Yesterdays colonial digs...all I can say is...Ive got a lot of BRASS!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday's colonial digs...all I can say is...I've got a lot of BRASS!

Bill D. and I got out yesterday on another EXCELLENT adventure (sorry I had to do it)!

We went back to the site where both of our recent cobs came from (some more diminutive than others :laughing7: , right Bill?)

As we both have said over the last few posts, this site has been pounded over the years and while it does not look like it with the number of targets I recovered, I have never worked harder for what I have. This is the result of over 8 miles of walking over 9 hours of detecting. Slow and steady was the day and it started out that way with a target here and a relic there.

With so many iffy signals, and a couple of hundred holes I was certain another colonial silver would come to light though it was not to be. Things got a little exciting when I thought we got into a good pit, but it ran out as quickly as it got started. I almost dug as many tacks as I did buttons (three additional ones did not make it into the picture as I left them out by accident) but they totaled 14 of various sizes.

My take for the day was 19 colonial and early 1800s button. One might have been a regimental button (partially broken) as it is pewter and when cleaning I thought I saw numbers on the face, though now all I can see is a ring around the edge. I also managed a nice colonial buckle and a few pieces along with a part to a candle snuffer and a broken key of some sort along with other odds and ends. The odd-ball find was the civil war era pewter canteen spout. There have been a sparse pattern of civil war finds on this farm and troops did camp there during the war. A nice and large brass find was the early leather adornment. I've found a few of these large suckers over the years and they always give you a thrill when digging them. The small brass item is a "what is it" that looks like a knob for something as there is a hole to accept a stem.

I dug a pile of lead too (3Xs as much that is not pictured as they were modern shot (.22s .32s, buckshot, etc.) But the ones pictured are cool examples of early molding, including the glob of shot still attached to the mold bar and folded together.

One last bit of excitement came at the end of the day when I had a nice solid high-tone that I thought was going to be a silver coin and it was...just a hundred years too late (1944 merc dime). That along with three wheat pennies made for a day of coin letdowns.

Oh well - coins were not to be this time - but there is always next time.

HH

Dan

Forgot to attach a pic of the pit and brass knob
1m.jpg 1k.JPG

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    901.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    710.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    771.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    418.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    610.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    540.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    293.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    647.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    412.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    468.7 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Upvote 12

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Hunt Dan and a really nice assortment of finds. Funny about the wheat cents... yesterday TWO damn wheat cents turned up at my colonial site that's produced 20 coppers and 4 silvers... all I could think was 'what a waste of a good signal' haha

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds!!! I'd say the trouble was worth it!!!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tacks and lead is a sure sign a site has been previously pounded but you loaded up in the button department so there's certainly a coin or two left. Great job!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
FINDS FINDS FINDS !!! HGD LOOKS LIKE THE BUCKLE MAYBE FLIRTING AROUND AND ABOUT LATE 1600S AND MAN THE SHOT AND BUTTONS DANG WHAT FINDS .....

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a super hunt! Congrats! Nice batch of buttons and lead!

I would be tickled pink to pull any one of those finds out of the ground.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang man - you're gonna have to get a bigger piece of wood for that display background. That one's been mighty crowded lately :laughing7:. Yeah, I was hurtin' too last evening but was OK this morning so guess we both survived another digging marathon. In spite of no coins that mattered it was still a great time, and the excitement was always there as you never know what incredible find might pop up on the next target. Nice haul buddy, and looking forward to the next time ....

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Hunt Dan and a really nice assortment of finds. Funny about the wheat cents... yesterday TWO damn wheat cents turned up at my colonial site that's produced 20 coppers and 4 silvers... all I could think was 'what a waste of a good signal' haha

Thanks man...yea those targets are not fair. But I always have fun getting out and the chase keeps me going.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's a Button bonanza!!, you two always make some killer finds, look forward to your future posts!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That buckle in the last picture is 1500- through early 1600s ...nice find

Thanks Brian, this site is 1630s-1750s but was part of the early american exploration/settlement process so we have found items, including coins from the 1500s

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread