May 24, 2017
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
His Garrett AT Pro and Tesoro Mojave,
Her Garrett ACE 300 with 5" x 8" DD coil,
and two Garrett Pro-Pointer ATs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I admire the simple functionality of the Tesoro models and their reputation for outstanding discrimination in nail infested areas. So when I thought of a smaller coil for my AT Pro for that purpose, I also considered that even though I shouldn't bring it along with the ATP on my kayak, adding an inexpensive Tesoro would give me the advantage of not having to change coils when land hunting.

Our ground here is as ferrous as Keith Southern's, where the AT Pro ground balanced at my same 86 out of 99 for him. His YouTube video review of the Mojave showed it got 8 out of 8 on Monte's Nail Board Performance Test and that he really needed the High GB setting in his north Georgia soil. So I decided to look for a Mojave instead of a Compadre.

Saturday, a practically new one with blank warranty card showed up on eBay. Including the shipping cost, I bid a total of $51 off / 80% of the Mojave's $251.10 MAP and got it for just under that. The seller isn't far from here, so if he ships today, I should have it mid week.

It will be interesting hunting blind (i.e. audio only--no VID) and with only one tone vs three -- low for iron, mid for gold range, high for silver range. I'm not sure whether the Mojave has proportional audio like the ATP, i.e. louder audio for shallower targets, but I'll find out. I suspect the 7" concentric won't need the pinpointing function that helps with the big DD coil. If others here can be exceedingly productive with the Mojave, I should be as well--especially in the nails.

[edit: I went back and watched Keith's air test again. The Mojave does get a little less loud with a deeper target, but not as much as the ATP, where in Pro mode, the audio at greater depth can get soft enough to call for headphones.]

[edit 2: The seller shipped Priority Mail this morning and USPS says I'll have it Wednesday! :thumbsup: ]

Last edited:

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a sweet deal.
Hope it works out for you in your soil.
You're not really hunting blind.
Just turn the disc till target goes away and then turn it back till the target comes back in.
Bingo.....target is IDed.
It's a beast in trashy areas even with the disc up to only hit coins.
Also surprisingly deep for a $250 detector.
Viva Tesoro!!!

Noah

OP
OP
Mo Diggins

Mo Diggins

May 24, 2017
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
His Garrett AT Pro and Tesoro Mojave,
Her Garrett ACE 300 with 5" x 8" DD coil,
and two Garrett Pro-Pointer ATs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's Home!

The rain stopped long enough for the mail carrier to get it to the door dry. I tried to take some unboxing photos, but our explosive sniffing cats wouldn't let me anywhere near it. Of course, one had to examine the outer box from the inside.

Suffice it to say, it was packed as it came from the factory, with blank warranty card, and it looks like any other Mojave. I got a few minutes out on the deck to ensure it works before it started pouring again. We need the rain, so I can wait to use it... but I do look forward to that. This thing feels like a feather!

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. Great deal in the detector too!! It's worth the full price anyway but a good deal makes it better.
Be sure to update us with how you like it.
It's a different beast, tesoros, but are very rewarding detectors that have the fastest recovery I've found yet. Once you learn what it's saying, you'll understand why a screen isn't always needed.
Happy hunting!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread