Yesterdays Cold Rainy Colonial forage...coins, buttons, broken glass, but not dreams

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy Bill D and I got out yesterday for some more colonial relic hunting. The cold weather and rain could not keep us away as we bundled up and put on our weather gear and made the best of it.

We initially spent some time scouting out some other areas of the property and a return visit to another area on the site that yielded a few finds last fall. That site was mixed with colonial to post-civil war era stuff and not much of it. I managed a few buttons and four coins. 1903 V Nickle, 1888 IH penny, 1865 IH penny and an 1863 IH penny. Not exactly the age I was looking for, but i will take them - at least two of them were pre 1865 - though nothing to write home about.

While surface hunting at the colonial ground zero site - I did manage to dig a nice example of ingenuity at work. This early spoon was broken and folded into an early make-shift funnel. Very unique piece and probably my favorite detected find of the hunt.

Towards the second half of the day we decided to go back to the pit and dig as much as we could - though sifting was impossible being how wet and sloppy everything was. We did OK there, managed about a dozen buttons and some other odds and ends. We located four bottles, all broken - one of the days it will pay off. This pit is late 1700s and there is plenty to piece back together after some sifting. I was happy to locate the other half to my china bowl and many other pieces to other puzzles. The early case gin bottle is almost all there and I feel good about finding the remaining pieces once we sift it out. I keep the bases as they do display relics very nicely. While the glass was broken, my dreams of piecing together some nice finds and locating an intact piece have not wavered.

The rose quartz point was eyeballed while roaming around.

I also proved to bill just how much we missed in our backfill as we dug the majority of the stuff from previously scanned dirt upon the fill in process. At the end of the hunt we decided to surface hunt for a few minutes - one of the targets I dug was a large hunk of silver. When I first cleaned it, I thought it was lead. When I got home and cleaned it, it appears to be silver, and though I wished for it to be a chunk of a big cob like Joey's recent find - I believe it is just a hunk of silver melted down. It does look cut, but it probably was nabbed off for another purpose.

Bill did get the best of me with a nice (small but nice) cut piece of spanish silver. Here it is fresh from the ground and it is a beaut!

HH until the next time.

Dan

Attachments

• P1a.jpg
    P1a.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 103
  • P1.jpg
    P1.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 105
  • P2.jpg
    P2.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 105
  • P3.jpg
    P3.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 111
  • P4.jpg
    P4.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 114
  • P5.jpg
    P5.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 112
  • P6.jpg
    P6.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 108
  • P7.jpg
    P7.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 102
  • P8.jpg
    P8.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 115
  • P9.jpg
    P9.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 103
  • P10.jpg
    P10.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 97
  • P11.jpg
    P11.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 102
  • P12.jpg
    P12.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 107
  • P13.jpg
    P13.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 104
  • P14.jpg
    P14.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 110
  • P15.jpg
    P15.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Bill_Coin.JPG
    Bill_Coin.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 11

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That point is killer. The rest is great too. Also liking that little slice of Spanish silver. They seem to elude me in my area. Congrats

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That was a hardcore hunt for sure Dan. But I had a blast and we both came home with some nice keepers. I really like that spoon converted into a funnel. Very unique and something I've never seen. Did it have any markings? Ready to do it again soon.

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome digs buddy!!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Dan. That's a hearty piece of case bottle. Hopefully you can find the remaining pieces of that and the pottery.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing but good, great, and better in that post ! All kinds of fun ! MaineRelic

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn..looks like you guys have a lot of fun when you go hunting !!

Sweet finds.... I gotta try pit digging this summer !!!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds guys, always love reading your posts.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice relic round up there Dan, that point sure looks good. When I am diving I find those bases and tops from black glass bottles sticking out of the silt often and every now and then they come out complete, looks like you came pretty close with one of yours.
ZDD

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice point...find of the day IMO.

OK Bill's quarter bit is a good find too.

I'd take either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread