68 KB · Views: 902
Upvote 0

limitedthoughts

Mar 8, 2008
vale, oregon
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Quick Silver
Re: Yesterday's BIG "find"

One day that sign will come off and it will be loaded with money and rings. Just wait for it.

LT

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yup,got a few like that to.................................SUCKS!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

I hope to never see one of those in my neck of the woods....That Blows!!!!!! >:( jgas

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

limitedthoughts said:
One day that sign will come off and it will be loaded with money and rings. Just wait for it.

LT
Or, maybe it will fall off and get hacked into little pieces and burned....you know, during a big storm or something.....those things happen..... ::)

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland

Hmmm, well it is an athletic field. Playing devil's advocate here, I can see why people don't want us digging on athletic fields. I'm sure your like me and are carefull with your plugs and repairs but people get excited when they see you out digging. I would have loved to detect on some of the old soccer pitches but I always considered them off limits for this reason.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

reason that sign is up is cause of jackholes who dig an don't cover..There is someone around where I live that cherry picks in parks an leave their holes open..I know this cause I'm the one who is filling in all the holes their to lazy to fill, got enough energy to dig it then you have enough energy to fill it back up..if not don't go detecting..period! I hope your park will change their mind... Why don't you just go over to the city builing an talk to the manager of the rec dept...see if you can get special permission to detect there...

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland

creeper71 said:
reason that sign is up is cause of jackholes who dig an don't cover..There is someone around where I live that cherry picks in parks an leave their holes open..I know this cause I'm the one who is filling in all the holes their to lazy to fill, got enough energy to dig it then you have enough energy to fill it back up..if not don't go detecting..period! I hope your park will change their mind... Why don't you just go over to the city builing an talk to the manager of the rec dept...see if you can get special permission to detect there...
That's what I was alluding to. I remember someone dug up a football (soccer) pitch in Ireland and left dozens of holes all over the field. People were not happy, it was reported on the radio and newspapers. It only takes a few idiots to ruin it for responsible detectorists.

kxcy

Sep 30, 2008

dontcha just love those signs??
i hate em to
makes you want to :stop: and :'(

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro

creeper71 said:

And the sad thing is - it takes less energy and time to fill the darn hole than it does to dig it! :violent1:

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That sign does not look official to me. Perhaps someone who did not want to see you detecting there put it up. I would call the police or school board and ask about it. There is no city, park, or school board ordinance cited on the sign. I would sure check it out!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That sign is not just up there because of folks that don't dig and cover!  That sign is up there also because of M O R O N S that go out and dig plugs in the middle of dry spells and kill the grass!  >:(

When it gets dry here, I do research.  No way will I mess up somebody's yard for a few coins.  They'll be there come fall.

-Buckleboy

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

jimb said:
That sign does not look official to me. Perhaps someone who did not want to see you detecting there put it up. I would call the police or school board and ask about it. There is no city, park, or school board ordinance cited on the sign. I would sure check it out!
You know, he has a point there. It doesn't look like anything a city department would install. It looks like it's only being held up by plastic zip-ties....

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree with AF1733. That doesn't look like an official sign to me. Real ones normally cite some city code or give the name of the responsible division of the city such as "Parks Department", etc. Check it out before you give up. If it's not official, it will probably fall down if you know what I mean.
M :wink: nty

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I metal detect and I also play soccer, so I can see both views here. Even though as detectorists we cover holes, the ground is still "soft" where the plug was dug and as soon as a cleat steps on the plug while running it can pull up without any effort.
I've seen responsible detectorists on the field covering in their holes and replacing the plug, but playinmg on the pitch shortly thereafter has caused the plugs and dirt to come out and make dangerous divots. I have stepped and tripped in a few myself. A player on my team sprained his ankle in a freshly replaced plug.
I feel any field currently being used by teams should be off limits to digging. That's just my opinion. I always avoid the fields and look elsewhere to hunt.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Damon64 said:
I metal detect and I also play soccer, so I can see both views here. Even though as detectorists we cover holes, the ground is still "soft" where the plug was dug and as soon as a cleat steps on the plug while running it can pull up without any effort.
I've seen responsible detectorists on the field covering in their holes and replacing the plug, but playinmg on the pitch shortly thereafter has caused the plugs and dirt to come out and make dangerous divots. I have stepped and tripped in a few myself. A player on my team sprained his ankle in a freshly replaced plug.
I feel any field currently being used by teams should be off limits to digging. That's just my opinion. I always avoid the fields and look elsewhere to hunt.
I detect at a lot of soccer fields in my area, and I never dig plugs there. In fact, the only tool I take in with me is a long screwdriver for proding. I do that just so no one can say that I'm diggin holes that people may trip in.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good idea 1733. I have a set of probes made just for that purpose. They are copper about 10" long. One has a small ball on the tip for probling and the other has a tiny "spoon" for prying out a coin. They work good for shallow targets but deeper one give me a problem. Monty

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Monty said:
Good idea 1733. I have a set of probes made just for that purpose. They are copper about 10" long. One has a small ball on the tip for probling and the other has a tiny "spoon" for prying out a coin. They work good for shallow targets but deeper one give me a problem. Monty
I'm lucky at these particular fields in that the glass is thick but the soil is always wet. All I have to do is probe around till I tap the coin, swivel the screwdriver around, and pluck the coin out with my fingers.

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

IMHO they are too trashy for the trouble is causes......if you like tin foil, and tight grass, and new coins :icon_scratch:
Now the sidelines can be done with less "moral" fuss.....but even still kind of hard to detect, I opt for playground near the field, and near the concessions

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread