Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and GAS!!

Since getting into Metal Detecting coins have really intrigued me, who held this coin? How many states has it been to? How many years in a piggy bank? So with it being winter and cold outside CRH has really sparked my interest.

As a family we talk, we all work together. I tell them of my new hobby and this is the response I get, also included is "Its all gone already everyone looks for it" Its even worse if I say that the skunk got me. Some people can get enjoyment from reading a book, some like to play games, some like to watch TV, people have many different hobbies and activities to occupy time and get enjoyment. So I like looking at old dirty money, guess it beats looking at old dirty women =P

That being said I was pretty discouraged today, my drop bank tells me that im .30 short on dimes and that it is illegal to try an pass foreign currency as American currency docked .10 for 2 canadian nickles. Also they tell me that they can no longer exchange cash for change because they must verify the count and it must be deposited in my account available the next day for withdrawl...... not going to happen.

Off I goto the bank I have halves ordered at high on the idea of a dream box in progress and get 2 boxes, first box is a skunk, Bummer!
Box 2 I pull out 25 rolls looking for enders and I spot one in the 2nd layer of the box so i know for sure there is 1 keeper. Go thru the first 25 rolls and find 3 @ 40% in the second layer it was extremely good 10 @ 40% for a total of 13 @ 40% makes it a 1.9226 silver day. With 2 more boxes to pick up tomorrow

If it was as easy as picking up rocks on the ground everyone would do it. However a few have patience to see it thru, keep your head up on skunks and Happy Hunting

Upvote 0

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah tell they they are wasting time reading and watching tv. You're making a profit doing what you enjoy.
Keep at it! Great 2nd box by the way!
I did $800 in dimes today for 5 silver.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
"That being said I was pretty discouraged today, my drop bank tells me that im .30 short on dimes and that it is illegal to try an pass foreign currency as American currency docked .10 for 2 canadian nickles."

A couple of months ago I was short 2 rolls ($10.00) in a dime box (though that's really more the fault of Brinks than the bank - but I still got the box from the bank) & we all get foreign coins (not currency) from banks all the time. And it seems a little petty for them to dock you $.10 for 2 Canadian nic's. I hope they at least gave you your Canadian nickels back. If they didn't you should tell them that is theft & that's also illegal. Even though they would probably just throw them away.

And if you explain how much silver money your finding every month with your hobby maybe your family might think a little differently about it. It can actually be quite a profitable hobby as I'm sure you know. I told my mom last year how profitable my hobby was and she was rather amazed.

And btw, congrats on your box! Finding nearly 2 oz.'s of silver isn't bad for one day! :)

H$H!

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
SilverFace said:
And if you explain how much silver money your finding every month with your hobby maybe your family might think a little differently about it. It can accually be quite a profitable hobby. And congrats on you box!

H$H!
Just don't get them involved in searching because if they start doing it then you have some competition and that means less silver for you.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
That Canadian Guy said:
SilverFace said:
And if you explain how much silver money your finding every month with your hobby maybe your family might think a little differently about it. It can accually be quite a profitable hobby. And congrats on you box!

H$H!
Just don't get them involved in searching because if they start doing it then you have some competition and that means less silver for you.

Competition? They are my helpers. I have my sister in TX and NEPA is worked by my dad and niece. I provide the seed money and I buy the silver at a very reduced rate. I wish I had more family to work the mines.

Gooseman

Dec 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Let me tell you one thing, you are not wasting your time. Enjoy the hobby and hh.

Jeff

kvilleification

Jan 4, 2012
Mid-Atlantic US
Primary Interest:
Other
My family says that to me all the time. They think I'm crazy for getting boxes of coin from banks. I try to explain to them that this is a hobby just like all the other hobbies and I'm not "going crazy" by CRH'ing. They tell me that I am wasting my money by doing this, and for the most part this is true. Then I tell them that this is a hobby just like golfing is a hobby. Golfers waist much more money than us CRH'ers do. They buy clubs, balls, shoes, clothes, memberships, etc... What we buy, we cash in usually 90% of and get our money back. Yes, we put in time and labor into it, but it's MUCH more productive than perfecting a golf swing, and we will have lots of silver (and copper for us penny hoarders) when the day is done. There left with muddy shoes and dirty golf balls. :laughing7:

Lyfeguard

Jan 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry for the bank problems. Not gloating but i had the opposite happen to me. First I deposited a bag of halves to be counted. My banks don't give cash for bags, only rolled coins. When the deposit hit my account it was for $1000.17. :dontknow: The second thing that happened recently was in one box of halves, three rolls were heavy by one coin ($21.50). Made $1.50 off that skunk!

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Diver_Down said:
That Canadian Guy said:
SilverFace said:

H$H!

Competition? They are my helpers. I have my sister in TX and NEPA is worked by my dad and niece. I provide the seed money and I buy the silver at a very reduced rate. I wish I had more family to work the mines.
Well it's great if you can get them to work for you. Just make sure they don't turn against you when they realize how much silver is really worth.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
That Canadian Guy said:
Diver_Down said:
That Canadian Guy said:
SilverFace said:

H$H!

Well it's great if you can get them to work for you. Just make sure they don't turn against you when they realize how much silver is really worth.

They all know except the niece. Part of the deal is that I get the seed back when I want. It is a no-lose situation. They are playing with "house money". And they get a little spending money. My niece is one of the best producers. The tellers can't resist a 10 year old with a smile and charm.

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
As my lovely bride has said at least it's a hobby we can afford, vs. green fees, or funding a hole in the water. :tongue3:

I am having a blast. I feel like I did as a kid when i found my first buffalo nickel in my paper route change. Back then wheat cents were not uncommon though, and you still ran across the odd Indian head cent as well.

Rascal

OP
OP
Xiao en

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your positive words all. They were much appreciated. I guess the bottom line is as long as there is enjoyment recieved regardless if a keeper is found or not then thats all that is important. It is my hobby not thiers right?

beervestor

Jan 23, 2012
San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya just stick to it, I'm about to start and I'm pretty excited about it and I tell my friends and family and my girlfriend and they all think im weird and dumb haha but I just find it to be a fun thing to do... you never know what your gonna find in those rolls and theres no risk in this hobby. And atleast your using ur brain and being productive rather then sitting there watching tv or on the computer looking at facebook and junk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread