You found the Mother Load, whats your next step?

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For sake of the thread you find a huge cache, I mean big- made up of silver and/or gold coins from the 1700's. Whats next? How do you do anything with them without attracting tons of attention and questions? What if the property was owned by the state or government, would it be a repeat of the Mel Fisher ordeal? Before I get questioned by everyone here, no- I didn't find one, I just like to have answears to these things- just in case.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
You need to research whether it is yours or not. Some states have complex treasure laws. If you can't understand them, contact a lawyer. Initial consultations are often free, and should be protected under attorney-client privileges. But if you don't trust the lawyer with this information, get another one!

Consider having the coins appraised or graded. You may have to join PCGS or similar grading service to have this done. But without a disinterested third-party grading service, you are unlikely to realize what the coin(s) are worth.

As far as possible, KEEP YOU MOUTH CLOSED! Anticipate questions, and work out answers ahead of time. Don't volunteer information. You may regret it later.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take the 5th.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Patience is the mother of all virtues...It will take time to properly and safely liquidate any large treasure cache or treasure item. Research out carefully possible buyers and assure yourself of their integrity and confidential nature. Above all, keep your anonymity. It may seem like there is no way to do this at times but there is always a way. Creative thinking and research is the key. :icon_sunny:

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't be stupid!
Keep quiet.....I know it will kill you not to brag......but DON'T
Keep your job!....got to have normal source of income
Don't deposit $$ in bank....only bank to use is "Hip Pocket National" Bank :headbang:
pay cash for some items but live within your means...

Invest in Gold mine out west.......justify your funds .....
.....still got too much to deal with???

Then send me a little and I'll help you spend it! LOL :laughing7:

OP
OP
DIGDIG

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All great advice, as much as I would wanna yell it from the rooftop, being quiet is the key. Maybe moving 1-2 pieces at a time would be a good idea.

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google Earth Leads Man to 'Buried Treasure'

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Google Earth

The area where the lost Spanish treasure ship may be buried.

Is there golden treasure buried in a South Texas creek?

Using Google Earth, a Los Angeles-based musician named Nathan Smith thinks he's found a lost treasure ship that sank somewhere north of Corpus Christi during a hurricane in 1822.

But the owners of the land won't let him dig — unless a court rules that the muddy creek is indeed "navigable waters," in which case the federal government decides.

A recent book called "Lost Treasures of American History" got Smith to noodling around on his computer — and an intriguing pattern near the small town of Refugio spurred him to drive nonstop to the Gulf Coast, metal detector in hand.

"Where we walked, your honor, there was gold, there was silver," Smith told a federal judge in Houston in December about his initial visit to the site, according to the Houston Chronicle. "When you step off that area, you got nothing."

Adding to Smith's convictions is the fact the creek is named Burgentine or Barkentine Creek. The lost Spanish (or maybe Mexican) ship was said to have been a barquentine, a type of three-masted sailing vessel.

Ron Walker, the attorney representing the family that owns the land, is having none of it.

"It was offensive that somebody could go on Google Earth, look down and see what they think, I guess see, under the ground and see a ship and come in and say, 'I want to dig up your property,'" he told ABCNews.com "They have no proof anything is there and no experience."

The judge plans to rule next month on whether Smith can ask the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for permission to dig.

But even if he does find something, he might be in for more legal fights. The state of Texas is already preparing to file a claim, and the Spanish government recently sued professional treasure-hunters over another long-lost military
shipwreck.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goverton said:
Don't be stupid!
Keep quiet.....I know it will kill you not to brag......but DON'T
Keep your job!....got to have normal source of income
Don't deposit $$ in bank....only bank to use is "Hip Pocket National" Bank :headbang:
pay cash for some items but live within your means...

Invest in Gold mine out west.......justify your funds .....
.....still got too much to deal with???

Then send me a little and I'll help you spend it! LOL :laughing7:

I like it! Go bury it in the backyard so a future cache hunter can find it. :thumbsup:

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
First thing that I would do is to get it out of there without anyone seeing you.
If you don't, someone else may find it the same way that you did.
Move it to your own secret location and bury or hide it again.
Wait for awhile and get your thoughts together before you do anything else.

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark (Under water unit)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would conceal it with a tent, if possible...I mean, IF I were to find something like that, I would camp out for a few days to a week, and IF possible, pitch a tent over the site....I would not move it to another location....I would conceal it using the natural flora in the area....I would really have to take a lot of time to think about the entire situation, and I would not do anything for at least a few days of contemplation....SushiDog

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
DIGDIG said:
All great advice, as much as I would wanna yell it from the rooftop, being quiet is the key. Maybe moving 1-2 pieces at a time would be a good idea.

It would be hard not to tell anyone but if you think of all the people that would try to take it away from you, and there would be several, it would make keeping quiet a lot easier for me. As far as selling it goes I would spread it out over a large area so as not to draw a lot of attention to myself. The nice thing about gold and silver is there is always someone who will buy it, you wouldn't need to sell it all at once. I live in a small town but there are 5 large cities within a few hours of me so a trip to anyone of them every couple weeks would be the way to get rid of it under anyones radar. I hope we all find a big cache someday and avoid the greed factor.

HH Charlie

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Build a foundry. Screw historic significance. We will all be history soon. Melt it and sell by the ounce.

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
Now, with Don Jose checking in on this thread, are we talking about hundreds, thousands or millions of dollars worth of treasures? A big difference in what you would do.

Happy Trails

HOOSIERau

Jan 5, 2011
IN
What about taking it to another country ? How would you get away with that ? If you could, you could sell it all at once ??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread