SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday's short hunt nets 3 more coppers

Due to other pressing issues this weekend my partner Dan and I could only get out for a half day hunt Sunday afternoon. Even though we had several options to consider, we decided to revisit the productive site we've recently been hunting to finish checking out the last couple areas in the field that might have some potential. That didn't work out, except for a random coronet head LC I snagged, so I went back into the adjacent woods and down to the spring stream that produced some nice iron artifacts the last time. With little luck there I joined back up with Dan and we wandered around near the original house site a bit more with not much to show for our efforts other than a couple buttons. The day was looking like a bust, so we decided to hit another very small field on the same property that Dan had been eyeing. This area was also part of a 1680s land patent we had researched for this area, and we were hoping it contained a house site for one of the indentured servants who were likely living on the same patent site as well. It didn't have that killer "look", but to our surprise we started finding large chunks of early brick in the back of the field near the wood line on a slight rise. Not much iron could be heard, but that didn't matter as we soon started popping out buttons at a pretty good clip, and before long I got a great sounding high tone that was screaming colonial coin. And sure enough a Va halfpenny popped out. Dan followed quickly with his own halfpenny, and I eventually added a KG2 copper. This was a fun site to hunt as there was absolutely no modern trash, and all the signals came in strong in the moist, clay-like soil. We both found shallow fire or trash pits in the same area but due to the impending darkness we left those for another time. We kept recovering more buttons right up until dark, so we felt good about what'll be waiting for us when we return. I also dug the triangular base to a barrel tap key. But we continue to be puzzled by the lack of silver coins at both of these sites. We've dug 8-10 coppers and just a single cut piece here. That's highly unusual for us as that ratio is usually reversed. Anyway, I guess you could say the old adage "when one door closes another opens" definitely applied to our hunt yesterday, and we were thankful for that.

Attachments

• 022314a.JPG
    022314a.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 022314b.JPG
    022314b.JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 022314c.JPG
    022314c.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 022314d.JPG
    022314d.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 022314e.JPG
    022314e.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Upvote 15

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds
you did have a great day
where did you say that was,lol:laughing7:
HH

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Always nice to see those large green discs in the hole. Congrats on the coppers Bill. Your ratio is way off anyway, you could always use some more coppers and I know they will be a welcome addition to the collection. Glad to see a new and productive site surfaced.
-Evan

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Bill, congrats on a three copper day!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had fun as always bud! Just as I was saying that this site was quickly beginning to disappoint (I had HIGH expectations) another spot surfaces and to think, there is still another plot of woods and another field to check

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill any day with 3 old coppers is a great day. What a great concentration of finds you guys ran into there. Hope you guys find that silver next time out . Gotta be hiding there somewhere and I'm sure you guys will sniff it out.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, congrats!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill any day with 3 old coppers is a great day. What a great concentration of finds you guys ran into there. Hope you guys find that silver next time out . Gotta be hiding there somewhere and I'm sure you guys will sniff it out.

I hope we can do something about our silver famine soon. Been slim pickings this season in spite of being on numerous potentially productive sites.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a promising site for sure. I haven't often had the opportunity to hunt a site completely devoid of modern trash. It's nice to know that any solid signal on the detector means a long lost colonial relic is about to be unearthed. Best of luck on your return trips.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As usual, great finds! Nice coppers. I know y'all can't wait to get back to that site.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As usual, great finds! Nice coppers. I know y'all can't wait to get back to that site.

I can't speak for Bill - but I certainly have fallen asleep the last two nights thinking about what is there - I don't suspect it will be mind blowing - but three coppers in 45 minutes is a good sign that at least 1 more good coin is there. Personally, I am more interested in locating the other portion to my snuffer stand.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't speak for Bill - but I certainly have fallen asleep the last two nights thinking about what is there - I don't suspect it will be mind blowing - but three coppers in 45 minutes is a good sign that at least 1 more good coin is there. Personally, I am more interested in locating the other portion to my snuffer stand.

Or the complete snuffer itself .....

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be awesome. Like Bill said, maybe the snuffer itself is there!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of finds, Bill! Once again racking up the coppers. Maybe it will be the year of the coppers for you.

AndreyNY

May 8, 2013
NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030,Pro-Find 25, Lesche Dig Tool,Predator Tools,Stealth 720i Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super nice hunt, congrats on the finds!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two colonial coppers is as good as two colonial silvers in my book, Bill. As usual, you're gonna look back at this season and realize it was better than your mid season assessment. You just need one good pit dig this year and you'll be right on track. I hope you're out today diggin'!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread