Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did a little research last night and lined up a couple new parks to try out today. One had a ball field that it appears no one uses anymore. I wasn't really going for super old. Just maybe, some jewelry, silver, battery rebate. You know. It all worked pretty well. Got a bunch of clad, no silver, but I had this pop up. It read to my ear as a shaky nickel. But, I didn't expect this one.

The ground was pretty wet, fairly mineralized and deep. But, this coin turned up in a strong tangle of some deep grass roots. But, it was only about an inch down!

Unfortunately, it appears to have had a pretty rough time waiting for me to come along and save it from completely disappearing.

It is a bit corroded but, the details appear to be mostly there. I just have no clue how to clean an 1882 Shield Nickel.

Any ideas?

Thanks for peeking!

And, HH to all!

Attachments

• IMGA1386.JPG
    IMGA1386.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMGA1384.JPG
    IMGA1384.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 2

iamfree

May 1, 2012
nowhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
probably worth around $10.... when i find an old coin like that, i cant help but to imagine what chap dropped it and what was he or she doing when they did... then a time lapse scene goes through my head of all that happened over that coin till all those years later when someone shows up over it with a MD......

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
probably worth around $10.... when i find an old coin like that, i cant help but to imagine what chap dropped it and what was he or she doing when they did... then a time lapse scene goes through my head of all that happened over that coin till all those years later when someone shows up over it with a MD......

I don't much worry about what my finds are worth, maybe if it's a gold coin or very, very old, I might peek. :) But, I do try to display them as best I can and this one just seems like it might be a good candidate for a cleaning up of some sort. Some say , never, never, never, never, clean them. Well, if I think the find will benefit, I will clean as minimal as I can. But, I will clean.

Thanks for your kind words and taking the time to say them. I also think about whose hands the coin last saw and what must have gone on over it since. :)

HH

Srhoads

Apr 26, 2012
Rantoul, IL
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try Worcestershire sauce. I have cleaned a couple of buffalo nickels with pretty amazing results. Let it soak for a while, clean, repeat till satisfied. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try Worcestershire sauce. I have cleaned a couple of buffalo nickels with pretty amazing results. Let it soak for a while, clean, repeat till satisfied. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Interesting technique. I hadn't heard that one before. I'm not really losing anything so I'm willing to experiment. I'll wait to see if I get any other suggestions.

Thanks!

HH!

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never tried it on a Shield Nickel so do at your own risk, but it may be a candidate for electrolysis. Maybe look on youtube to see if anyone has tried it, there are plenty of electrolysis videos out there.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
If you really want a realistic value of the coin, check eBay completed auctions. For dug coins, the Redbook, or other guides are inaccurate. They're barely accurate for problem-free coins, and most represent what you will PAY when buying it retail.

I've never had much luck with shield nickels... maybe a long soak in mineral oil?

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find, i found two the other day... 68-69... i just hit em with a tooth brush and water.. it is what it is...... MR TUFF

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Your doing good to find a shield. When they are found most times they are in real bad shape.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find.:thumbsup:

cz70pro

Mar 18, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! I dug my 1st one this year in Virginia.I used CLR(calicum,lime,rust remover) with a tooth brush,and it came out very nice.be sure to rinse it good,so it dosen't corrode any further.You can buy CLR at most home improvement stores.

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a nice find, still waiting for my first one.

New Direction

Apr 10, 2012
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's a guide in "the tool shed" section on making an electrolysis machine. Its way simpler then it sounds and would work wonders on this thing. The hard crusty layer on top pretty much just flakes off and your left with shinny bright copper in high detail. I usually electrolysis for a bit then take it out and wash it with dish soap and a tooth brush and go back and forth till its pretty.

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
Just my 5¢ worth.....I have never really had any luck with nickels. Only found one shield nickel, several V nickels and a buffalo or two....it has been my luck that any of them never look as good cleaned up as they do coming out of the ground.....lol....but then, all I ever clean them with is water....oh well.....

Happy Trails .......gregd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread