Yet another Ike Dollar question!

skydog

Mar 16, 2011
Are all "S" Ike's 40%? I asked at the bank for any "no space in the till drawer" coins! I got several JFK's none of which were anything. I also got 12 Ike's. Only one was an "S", a 1973. It is very, very different from the others. It's got a mirror quality to it. I know it can't be sold as proof or UC anymore, but was wondering if it's 40%. It is clad and my wife has misplaced my gram scale during a remodeling project here. :icon_scratch: I know everyone likes pics, these are the best I could do. Also, is there a safe cleaning method to remove the finger oil fingerprints?

Attachments

• IMG_2293 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2293 (Medium).JPG
    163 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2297 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2297 (Medium).JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 138

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
"Proof" is a method of manufacture, not a quality. A proof coin is stamped with higher pressure, perhaps multiple times, using dies and a blank that are specially polished and maintained. This is a proof coin, and it could even be a proof 60 or more. It could even be a proof 55 or even a proof 45 (Just because it was in circulation does not mean that it has EVIDENCE of wear. It is the EVIDENCE of wear that makes something circulated or the lack of that evidence that makes it uncirculated). In 1895, in Philadelphia, they made ONLY proof coins, so there are some Proof G-4 coins out there. There is no Evidence that it is proof except that it has the identifying marks of the proof dies, and there were no Regular issues of that date known.

Not all S coins are 40%. There were also regular material proofs that were made for Proof Sets. The 40% coins were only Ike dollars issued in a special holder.

Finger prints are sticky business. Warm Soapy water will remove the oils that can stain a coin. If the coin is already stained, there is nothing you can (nor should) do about it. after washing in warm soapy water, rinse very very well, then pat dry in a soft cotton cloth. Rubbing will scratch the surface.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
An "S" Ike will look like a silver half on the edge, a clad will look like a clad half.

OP
OP
S

skydog

Mar 16, 2011
73S was made in Proof only. It's a clad coin, not silver.

My mistake, it was made in silver. I apologize
I think you were right the first time; mine shown in the OP is a 1973 S but it is definitely a clad coin.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others had said, the 1973-S Ike Dollar was made both ways...clad and 40% silver. It's still pretty cool to find a loose one floating around outside of its packaging from the mint.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread