Yesterdays Silver & Manganese and.... oops!!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday's Silver & Manganese and.... oops!!

I got my DFX back from servicing yesterday, so I returned back to the site that I had the most trouble ground balancing. I have found some nice finds there, dating from pre CW era to the 1950's, including my only Seated coin and a CW Infantry button. The machine appeared to be acting much better, although I did not get any deep targets. I will need to hit another spot that I know has the deepies to make sure it is finding them.

I did manage to find some keepers such as a couple of nice early 1800's buttons, including a flat cast button. I also dug a bunch of wheaties and some early Jeffersons, two of which were silver "War Nickels", a 1943 P and a 1945 P (bringing my war nickel total to four). I used an old toothbrush and some Crest toothpaste to clean off residue from forest fires and it worked great as it is less abrasive than baking soda.

As I was cleaning the 1945, it slipped out of my hands and down the drain!!! . At least it was a fairly common coin. So this morning I took off the P trap and recovered it after spending the night under the sink.

I hope to get out next week to check out my favorite spots, which I haven't been back to for a few weeks.

Have a great weekend!
Neil

P9180004a.JPG P9180002a.JPG
P9190005.JPG P9190003.JPG
P9180001.JPG

Upvote 0

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Re: Yesterday's Silver & Manganese and.... oops!!

great finds. Funny the thing about the sink, I always think I'm going to drop one and while it is easy enough to remove p-trap Murphys' Law usually prevails so I plug it.
Glad you were able to recover.

BW

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Re: Yesterday's Silver & Manganese and.... oops!!

Nice finds Neil, it sounds like a good place. It's been a while since I found a War Nickel, congrats !

TommNJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread