SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday's finds including a cool 1700s British trade weight

With all the rain and flooding of the past few days a memory, my hunting partner Dan and I finally made it back out into the fields. Dan already provided the background on the hunt site, as well as our guest and new friend, so I'll get right to it. Although I was not able to put my coil over a coin, the finds were still fairly plentiful in spite of this site being pounded for the last 3 years. This probably had a lot to do with the recent peanut harvest which is one of the very few ways to get the soil turned over just a bit. This can be particularly helpful in iron patches as the slightest movement of the soil can rearrange how the targets are positioned, and help with the masking problem. I'd have to say my best find of the day was another 18th century bronze/brass British trade weight. This is the 4th one of these I've dug over the last few years, and I find them very unique and interesting. All of the marks on it are readable which I think I'm correctly summarizing below:

- the dagger/sword at the top signifies city of London authority for the weight
- the "A" represents the Averdepois system (16 oz to the pound)
- the ewer (looks like a coffee pot or urn) at the bottom is the mark of the Founders company which authorized the weight
- on the right is a crown over a "G" which is probably the mark for King George III

Another cool find I made was this thin brass ring with a stone, which is the 3rd ring I've recovered from this site. Hard to date but I expect is could go back to the late 1700s. It's fragile and I'm afraid if I try to bend it back into its original shape it'll break. I tried putting it in hot water for a while, but it still was risky so I left as is. A couple of interesting buttons also surfaced, and both had designs on the obverse and drilled eye shanks on the back. And lastly, what I thought was just a scrap piece of metal turned out to have a design of sorts. The pics don't do it justice, but it almost looks to me to be a bird resting at the bottom of the "V" which may be a branch. Other opinions welcomed. Anyway, hope we get one more chance to hit this site before the winter wheat is drilled, but that'll be any day so we might have to wait until next year. It would be a shame to not take advantage of the ideal hunting conditions present now, but it's beyond our control.

Attachments

• 100515a.jpg
    100515a.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 100515b.jpg
    100515b.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 100515c.jpg
    100515c.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 100515d.jpg
    100515d.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 137
  • 100515e.jpg
    100515e.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 100515f.jpg
    100515f.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 18

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
A very nice day indeed Bill. That ring is absolutely gorgeous. I dream of finding a trade weight as awesome as that, but so far I've only found that mid-1800's one you helped me ID. Also that's a very nice selection of old buttons!

Steve

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on a great hunt!

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent hunt Bill! :) starting the season with a bang with the trade weight!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ring and weight are outstanding Bill. You must have have not put your coil over that weight before because, regardless of the soil, you would have heard that one.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had fun as always man. I know you will get your coil over a big silver this year man! Onward to the next adventure and it is almost always an adventure!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY BILL WHAT A NICE BUNCH OF RELICS FROM THE 1700S . DANG IF I COULD FIND A SPOT AS SWEET AS THAT . THE TRADE WEIGHT IS AWESOME AND THE CAST PEWTER BUTTONS ALSO. NEEET FINDS ....

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good way to start!
Looks like you did alot of digging. That weight must of sounded just like my token I found yesterday. Lol
I know your saving your silver find for another LORD BALTIMORE. Wouldn't that be awsome. Glad to see you getting out.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see the fields opening up for you Bill. I like your scale weight. Those old sites always have a little more to give. Believe me, I'm squeezing every last drop out of my old sites for lack of good new ones.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill D in the place to be,founder of the Cut Silver University...8-)Billy Boy those are some nice early finds man.
The weight is cool but that ring steals the show..I love those personal early finds...
That is a nice haul im sure some cut silver is coming out of the ground soon..

~Blaze~

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post Bill and what an awesome group of finds. The patina on that weight is fantastic and the information about what the markings mean is really cool. The ring is pretty sweet. To straighten it without breaking it would probably require that you anneal it. I annealed and straightened a copper Victorian Brooch that was twisted into a ball. It got straight, but cooked off the green patina and its now shiny copper. Probably not a good idea for that ring. Ha

Looking forward to your next trip and post. Happy hunting man.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off, and running.
Cool weight Bill, great you can see all the markings.
Does it have it'a actual weight on it as well ? It looks like these things were made to "stack up" or nest smaller ones inside ?

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the trade weight Bill- very unique find. That octagonal cuff is an interesting one as well, any way to make out the design on the middle? Also any idea what the copper WW & Co relic is...I found a similar one earlier this year.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That trade weight is a very cool find

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Love the trade weight Bill- very unique find. That octagonal cuff is an interesting one as well, any way to make out the design on the middle? Also any idea what the copper WW & Co relic is...I found a similar one earlier this year.

I've tried, but I can't make out the details on that button. The WW & Co item is a keyhole cover to a large lock, and is probably 19th century.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a sizeable trade weight! Bet that blew your ears off! Congrats on the cool ring, good buttons, and other recoveries!

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool trade weight!

Steve

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X