SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday's finds

As you've probably already seen from Dan's post, we got into a new site yesterday that held a lot of promise, at least on paper. And it did not disappoint as we found the early house site right off the bat. There were signals everywhere along with loads of early brick, pottery, glass, pipe stems, etc, but due to the frozen turf we were forced to limit our digging to cherry picking the high tones. But even that was difficult, and I eventually opted to only go after shallow, solid signals in the top 2" that was not frozen. However, there were many finds in that layer since last fall's peanut harvest turned the soil over quite nicely. That included a bunch of pipe stems that were eyeballed, and my analysis of their bore diameters indicated a mean date of occupancy of about 1720. We must have walked over literally hundreds of good targets before deciding to spend the rest of the day scouting the rest of the huge field. At least one other area looked interesting and will definitely deserve a second look. I wasn't able to walk over any nice coins or buckles, but I don't think that'll be a problem at our next outing when everything has thawed out. But that might be a while as 4-6" of snow are in tomorrow's forecast followed by temps near 10F. That's OK - those relics will still be waiting for us whenever we return. I also want to give my partner Dan a high-5 for the outstanding research and door knocking he did to put us onto this potentially great site. Good job!! :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• 012614a.JPG
    012614a.JPG
    285.6 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Upvote 14

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bill ,not bad at all considering how freaking cold it has been , I ventured out Saturday for a mere 1.5 till my pinpointer froze to its holder... Nice saves !

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Bill! Need to hunt out your way one of these days! You always get some cool historical items! No worries on our coming cold snap, it will keep all the good stuff in "suspended animation" until the thaw!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job, Bill. I love finding buttons, almost as much as coins. Almost! At least you know if you're finding so many different buttons you will eventually find a coin, as Dan did. Congrats!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a blast as always Billl - no need for accolades - we both put in plenty of time in the books and it pays off. Looking forward to our next trip!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats guys! At lest you didn't have to use a jack hammer!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer possibilities there. I have a hunch I will not want to miss your next post.

Congrats on what looks like a very promising site,

Buck

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome site fellas! You guys must be so excited to hit that when the weather cooperates

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, way to get out there.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This thread is another reason for me to wait for a good old thaw. Looks like you 2 have something to keep you awake at nights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Bill, looking forward (from afar) to your next hunt on this site.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Cant wait to see what comes out of there when the ground thaws. I think some epic silver awaits! Good luck guys.
-Evan

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice early digs Bill:icon_thumleft:

It is always good to know you have a killer site to return to..

Blaze

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some oldies there Bill. Hopefully this crappy weather will go away and you guys can get back out there soon! I can't wait to see what you find next. What happened with site with the pit that Dan dug the rhennish pieces? Hopefully you all can get back there more of that bottle.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like some oldies there Bill. Hopefully this crappy weather will go away and you guys can get back out there soon! I can't wait to see what you find next. What happened with site with the pit that Dan dug the rhennish pieces? Hopefully you all can get back there more of that bottle.

We went back to that pit site a couple weeks ago and were planning to sift it, but the thick, wet soil wouldn't allow it. We did eyeball a few more pieces of that bellarmine jug, but any further recoveries will have to wait until spring when things hopefully dry out. We did hit the new site again today and both Dan and I will post our finds tomorrow.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like you are onto something good there, Bill! Nice saves!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread