cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok first of all nice to see you all again. Now I have been into coins for some time now going on 8 years and have come across a penny that I belive to be a planchet error. I put the coin on ebay and so many bad remarks that I tookk it off. I had people say that coins dont come like from the mint, "well if they dont then why do they come with edge letters missing" "and double stamped" and " a penny stamped on a quarter" ok that enough. I have seen people say that someone put the coin in a vice and sanded it off.

Now my opinion YES the coin may be altered BUT I cant tell yes or no b/c of the fine detail. 1st of all the circle in the middle of the coin is not indented proveing that no one has put a drill on it with any pressure the circle is just as flat as the penny, 2ndly the words on the reverse are silver colored meaning yes someone could have done some sanding, But look closely inbetween and around the letters is the original brownish red penny color that would hard to do in my opinion esp. on the E. Pluribus Unum and lastly the coins detail on both obverse and reverse is a very high relief meanig not much circulation.

Just wanted some other opionions looks cool was a neat find help me out here please.

Thanks and HH

Attachments

• 1-11-2008 6;52;54 PM88 error.jpg
    1-11-2008 6;52;54 PM88 error.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 376
  • 1-11-2008 6;51;27 PM 1988 penny error.jpg
    1-11-2008 6;51;27 PM 1988 penny error.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 386

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
That coin looks like it has rolled around in a dryer for awhile, rubbing up against the back wall. Or something similar.

It's copper plated zinc, the same as all cents since the latter half of 1982. What you see is the copper plating worn off, and the zinc core showing.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to say how it was done but it is definitely just damaged.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a Mint Thing

But possably Someone with alot of time on their hands.

sort of like what the Hobos used to do with Buffalo Nickels.

But I'm just saying "Possably"

As others said it may be from Natural Causes.

It looks Cool Though.

Maybe if you EBay it as an Altered Cent somone may bite.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The thing in the center has a circular motion to it, which leads me to believe someone altered it somehow, with some kinda drill like object.

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
djui5 said:
The thing in the center has a circular motion to it, which leads me to believe someone altered it somehow, with some kinda drill like object.
yea I agree with that but the center is not idented I dont know how to explain what I am trying to say, Its like this take a penny out of your pocket now look at the reverse its normal right all, well now take this coin and its screwed up back and put it directly on your coin. No indentions no cuts or scrapes no half way drilled hole. I dont know I am pretty sure that it is a fakey now Just thought it cool. I app. all yalls help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread