You Etrac guys sure like to rub it in! (kidding)

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just received this via email from my new hunting buddy. He found this tonight. I am positive I walked right over this. :laughing7:

He kicks my Xterra's butt with his Etrac. The coin is in good shape, so I had to share it with my Tnet friends! :hello2:

photo1.jpg

Conder Token - Trade & Navigation - Halfpenny Token - 1812 - VG - Medals and Tokens Coins World Coins Black Mountain Coins

Conder Tokens, also known as 18th Century Provincial Tokens, were first minted In 1787 by the Parys Mining Company that mined copper ore. They had plenty of copper, access to mints, and there was little low value coinage to be had in Anglesey thus they began minting their own penny and half penny tokens. Not long after, others would follow suit and begin designing and minting their own small denomination coinage.
Copper coinage was produced sporadically from the late 17th century to the late 18th century, sometimes not at all, for various reasons. Conder Tokens are named after James Conder who was an early collectorand cataloged these interesting coins.[SUP][1][/SUP] They are copper coins (usually pennies and half pennies) minted by towns, businesses, and organizations of all types to meet a need for low denomination coinage that was not being provided, not being minted in sufficient quantity by government, or not making it out to the small towns. These lower denominations were needed to pay workers and make change in an increasingly industrialized society. Thousands of varieties of tokens were minted, many are beautiful and intricate works of art.
Because Conder Tokens were minted independently of government, the creators of these tokens had the freedom to make political statements, social commentary, honour great men, ideals, great events, or just advertise their businesses. Subjects range from Isaac Newton to Abolition and Prisons to Mental Institutions, issuers of the coins needed only have the means and the will to mint their own coin. Most were officially payable only in certain areas and locations but there is no doubt that copper coin was copper coin to many at the time and they were widely circulated.

While I struggle to find deep, old coins, he dives into a big pile of them like Scrooge McDuck used to in the cartoon... back in the day.

S7C2s.jpg

Hopefully the tips from "Understanding your xterra" by Randy Horton. that I just started to put to use, will increase my depth. :BangHead:

Happy hunting, folks!

Upvote 0

Hans R Dirty

Nov 25, 2009
I think what you have there is a Nova Scotia half penny token. Listed as NS-19 in the Charlton Canadian Colonial Tokens.
Nice find.....cheers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread