'You never anticipate anything like that': World War II veteran recalls fighting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I need to mention our Guadalcanal veteran who was posting here - in honor of Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp. I looked at his profile and he hasn't been on since August of 28th, last year. I pray he is still with us. If you want to find a hero, he is a hero.

World War II veteran recalls fighting in Battle of the Bulge | Fox News

By Emily DeCiccio
Published June 28, 2017
Fox News

Video of interview on the site

World War II veteran recalls fighting in Battle of the Bulge

A U.S. soldier who fought in the Battle of the Bulge tells his story and shares how he fought through impossible conditions to slow the Nazi advance.

The Battle of the Bulge, fought in December 1944, was the last German offensive in the west. It was the largest land battle fought in the war, with a million troops participating. Pfc. Robert DeVinney was one of those soldiers.

DeVinney describes the scene in Western Europe in 1944. “People were living in terrible conditions. Everything they owned had been taken from them. Very sad to see that.”

In a desperate gamble, German forces launched a counteroffensive that was intended to turn the tide of the war in Hitler’s favor. Their impressive victories in the opening weeks of the drive created a massive bulge in the Allied line, giving the battle its name.

“The Germans were actually moving very fast and just shooting everything up. Trying to – I think they were trying to get to Brussels,” said DeVinney.

The first attack occurred on December 16, 1944. “It was strenuous and all but you were trained for, I mean trained physically for it. Knowledge came as you went along and that was pretty slow sometimes,” recalled DeVinney.

After three weeks, Allied forces were able to push the Germans back to their pre-December 16 position. DeVinney remembers what it was like.

“After the three weeks we got into this town. I got up and I couldn’t get my boots back on. You didn’t take your boots off when you’re in combat. So you dig a fox hole every night. Typical.”

DeVinney continues, “I couldn’t get my boots on so I had some over shoes and walked to the aid station. It took me a long time. I probably had to walk a mile to get to the aid station, and I get there and he says, ‘You got your feet frozen.’

Once DeVinney got inside, he felt relief. “They put you on a stretcher and took your boots off. Put a blanket over you and left your feet open. They weren’t covered at all. That was just an amazing thing. I mean you never anticipate anything like that.”

The Battle of the Bulge ended on January 28, 1945. American casualties reached 81,000 and German casualties were between 80,000 and 104,000.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
God bless the greatest generation !! Thanks for that deepseeker.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
You put me in panic mode. I thought you meant Real had not posted since Aug. 2016. I have no idea what he did, but he uses the name Real of Tayopa, and it shows him as joining Sept 2016. So, I'd say he did a name change or something. He posted on my Moctezuma Aztec treasure thread in April,and his profile shows he posted today.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/108137.html

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a relief! Thanks for letting us know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread