You have to be *this* tall to ride

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I'm gearing up for a few days off and have been doing research on places to hunt. I thought, huh, I want a real adventure....that's when I discovered an abandoned amusement park, over 100 yrs. old. I could hardly stand it...couldn't wait to head out and hunt.

http://www.forgottenoh.com/Chippewa/chippewa.html

Then....I discovered I'm too late:

http://www.cleveland.com/movies/index.ssf/2008/08/horror_movie_being_made_in_old.html

Back to the drawing borad. But I am curious if anyone here had the opportunity to hunt that location?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You should be hunting it DURING the demolition process. Not only might they scrape off ground, allowing you to get to deeper targets, but the demolition of the consession stands may yield some surprises. Yes, coins can even make their way into crevices beneath counters, etc... In my town, they tore down a circa 1920s movie theater. During the demolition, we found coins in the ticket booth where, apparently they'd rolled into drip grates, and various other slots and crevices. Seems strange that coins can into such places, but considering how much money changed hands daily, for all those years, in the dark, it seems that any place a coin could fit, was a potential resting spot :)

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Yeah, I thought of that as well...but I also wanted some pics. It's a 4 hour drive from my city.

What the heck...maybe I'll just do the trip.

nightwolf

Jul 8, 2008
Bureau County, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I'd go for it, there's bound to be some goodies waiting to be found when they start tearing up the ground. Beats spending forever wondering what you may have found if you went :wink:

midnightcaller

Apr 13, 2005
Snohomish Area
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab
We have a old ammusment Park in West Seattle on Alki Beach, called Luna Park you can find pictures on the web.

the best time to hunt it is at a minus tide you can still find old coins and sometimes a gold coin

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well.....the article does mention a steady stream of trespassers, almost daily.

Hmmm...trespassing....I'd check legality before you trespass. Don't want to lose your detector.

Al

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
Hi, This is coin finder, Just wanted to Thank you for the (History) about the Park. To bad it is to far for me as I an in New Your, Long Island. GREAT Story.. :wav: :wav: :wav:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread