You know those Ebay sellers that put a crazy high price on something because...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because they are stupid, or think you are. Well I had a situation yesterday where the seller did have an insane price on a small group of coins probably thinking he could find a sucker..... and he did, and the sucker was me! What the seller didn't realize is the early copper in the lot was actually a pretty good coin and worth more than his buy it now. I first made an offer, which I'm sure he would have taken, but it started to drive me crazy waiting and even paying the full price I feel I was guaranteed at least $100 profit, so I had to click the BIN. Part of the reason I hated doing it is because he probably feels like it was a win, that he got his fish to bite, when in reality that's not the case, but he'll never know. There's just something I don't like about making him feel like he pulled one off... but at the end of the day it's the money that talks, and since there's a chance for an even greater profit than the $100, it would have been stupid to sit around waiting, and someone else click it and take the easy cash.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take him to school IP! Show the little treasure when it arrives.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take him to school IP! Show the little treasure when it arrives.

I stay under the radar, but will tell you it was a counterfeit copper, and when I eventually sell it, I'll post the results and who was the sucker.... him or me. :)

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
I stay under the radar, but will tell you it was a counterfeit copper, and when I eventually sell it, I'll post the results and who was the sucker.... him or me. :)

Good eye on the ebay purchase. If divulging the type of the counterfeit flies under your radar I am sure I am not the only one who would like to know if it was British, US or a State Copper.
Marty

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good eye on the ebay purchase. If divulging the type of the counterfeit flies under your radar I am sure I am not the only one who would like to know if it was British, US or a State Copper.
Marty

British halfpenny. :)

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not like you to gloat :laughing7:

SS

The truth is someone sent it to me, so I can't take much credit.... I will however cash the check! :headbang:

I could post deals every week if I wanted, and even though I do get a bit of a rush from buying, it's not the same as pulling it out of the dirt... still fun though!

Last edited:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I fail to see the benefit of making him feel bad, showing him you are smarter, or better, or anything else. Be humble. Take your profits, our pats on the back, and move on to the next deal.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Iron Patch:

"Part of the reason I hated doing it is because he probably feels like it was a win, that he got his fish to bite..."

I would suggest to you that's a good thing! Give him positive feedback and encourage him to keep posting.

Remember - when the Comanches raided down into Old Mexico they never cleaned those poor folks out. They always left them enough to keep going - because they planned on coming back next year...

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with Old Bookaroo. No need to rub it in. We all love a good deal and the seller is probably just as happy with the sale as you. Probably uneducated in what he was selling....not dumb, never know tho'. Good luck with the resale!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fail to see the benefit of making him feel bad, showing him you are smarter, or better, or anything else. Be humble. Take your profits, our pats on the back, and move on to the next deal.

I don't recall saying that, or that I would say anything to him, or anything even close to that. So not sure where that came from. You obviously did not read what I wrote in the way I intended it.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch:

"Part of the reason I hated doing it is because he probably feels like it was a win, that he got his fish to bite..."

I would suggest to you that's a good thing! Give him positive feedback and encourage him to keep posting.

Remember - when the Comanches raided down into Old Mexico they never cleaned those poor folks out. They always left them enough to keep going - because they planned on coming back next year...

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Who said I wasn't going to leave positive feedback? If I wasn't ok with the price I wouldn't have bought it. But it's true, when someone bites on a seller that listed way too high it's like the seller gets a win. I too list stuff that most people would think is insane, but if I know the market, and know there's at least a few who might go for it, I'll do it. My post is definitely not to brag or cry over this, because it's not enough money involved to care either way.

My post is nothing more than just something interesting that happened and is part of the game of buying and selling, and you guys obviously missed all that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with Old Bookaroo. No need to rub it in. We all love a good deal and the seller is probably just as happy with the sale as you. Probably uneducated in what he was selling....not dumb, never know tho'. Good luck with the resale!

I have absolutely no question he is much happier about the deal than I am, and that's even if I make more than he does!

Remember my post is talking to you guys, not him.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
2Minnesota:

I've been on the other end - listed a couple of items that went so far over the initial bid I was actually a bit embarrassed.

Not much I could do if someone wanted to pay that much. Other than throw in some extras.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it was probably the wording (words) that made some of us think this way. I went back and read it again and it sounded like you don't want the seller to feel good "about thinking he pulled one over on you", The way I see it is who cares? Why not let someone feel like they got a good price for it as long as you are happy with it? This is MY way of thinking, it's okay to think otherwise.

This part is what got me thinking this way...."Part of the reason I hated doing it is because he probably feels like it was a win, that he got his fish to bite, when in reality that's not the case, but he'll never know. There's just something I don't like about making him feel like he pulled one off... " I'm sure it was a win for him, he got the amount he was asking for!

Don't mean to offend you, I just don't understand that thinking and simply stated that in a way. I always like a good deal and it makes it even better (for me) if the seller is happy with it to! And sorry I used the word "dumb" instead of "stupid", they are both about the same in my book. Its okay to agree to disagree.....

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2Minnesota:

I've been on the other end - listed a couple of items that went so far over the initial bid I was actually a bit embarrassed.

Not much I could do if someone wanted to pay that much. Other than throw in some extras.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo
Some people just don't like getting out bid. if you get two, then the price gets hiked up....nothing wrong or feeling bad about that.

SS

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
SilverSearcher:

I've been on the business end of such a deal, as well!

Thanks for your kind words.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are times I put a high price on something just to see if it will work.
I have a couple of old phones and phone parts on the bay right now for $165 BIN with a make me an offer.
I paid $5 for the whole box. Even if i get $75 I will be happy.

What urks me (changing the subject, sorry) is I had an offer of $100 which was fine but I countered with $110 expecting an OK or $105. Didn't get anything, not even a "sorry, no thanks"

don't people know how to be polite?

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it was probably the wording (words) that made some of us think this way. I went back and read it again and it sounded like you don't want the seller to feel good "about thinking he pulled one over on you", The way I see it is who cares? Why not let someone feel like they got a good price for it as long as you are happy with it? This is MY way of thinking, it's okay to think otherwise.

This part is what got me thinking this way...."Part of the reason I hated doing it is because he probably feels like it was a win, that he got his fish to bite, when in reality that's not the case, but he'll never know. There's just something I don't like about making him feel like he pulled one off... " I'm sure it was a win for him, he got the amount he was asking for!

Don't mean to offend you, I just don't understand that thinking and simply stated that in a way. I always like a good deal and it makes it even better (for me) if the seller is happy with it to! And sorry I used the word "dumb" instead of "stupid", they are both about the same in my book. Its okay to agree to disagree.....

Don't worry you won't offend me at all. The problem here was I thought I could talk to you like fellow buyers, but now like many other things on this site people have to jump in to defend the person on the other end. But that's ok, as i said it doesn't bother me as nothing on here really raises my temperature.

PS: You really made too much of the win-lose thing. (or I made it sound that way) Makes it sound like it's a big deal when the reality is I've been doing these deals for well over 10 years so it really doesn't matter much. I seen the price and decided to buy them, that's about it, but doesn't make for much of a post.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread