EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First I just ask for permission.

If that isn't working I then suggest they get all the jewelry or personal items and I keep any coins - as that is my primary objective.

If that doesn't work I offer to let them look through all the finds and we split them. Make sure you keep all the junk you dig because if they see you dig and refill 15 holes but only have two coins they'll figure you're not being square with them.

Then, if all requests have failed, there's the 'ol Dr. Phil response if they say "I already own everything in the yard"

"How's that working out for you so far?"

At that point it's time to move on with a "Thank you, anyway". I don't have a card but some folks use them and leave one with the homeowner saying "If you need a detectorist or someone you know does please keep me in mind."

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
When asking for permission to dig someone's property, what do you do when you find things. 1 Give to owner, 2 maybe split, 3 keep everything. How do you guy's handle it. ...

I don't even bring it up. Unless a) THEY bring it up. Or b)you are commissioned to look for something they've asked you to. Ie.: a fee or split or percentage or whatever.

Because by bringing that up from the git-go, is merely going to conjur up images of "certain wealth and valuables", when truth-be-told, it will likely be common grab bag mercs, a barber or seated on a good day, etc... So by bringing up splits, you can often just taint the mental connotations of how you are anticipating, or somehow they can expect "riches", etc.... And then lo & behold, people get funky when they start thinking in that mindset of how you might be about to recover "valuables" off *their* land, etc... When truth is, it's just a hobby that most often the stuff we knock ourselves silly for, is just grab bag stuff that pays only for our gas and equipment. EVEN BETTER buckles, buttons, key date coins, etc... will do good to fetch $100 , right ?

So I just leave it vague with the following comment: "You're welcome to whatever I find. Since this is only a hobby. I just love the hunt." And I have NEVER had anyone actually take all my finds when done. I will often just mentally pick out a certain coin or token that I want. I'll push everything over to them (including silver, buffalos, etc... that I know aren't rare), and will hold back the single coin or token saying "this is one date, or one token, I don't have for my own trays. Mind if I take this single one ?" And they will always say "sure".

So keep it non-technical, lest you merely turn it into more than it is.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I simply ask for permission to detect their property, I always hear "if you find a fortune we split it" as they chuckle and I say "sure", knowing darn well that the odds of that happening are slim to none. However if I ever do find a cache of silver coins I will split it with the property owner. Or they say "I lost a gold ring", most of the time they didn't because when I ask for a description of the ring I get nothing. Most people don't care yet I had one owner simply ask that if I find 2 old coins that are similar (i.e. 2 IHPs that they'd like the one of lesser value). Everything is negotiable, just don't bring it up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Tom and Charlie. Just wondered if everybody usually says "Yes you can, but I want everything you find". Which I have no problem with. I also just love the hunt.

Thanks again,
digger460

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Tom and Charlie. Just wondered if everybody usually says "Yes you can, but I want everything you find". Which I have no problem with. I also just love the hunt.

In that case I would say I charge $30 an hour but supply my own equipment and batteries. ;-)

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some interesting responses. I have never encountered this as well. But if I had a hard sell I guess I would throw out if I find money we can split it or ask if they want any finds plain and simple. You get a 50/50 chance they say you keep it and have fun because lets be honest, if they thought they were sitting on or had a fortune buried, they would be doing what I am!

Most think there is nothing in the soil to be had and 95% of the time or better, they are right. Those incredible finds are rare. The best places I have found to search that may hold promise is old home sites that are at least now 100 years old where the home owners back in those days did not trust banks and buried or hid money in holes to go back to when needed. Some died and never said where it was or if there was even any! You know those old glass canning jars with metal lids that most folks that detect consider trash!!!! Well, those I dig in the hopes that it may be a cache one day of hard cash or at least time period coins that some will be worth a lot!

Ask me how many of those I have found!!!!! NONE! But I will continue to look until I cannot do this anymore. I like you the OP just like to hunt first and foremost. It is great stress relief and exercise.

I like the idea of handing out business cards. I have sent them through the mail from utilizing tax records when I am out in the countryside and see an old homestead. I explain to the owner listed on tax records who I am and I do this as a hobby and want to know if they have lost anything or if there is maybe a tale of their family ever having buried anything of folk lore that they may want to try and find. It works sometimes but others they just think your up to no good.

Good luck and enjoy the hobby!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondered if everybody usually says "Yes you can, but I want everything you find". Which I have no problem with. I also just love the hunt

I once had a guy ask me to detect his property, but he wanted to keep everything I found. Safe to say, I didn't detect his property! What's the point? What's my incentive to do that? Some people have a lot of nerve, I guess.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bring it up.

"Just to make things clear so we don't have any issues.....I like to keep any coins I find. I will absolutely give you some as a keepsake if they are not rare coins".

Never once had a no because of it. They always say "sounds good" or whatever. If they said they wanted to keep it all...I'd say "have a nice day" and move on to the next.

I love the thrill of the hunt and all that....but it's def coming home with me. The homeowner would have never known what was there if not for me and my detector. My work = my pay.

I would absolutely go do a "don't keep anything" hunt for a museum or archie dig....no problem there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread