You Know It's Spring in Florida When------

You know it's spring in Florida when the cat wants to go treasure hunting:
cat and  detector.JPG

You find your oldest and most worn Mercury
1918  Mercury  obverse.JPG
1918  mercury  reverse.JPG

And you meet the year's first moccasin!
march moccasin.JPG

I went for a short hunt this afternoon to the same field on the family farm where I found the Walking Liberty a few weeks ago: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,218937.0.html . This field is next to a large swamp with a lot of wildlife- a family of otters, a pack of coyotes, deer, turkeys, alligators, big turtles, hawks, owls, woodpeckers, and many other birds - I've seen over 70 bird species in this vicinity without making a conscious effort to birdwatch. Just this morning, I again saw the young bald eagle who has taken up residence on a high hill nearby.
Did I mention snakes? Lots of snakes on the farm. Diamondbacks, pygmy rattlers, moccasins, black racers, rat snakes, cornsnakes, green snakes, banded watersnakes, and many other species that I don't know enough about snakes to identify. Since they have been here for millions of years, long even before mammoths and giant sloths wandered this valley, I feel that entitles them to respect and a place to live their lives. We have a deal; I watch where I step and put my hands, and they don't bite me. So far, they are holding up their end of the deal.
This young moccasin must have come out of the woods into the field shortly before I saw her (it seemed female to me for some reason) as it had only been a few minutes since I had detected that spot. She was quite amenable to having her photo taken, merely raising her head and eyeing me as I took several photos from about four or five feet away. I didn't want to get too close; you have to be ready to back pedal with moccasins, especially the larger ones, because they are prone to making bluff charges if they feel threatened. They're not nearly as aggressive as the black racers, though, the big ones will sometimes rear up like a cobra and come at you. Very impressive animals and extremely fast- hence the name.
I gave the moccasin her space and went to another field, where a few minutes later I found the 1918 Mercury, my oldest and most worn Mercury yet.
All in all, it was an entertaining hour.

Upvote 0

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Re: You Know It's Spring in Florida When------

Well it paid off moving, but I don't do snakes either.

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
Re: You Know It's Spring in Florida When------

nice dime.congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions