Yesterdays Finds from the frozen field.

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Went out yesterday in the frosted over field to see what i could find. Found some melted lead, a copper wire, a shotgun shell and .22, a piece of pottery, a shot copper jacket bullet, a whatsit, and a nice musketball pistol shot. Any ideas on what the big thing in pieces is? It was all in one hole really deep. The musketball has either teeth marks or tool marks on it. It wasnt uncommon for a hunter to chew on a musketball to keep his mouth moist on hot summer days though.

Attachments

• snowyfinds.JPG
    snowyfinds.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 374
  • pistolshot.JPG
    pistolshot.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 362
  • Whatsitpuzzle.JPG
    Whatsitpuzzle.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 365
  • Whatsitpuzzle (1).JPG
    Whatsitpuzzle (1).JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 378
Upvote 0

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA
Hey Jake you get much ice today ? Lookin at the right side of that thing it looks like it has small
feet and looks like some kind of a collar on the feet that screws on to the 90 degree angle. Is there Threads on that part ? If those are small feet I can see only two in the picture. Is there three of those little feet looking things on the right end?
What it looks like is a 90 degree grinder head stuck on a rusted peice of metal, except the little
feet looking things on the right side, so it couldn't be part of an old grinder. That's a real puzzle,
good luck. at least you got a nice minnie ball.
HH
SS

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Nope no feet on it. The big bubbly rusty thing is pretty much flat layers of metal and then the depression in the center jsut like the copper piece. The angle thingy is an angled piece of metal with a wing nut on the threaded part. Kinda hard to describe and take pics of :P Thanks for the help :) I was surprised to find this thing, i have already gone over this spot many times, dont know how i could have missed such a large item, its the size of a cd.

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA
Maybe if you can chip off some rust you might find some writing or numbers on it. :)
I betThere's somebody out there that could identify it if they saw it,
Wish I could help more.
Good luck.
SS

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
No such luck with the writing, ill try and get more pics of it tomarow. Its very flaky and if i handle it too much it will fall apart though.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice round ball Jake, Tsgman

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got to get out and hunt Jake!

Neat finds!

;)

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool stuff!

hh

lonewolfe

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA
Jake the more I look at that thing the more the part on the right in the pic. looks to be a wing nut.
Not much help, but keep us informed if you find out what it is.
SS

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Looks like maybe the remnants of an old carriage lantern???Good job anyway....JO

BRINK

Oct 21, 2004
Intersting find there.... Could the "whatzit thingy" once have held a mirror...?
My Dad had an Old Moline Tractor that had rear view mirrors something like
your find. Don't know what it is....... but isn't it always great to find something
besides pull-tabs & screw caps. ;D Thanks for posting... I guess my season is
on hold till spring. All you warm weather Treasure Seekers out there......

KEEP 'EM COMING HH BRINK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread