Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: You can use the detectors, but you can't dig anything

Where do you live? Usually it's not a problem anywhere in the U.S.

kldrawdy

Jun 15, 2006
Arlington, TN

That's the same rule in my hometown and the state's rule as well (Tennessee).
Kinda discouraging. So, no city or state parks or city owned land.
:(

Kathy

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois

Several counties and the Cook County Forest Preserve have ordinances that read that way. Our clubs are working on the commissioners now. The laws here say detectors are Ok but damaging or removing plants are a no no. Rangers (etc) think this means no digging. In our state parks you need a permit and basicly can only use a screwdriver for digging. We will probably be getting them to define what tools we can use.

Oh I forgot. We have been using the preserves for 20 years, but some new cops are giving out tickets and won't listen when we try to explain. Other rangers wave or ask you how you are doing.
Rob

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't think state parks will let you do it in north Carolina. I don't have a problem in my city though.

wingman

Mar 17, 2004
johnstown,ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250

Mt. Vernon can be tough on us,they seem to think there preserving it by leaving it in the ground.
drive a little further away and the park ranger dont seem to mind.
i like MDing in granville,utica,and my hometown johnstown.

HH,wing

saleen87

Dec 2, 2005
La center,WA

there are 60 state parks in washington state that mding is ok with permission from the ranger
;)

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe

Most state parks in NY don't allow MDing at all. But there is one state park near me that allows, by permit that you have to reapply for yearly, MDing betweem Labor Day and Memorial Day. But not, obviously, in between MD and LD.

GL & HH,

DugHoles

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

279785 said:
That is what I was told by the Parks and Recreation Department. So what good is that? LOL

Mark

I've written on this before on here but here it goes again. Your experience is becoming a nationwide thing more and more with each passing day.

I'm referring not just to national parks but all properties owned by the state. Many THers in Michigan don't realize that other than on private property (with permission), it's almost impossible to LEAGLLY metal detect anywhere in this state.

The rule here since about 2 years ago is: "Closed Unless Clearly Marked Open." In other words, if the piece of land is owned by the state (most of Michigan's best relic land is) you must see it listed as open or you may not hunt on it.

In Michigan you need not be actually doing metal detecting to be arrested. All you have to be doing is standing on closed to detecting land with a metal detector in your hand.

What can a CO (Conservation Officer) do to you if he catches you in violation of the law?

1. Give you a warning and let you go.

2. Issue you a ticket (usually at least $200).

3. Issue a ticket plus confiscate your metal detector.

4. Issue you a ticket plus take everything but the clothes on your back (truck, car, etc.).

5. Do everything in no. 4 plus take you in.

People in Michigan have been fined for just parking on state owned property (not parks, just plain state owned lands). I heard of a couple who were fined $200 for trying to carry off (2) field stones for their rock collection.

I'm sure this is not just in Michigan. I'd recommend that all THers at least learn the laws of their state and county.

Detecting in the future will not be "please and thank you" for those who really want to take the hobby seriously.

Now state parks are even more interesting. You may only hunt those areas designated as open. You must "check in" and declare all finds. This includes any Memorial cents you may find. Any item thought to possibly be of any historical significance will be confiscated. So, you work hard, dig a horseshoe, and you don't get to keep it.

Nice, huh?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've read about some areas that let you use a detector but you can't dig out plugs. I met a local who makes a brass probbing rod with a ball tip and a long skinny spoon like device for locating and popping out coins. He gave me a set, but I haven't been able to do much good with it, but that would beat nothing. He says he is quite proficient with it and says all you need is a lot of practice. If interested let me know and I will get you in touch with him. Monty

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin

I have a friend who with amazing consistancy can use a screwdriver to pop coins out of the ground without ever digging a plug. Almost all end up with a small scratch but it's cool as all H@!! to see.

OP
OP

Jan 27, 2005
Westerville, OH

Hey Wing,

How do you do out in Johnstown? I have several places to checkout south of there. I have relatives in Croton, every do anything around there?

ML

wingman

Mar 17, 2004
johnstown,ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250

ive done ok at some of the older churchs around here,but still looking for that forgotten great spot.
you got family in croton,do they know who to ask permission to hunt the hartford fair grounds?
that would be a sweet spot,as they just had the 148th running of the fair.

wing

garrettfan2

Jul 24, 2006
dallas ft worth

its a shame that the ignorant rule with ignorance. i dont do as much damage as a squirrel, and i cover the holes i dig. dig plugs only where appropriate. i do public schools, public parks and churches in texas. if some one asks me to leave, i will when they can show chapter and verse in the lawbook. unless it is a cop. so far, over 4 years, zero problems. i might add, also zero silver either. G2 in tx

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

No metal detecting on any state park in Virginia....HOWEVER...the Holiday State Park, near Lake Anna, will give you a permit, which cost 10 dollars and takes approx 10 days to get, to detect on their land. BUTTTTTTT........anything of historical items MUST be turned into the park officials. If you do the beach (lake area)....you can keep those finds..but within the park, must be turned in. Hubby and the kids went camping there a couple of weeks ago. They did neglect to tell him on the phone it would take 10 days for the permit to be issued...so he was not able to detect AT ALL!!!

We had planned to go to CRATER OF DIAMONDS in Arksanas...but didn't go...maybe next year...anyways, when I called down there...the Park Official said NO METAL DETECTING AT ALL on any State Park in the State of Arksanas. So, other than hunting for diamonds at the crater...metal detecting was out. Bummer!

In the City of Va Beach, you are NOT AUTHORIZED to detect any City Park, nor in Norfolk or Chesapeake....you can surface scan...but NO DIGGING...BUMMER there too!!! Oh well, guess it's getting permission from land owners and the oceanfront and other local beaches.

The City of Virginia Beach did tell me that they have NO LAWS against metal detecting on PUBLIC LAND...but if that is true...why can't we detect on the CITY PARKS...isn't that PUBLIC LAND? What am I missing here?

HH nonetheless........Annmarie

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Actually letting you detect and not dig areas can be OK. The only other choice for them would be to not allow it at all. They seem to be concerned about the grass and don't want deep holes dug. This is OK by me. I have taken to the method described in this years Treasure Facts Magazine about using a probe then pulling out the find with a modified set of forceps. Can work well and it is not digging. When I do it I do not carry any other tools just in case I am confronted. So far no complaints and a few nice finds.

Ed D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread