You never know about people

lenjsr

Jan 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on a site that was bulldozed and had no postings in Tucson the other day, I had hunted it several times before and found no coins. It has a lot of slaw and junk in it. In one area I changed up my settings and went extremely slow, I hit 4 wheats in a row in a small patch. Now starting to fell like silver is coming.. Well I hear yelling and turn around and an older lady is yelling at me to get off the property, I politely complied immediately. I tried to talk to her but she would have none of it. So I moved to a location up the rd I had permission to hunt. wheats were all 40's and 20's.

I am there about two minute's and a pickup pulls up and I here someone again, I turn around and it is an old gentleman. He signals me to come over and I comply, He asks what I was doing on his property (the one she told me to get off), I explained to him I was just looking for old artifacts and that I did not see any postings. He asked if it was a hobby, I told him yes I just like to find old buried history. He told me he was in a dispute with his neighbor over the property line and his sister thought I was surveying the location.

I again stated my purpose, he was interested in the hobby. He asked me what type of things I find and I told him of them. I then asked him if he would mind if I went back, He was hesitant so I gave him a business card I have for metal detecting and told him if he thinks about it and decides I can give me a call. So we talked about history and he told me of the one old building near the site being an old train station that Wyatt Earp once was in. He then asked me if I would take a trip with him to locate a buried cashe his great grand father buried when the confederate army approached.

He is going to go over his papers and call me to take the trip.. what the heck why not.. He is very storied and has a long past in AZ, his family was well connected to DC politicians in the early 1800's ..

I think he will let me back on eventually, SILVER is calling

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with those who would hunt vacant lots. (especially yummy old-town ones where an old structure was just dozed off). And no, that is not akin to helping oneself to someone's turfed front yard of standing homes. Not the same mental mindset . Oh sure, if you want to get *technical*, sure, you have to ask permission to step off the sidewalk anywhere in the world, I suppose. Heck, the minute you leave your front door in the morning, you're on "someone else's property".

Well its one thing to "step off the sidewalk" and a completely different thing to spend several hours metal detecting while on someone else's property. The bottom line is, in most situations, you don't know who owns the property or what they want to use it for, so the respectful thing to do is to get permission or keep off it.

Tom, if you owned a vacant piece of land in the countryside, are you telling us that it would be okay with you if strangers hung out on it and used their detectors to find treasures on your property without asking you? And what if strangers wanted to hunt and fish on it, or camp on the weekends without your permission? At what point is trespassing no longer okay in that situation?

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still think whether or not it is trespass is not the biggest issue in the whole thing. If you take an object from someone else's property without permission, wouldn't it be theft? If the object is of high enough value, wouldn't it then be grand theft, a felony?

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say my opinion, but got crucified on the last post on these same lines. Lol hahaha

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, guess I didn't see the other post you're talking about. Not trying to stir anything up, it is just a genuine concern of mine, and I would hate to see anyone unintentionally getting into serious trouble. Thought maybe someone has more knowledge of the subject than me.

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
If I owned a vacant lot in old town section, firstly my coil would have hit damn near every inch of it, secondly I probably would never know if anyone was ever on it, and really who is it hurting by cleaning up trash from what might be considered an eyesore anyway? I mean really , and just my opinion but who gives a s**t ??? In the big scheme of things it's someone chasing a hobby for a couple hours for good clean fun and cleaning my property to boot! If I neglected to look for any metallic valuables on my basically abandoned eyesore of a lot then I would tell the guy good on ya and thanks- this talk about theft and grand theft seems a bit too much --if you don't want someone there then put up a fence and some no trespassing signs otherwise it's fair game in my book as long as there's no structure on it!! Gotta go I hear a bulldozer in the distance!!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing responses here....

Back in the middle 80's, when public property was wide open to search, and there were few annoyances....

A co-worker was home watching football on a Sunday, heard something in his front yard and went to the door to find a fellow he didn't know detecting his front yard, not filling his holes and leaving the trash lay.

He told the guy to leave and got cussed royally in return, but the guy left.

And, today we have all these restrictions. Crude attitudes towards someone else's private property just may have had some influence on this.

Private property is private property - get permission first!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
This works well,gets people to thinking!!

GOD Bless

Chris

Untitled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I owned a vacant lot in old town section, firstly my coil would have hit damn near every inch of it, secondly I probably would never know if anyone was ever on it, and really who is it hurting by cleaning up trash from what might be considered an eyesore anyway? I mean really , and just my opinion but who gives a s**t ??? In the big scheme of things it's someone chasing a hobby for a couple hours for good clean fun and cleaning my property to boot! If I neglected to look for any metallic valuables on my basically abandoned eyesore of a lot then I would tell the guy good on ya and thanks- this talk about theft and grand theft seems a bit too much --if you don't want someone there then put up a fence and some no trespassing signs otherwise it's fair game in my book as long as there's no structure on it!! Gotta go I hear a bulldozer in the distance!!

Some people say these television shows about metal detecting are doing a disservice to the hobby, but I've got to think that detectorists and their sense of self-entitlement to hunt wherever they want, contributes much more to added legislation against the hobby.

Nothing paints a picture of a greedy, irresponsible treasure hunter like someone who fails to respect private property. It's ridiculous to think that no fence or sign means that its open to the public. I own such a property, and you can bet I would greet anyone with the business end of my rifle if they help themselves to my land.

Don't be afraid to research and get permission. Why leave the opportunity for a negative interaction to happen, when it could end up being a serious situation?

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still don't understand how you can justify hunting private property without permission. I would suggest looking up the definition of private property............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. I don't think anyone tried to justify it...they just said that's what they do...If the worse thing I do in my life is hunting a bulldozed, no fence, no sign lot...then I can live with that.

Last edited:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
images.jpeg
Hows that for a warning

OP
OP
lenjsr

lenjsr

Jan 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a sign that I even have on my house however the area I was in had no signs

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
silver-simon, deepseeker ADS, world-talker, wainzoid, dustytrails, etc.... Everything you're saying is technically true. It's good balance for the consversation. And by all means, don't hunt any vacant lots then. By logical extension though, I must ask: In-lieu of your stance, would you take the follow shortcut ? (be honest):

Attachments

• 6desirepath2.jpg
    6desirepath2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 83

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
silver-simon, deepseeker ADS, world-talker, wainzoid, dustytrails, etc.... Everything you're saying is technically true. It's good balance for the consversation. And by all means, don't hunt any vacant lots then. By logical extension though, I must ask: In-lieu of your stance, would you take the follow shortcut ? (be honest):

Not iffin my truck was on the other side of the street.I see paths like that around here and I don't like it,to messy.
I for one don't walk those routes.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is REALLY ironic that you posted this picture, because my wife and I just discussed this type of situation when we were out on a walk last week. There is a public library on the corner of the main intersection in my town, and there is a similar worn down path where people have shortened the corner. We both agreed how ridiculous people are for being lazy and cutting through the grass. It saves you maybe 1 second of walking, at the cost of killing the grass and creating an eyesore.

So, I can honestly say that I would not take the shortcut, because the situation has presented itself and I spoke out against it. Sure, maybe when I was a kid and much less responsible, I might have taken the "easier" route, but I have more respect for others' property now.

However, you are comparing cutting a corner of someone's property with purposely spending a lengthy time on private property and possibly removing coins/artifacts from it. Not really the same cup of tea, but I get the point you are making.

My thought is, if you came upon a vacant lot, bulldozed or not, and noticed several nice construction tools and equipment on the ground, would it be okay to trespass and steal them? If that's not okay, why is it okay to trespass and steal things from under the ground?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Silver Simon and world-talker, well I have to hand it to you guys: you are being consistent with your own stances, to say you would not take that short-cut path.

Simon: Not sure why, but there seems to be a "difference" between an object un-seen, lying under the ground, that no one knows is there. Eg.: a ring on someone's night-stand, versus the ring on the beach or park. Because it's almost as if the item in-the-ground simply didn't exist ....... UNTIL you brought it to light. Those const. worker tools (in your example) would most certainly be missed, and someone would most certainly be harmed, if you or I took them. But do tell: what has someone "missed" and how has someone "been harmed" if I find a seated dime or saloon token on their vacant lot or demolition site etc...?

Or heck, let's just cut to the chase: Even such things as you allude to ("taking") are also true of every speck of public land. Yup, places that you currently search and have no problems, I can gaurantee you that there is some verbage that forbids "taking", "collecting", "harvesting", "stealing" and so forth. So that no numb-skull thinks he can take the park benches home, or harvest the tan-bark to put in his own garden, etc... Can they be made to apply to singular coins ? Sure :) But in actual practice, people see the difference as innate.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
The ONLY time I hunted without permission was a house that was torn down,I was digging a target and I see a pair of shoes and looked up,the fella asked if I had permission,I answered 'no sir'and left.Well,I went out of my way to
find the owner,talked with Him for a spell and He told me it was fine by Him.I went back and digging a target
I see that pair of shoes again,I looked up and said to Him Bernie told me I could be here,He turned around and
walked away,last time I ever did that! Respect others property it ain't yours!

GOD Bless

Chris

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not opening a fing pissing match on this. I just wanted to tell a neat story. But all the lawyers need to chime in and chastise

Lenjsr, your fine........

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop the attacks of this thread..... Lenjsr made a simple post.

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread