Yesterday's finds on the beach 9-7-16

Hockey_Detectorist

Aug 15, 2016
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 200 & 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A friend and I went to two separate beaches and yielded a few items. This being my first hunt in about 20 years I was happy with what I fund. The smaller beach, which is a local beach, I was able to get a quarter and a dime then some trash. The oceanfront with the boardwalk I was able to hunt about 2.03 in change and a pair of ipod ear buds still in good shape (they weren't near anybody). I might have been able to get more but the ace 250 was giving me false readings near the ocean break.

My friend was using an older detector that was acting up due to the coil being deteriorated a bit. He only managed to get some screws and nails.

All in all it was a good day with only hunting about 2 hours. I might go today but we will see!

Happy hunting,

Hockey_Detectorist

Attachments

• 1473332264809.jpg
    1473332264809.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 1473332283897.jpg
    1473332283897.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 9

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats on your first outing for a long time. Looks promising. Planing on a beach detector soon?

OP
OP
Hockey_Detectorist

Hockey_Detectorist

Aug 15, 2016
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 200 & 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first outing for a long time. Looks promising. Planing on a beach detector soon?

Yeah. I was looking at the At pro for more beach/inland detecting then buying an underwater one once I get scuba certified. Any recommendations on a detector will be greatly appreciated ha.

Mattrix1980

Aug 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro / Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a whites dual surf Pi that is completely water proof to 100 feet. I would recommend it highly, however, their is not a discrimination mode. If your okay with digging every signal, it will pick out everything, and detects very deep.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
For a VLF machine there are three good ones for fresh and salt water. The Excal, CZ-20/21 and the Whites BHID. All three are great for fresh and salt water. The BHID only goes down 25' though.
I wouldn't call the CTC 3030 a diving machine, it only goes down 10'.

Then you have the PI machines. All go deep, however, all pick up any small piece of iron and have no discrimination.

I enjoy my CZ-21's. However, I have heard of no complaints from people that use the Excal except repair issues.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT PRO is an excellent machine however, it is not the machine you want to use in salt water. It works flawlessly in fresh water.
I can only comment based on experience. I purchased the CTX 3030 because it is submersible.
It removed the fear of getting caught in the rain while using the Etrac.
Now depending on your budget, I would recommend the Excalibur. It is submersible to 200 feet and salt water will not cause ghost signals. It discriminates between iron and nonferrous targets. My first Excalibur paid for itself in gold, silver, and clad in 2 seasons.
You can get a new unit for around $1,200.
You will also have to consider the additional necessities. If you are going to stay in the water, up to your waste, or deeper, you will need a wetsuit. Then add the cost of a good scoop. Water hunts can be very profitable and are a lot of fun. They also help you escape the heat during Summer Months.
Congrats on your hunt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hockey_Detectorist

Hockey_Detectorist

Aug 15, 2016
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 200 & 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT PRO is an excellent machine however, it is not the machine you want to use in salt water. It works flawlessly in fresh water.
I can only comment based on experience. I purchased the CTX 3030 because it is submersible.
It removed the fear of getting caught in the rain while using the Etrac.
Now depending on your budget, I would recommend the Excalibur. It is submersible to 200 feet and salt water will not cause ghost signals. My first Excalibur paid for itself in gold, silver, and clad in 2 seasons.
You can get a new unit for around $1,200.
You will also have to consider the additional necessities. If you are going to stay in the water, up to your waste, or deeper, you will need a wetsuit. Then add the cost of a good scoop. Water hunts can be very profitable and are a lot of fun.

Awesome! My budget is going to be around 600 or so due to the fact that I am getting married in a month... you know how the mrs. can be ha.

I am actually borrowing my bosses ace 250 at the moment so I am not trying to mess it up in anyway!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Awesome! My budget is going to be around 600 or so due to the fact that I am getting married in a month... you know how the mrs. can be ha.

I am actually borrowing my bosses ace 250 at the moment so I am not trying to mess it up in anyway!

My post was in reference to you wanting to dive. You don't want to dive with an AT-Pro anywhere. 10' deep max like the CTX. Also single frequency = trouble in salt water. You need to get your machine before you gert married. That way you can show your future wife GOLD and DIAMONDS. She will then love you having this hobby!!

OP
OP
Hockey_Detectorist

Hockey_Detectorist

Aug 15, 2016
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 200 & 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My post was in reference to you wanting to dive. You don't want to dive with an AT-Pro anywhere. 10' deep max like the CTX. Also single frequency = trouble in salt water. You need to get your machine before you gert married. That way you can show your future wife GOLD and DIAMONDS. She will then love you having this hobby!!

Oh I see what you are saying. Yeah she will see the gold and silver and become ecstatic with it... she wasn't too impressed with the $2.38...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread