Yesterdays two boxes - Great finds but questions

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
Yesterday's two boxes - Great finds but questions

Yesterday I got two boxes of halves to search. These came from the same bank where I had found five unclaimed boxes, one of which produced 19-40%s, so I was anxious to get another crack at their supply. The boxes didn't disappoint, although I was a bit disappointed at first glance. The rolls in these boxes were not tightly wrapped and the plain black and white wrappers were different than the brown and white Brinks wrappers I normally get, so I thought I might have gotten repackaged dumps. However, this was dispelled when I pulled a shiny 1964 90% from the third roll.

Overall the first box was much better than the second. First produced 4-90%s and 4-40%s, including a somewhat tarnished 1969-S proof. The second produced a lone 40%, but certainly better than nothing.

The boxes also produced a few oddities. I got two clad proofs (2003 and 1978) that were pretty discolored, what I believe is a gold plated 1983 half, and a 2001 half with a color overlay featuring a picture of Barack Obama.

It was a fun hunt last night, but it left me with a few questions:

1. Is there any significance to the difference in the wrappers? Could this mean I am getting closer to the mythical "bottom of the pallet" or otherwise getting to coin that has been sitting for a while (perhaps packed at some point in the past before they started using the current brown and white Brinks wraps)?
2. Do the discolored proofs or the gold-plated half have any value above face? Should I just throw these back?
3. Is there any value to the slightly discolored 1969-S above the silver value?

Happy hunting!

Attachments

• 20120312 silver coins.jpg
    20120312 silver coins.jpg
    821.4 KB · Views: 544
  • 20120312 odd coins.jpg
    20120312 odd coins.jpg
    625.1 KB · Views: 622
Upvote 0

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Yesterday's two boxes - Great finds but questions

Generally different suppliers use different rolls. There is no "best" supplier (though personally I hate the clear wrapped Brinks rolls), though some suppliers may produce better or worse depending on your area. Black and white rolls sound like Garda to me, but who knows. There are also some banks who will roll their own coin like a machine wrapped roll but in general they seem looser than your typical boxed coin. Banks may have changed suppliers at some point in the past and it could be that you are getting older boxes from a year or two ago.

Some people (like me) keep all the proofs they come across simply because they are unusual. Do they have any value over face? Most likely not (though some people may be able to sell them at auction or via craigslist for a profit) and chances are a coin shop won't buy them. But, it only costs 50 cents to keep them, so I figure why not keep them?

I don't think there is much value over scrap for the 1969-S, proof sets are dirt cheap now (to the point where I've heard of coin shops paying people less per proof set than the coin's face value! As in, they would get more money cracking open the plastic case and spending them!) and most of the older ones trade around silver scrap, so while you certainly need to keep it (It is a 40%er!) And personally I'd keep it in a cardboard 2x2 so it wouldn't get scratched up more, I don't think its worth much more than melt.

yyznick

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

The obama half is pretty rad imo

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice boxes indeed!

The obama half is pretty rad imo

The only thing wrong with it is, it is Obama.

Bigheed

50centman

Feb 25, 2008

There is no mythical bottom of the pallet. There is however the sweet spot in the run. This is the place you want to be. To those who have found it, you know exactly what I mean. To find a main vein was common not that long ago. Now, the vein has been stretched out and diluted by the increased foat caused by many many hunters.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Why not keep the clad proof? Because with eight, I can buy a gallon of gasoline!

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As for the "bottom of the pallet" I to believe there is no such thing. But what you want to find is that part of the pallet that is at least 10 years old. It does exist. Think about how many coins have been minted and how many halves do not circulate in other words site in boxes on pallets. To my knowledge most pallets are stagnant and are not used. When a bank orders a box it is taken off pallet A and when a box is returned from a bank it is placed on pallet A. Thus we are constantly searching our dumps.

Texas silverbug

Jan 11, 2012
Just plain lost.
Primary Interest:
Other

47thelement said:
As for the "bottom of the pallet" I to believe there is no such thing. But what you want to find is that part of the pallet that is at least 10 years old. It does exist. Think about how many coins have been minted and how many halves do not circulate in other words site in boxes on pallets. To my knowledge most pallets are stagnant and are not used. When a bank orders a box it is taken off pallet A and when a box is returned from a bank it is placed on pallet A. Thus we are constantly searching our dumps.

First.:)

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bury the Obama!!!
HH