The loop was hidden in the side of the plug.. when I pulled it out the loop stayed in the hole :dontknow: If you've ever held this variant of the L & R, you'll see its about as thick as a toothpick on that side.

I'd like to have it repaired for the fear of losing the smaller portion that broke, its tiny. Like Patch said, I would never have it repaired and then altered to hide the break, only to make it whole.

penniesmine

Jan 17, 2010
Low Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC/ Fisher F-75 Special Edittion LTD Black Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real Nice Jeff.....Banner for sure!!:hello2:

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesssssssssss! Congrats on making it up top Jeff!! It is very deserving to be up there!!!!

IM

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, quickly up top as is deserved, you'd have to have thumped your gord not to think this was a Banner find :occasion14: :occasion14: :occasion14:

oldworldcollector

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to treasure hunting. But I know beauty when I see it! Very exceptional indeed!!
Great piece of history. Congratulations on your beautiful:goldtrophy: find.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:wav::wav::wav::wav:

The bucket list is getting shorter! Congrats on this monumental find!!! Banner find well deserved.

HH,
Anita

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting