Yesterdays meager finds and a tudor rose button question

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out yesterday with Bill and hit some new ground. There is potential there, but we did more roaming and talking with the landowner than digging. I did manage to dig a few items from a vast span of time (1700s-1900s). Highlights were an early piece of decorative wear/jewlery and a pewter Tudor Rose button.

The question I have is regarding the tudor rose. Folks seem to lump them all together and call them Naval buttons, I never have bought into that method as I have seen them appear on far too many devices from multiple eras. This one however does seem a bit more "right" in terms of construction and design. What are your thoughts, this Rev War era? The reason I ask is that this particular area does have a Rev War history.

I have to travel for work for the next week, so hopefully I will get out next weekend when I return!

HH

Dan

Attachments

• SC3113a.jpg
    SC3113a.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 227
  • SC3113c (2).jpg
    SC3113c (2).jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 187
  • SC3113c (1).JPG
    SC3113c (1).JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 204
  • SC3113d.JPG
    SC3113d.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 176
Upvote 1

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The navy ones you talk about are never pewter, always tombac, with an incised different looking rose. Its hard to tell if that is actually pewter, it doesn't really look it. Probably early 19th C & not 18th (Civilian).

Last edited:

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice finds congrats HH.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The navy ones you talk about are never pewter, always tombac, with an incised different looking rose. Its hard to tell if that is actually pewter, if doesn't really look it. Probably early 19th C & not 18th (Civilian).

Thanks Cru, was hoping you would weigh in. It is 100% pewter, soaking in my preserving solution now as it was cracking and chipping once it dried out. I know the Colechester site had some pewter ones, but I agree with you, civilian, but with it being pewter still thinking later 1700s.

Dan

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Cru, was hoping you would weigh in. It is 100% pewter, soaking in my preserving solution now as it was cracking and chipping once it dried out. I know the Colechester site had some pewter ones, but I agree with you, civilian, but with it being pewter still thinking later 1700s.

Dan

I've seen pewter ones but as far as I can tell they never went to sea.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the posts guys I learn something new everyday [ not much Colonial or Sea beraing history in N. Georgia]

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the pocket watch fob !!! Would go good with my Studebaker pocket watches :) I need to find a place like that when I visit my kids in Virginia Beach before the Marines ship him someplace else....like back to Southern California :(

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Indian Motorcycle watch fob is nice too. A lot of them were sterling. steve

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the pocket watch fob !!! Would go good with my Studebaker pocket watches :) I need to find a place like that when I visit my kids in Virginia Beach before the Marines ship him someplace else....like back to Southern California :(

You are welcome to it. I would rather someone who appreciates it more have it than I.

Dan

woody_g

Mar 5, 2006
SPRINGTOWN TX
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 1000
love the watch fob neat looking piece.someone on here uses a similar one on their signature.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Love that little button. It also confirms the age of the site, and I know we're gonna have a knock-your-socks-off day again soon. Enjoy your trip.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread