You say no new hunting sites? Check this out!!!

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, every now and then we hear from someone saying they don't know where to hunt, where to begin. How do they find the places to detect? While it isn't easy, it can be done. All it takes is some research and determination. And yea...sometimes...some luck.

Ok, here are the facts. This place I am showing here is just over a mile from my home. I am not going to reveal exactly where for obvious reasons. Its had a few folks search it over the years, but for the obvious items that could be stolen. There has been few folks that have been on this property legally. There have been some folks run off at the barrel of a gun in the past. So take heed. ALWAYS get permission! That cannot be stressed enough. Even if you think there is no harm and you cant find anyone right away to get permission from, dont hunt until you do. Mark the spot on your gps, do some research in country records and locate the owner/owners. Safer for you.

OK, this place was abandoned back in the 60's sometime. It had been homesteaded back in the 1880's. The owners walked away in the 60's and never came back. The property went to the bank, who sold it to a local farmer who needed the land, not the farmstead. It has a few outbuildings, one very interesting one, which was the original home which was turned into a small barn/workshop and chicken coop. It was built of mud/hay and local limestone. There are a few of these types of buildings still standing in the area. I located one today, and as soon as I can get permission to photograph it, I will post it here.

This farmstead will be a very interesting search. A number of buildings. The farmhouse still has furniture and some appliances in it. Some very interesting appliances from the 40's and 50's. I will post more photos every few days as I work on them. Look at the photos and think about where you would search. The ground is covered by prairie grass which is very thick thatched and touch to dig through. This type of property is idea for cache searching, also for digging up the outhouse. Now, there was an outhouse here. Just where? I dont know. There was a bathroom that was added on to the house in the 50's from the looks of it, maybe early 60's.

These kind of places are not difficult to find. Research, find places to go for drives in the country. Find old town maps, where towns arent anymore and go for walks. You will find places.

This place has an old cistern between the house and what looks to have been a clean room, milking equipment cleaning. There were/are a sink and a shower and dressing area it looks like for cleaning up after a day of work and cleaning milking equipment. Built of concrete. Surprisingly, a long ways away from the barn. Your guess is as good as mine.

The outhouse was likely in the back yard a fair distance from the house. It will take some probing and looking through the grass and thick thatch to find the foundations for it. Hopefully, there will be a path of some kind still evident.

This place will take years to search fully. Count of there being alot of trash. Oh, I also know where the dump was. It has alot of more recent items dumped there but I think I know where the original dump site was. That will take some digging.

Well, what do you think?

Attachments

• homestead4.jpg
    homestead4.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,103
  • homestead3.jpg
    homestead3.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,110
  • homestead1.jpg
    homestead1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1,091
  • homestead7.jpg
    homestead7.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 1,081
  • homestead9.jpg
    homestead9.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 1,090
  • homestead10.jpg
    homestead10.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,085
  • homestead5.jpg
    homestead5.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,079

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Great find, OGC!! You are correct in that it will take years to make a dent in such an area. I have 6-8 old homesites to search that have produced steadily for the last 20 years, and they always seem to surprise me in the assortment of things I find!! Once again; Great Job!!! Great hunting and good luck!! Skypilot02

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a great place to hunt. There is bound to be silver there. Keep us updated on how it goes.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Wow Looks like a good spot. You never know what might pop out of the ground in a place like that.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that place has potential written all over it!

I would bring a weed eater and do a whack -and-search little at a time. ;D

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know...hadnt thought about that, but you have a good idea there. The weeds dont get so bad, but that prairie grass is tough stuff. It chokes out weeds but gets 3 foot tall in the summer unless there are cattle or other stuff grazing on it.

One nice thing about this place. I have full permission to do with it what I want. Dismantal it if I want. Not that I would. Its history. And I have a big place in my heart for places like this. BUT, what it does mean is I can remove window sills if need be and not sorry so much about damage. The house foundation is not in good shape. One side is caved in partially into the basement. The stairs on that side to the basement are unsafe. There is another entrence that I havent gone down on the side that had the latest addition put on. Havent gone down there yet so dont know if its just a spring type cellar for storing can goods and such or if it goes through to the large cellar. I dont go exploring places like that without someone else along on the place. Definately want someone to know I went down there.

Once I have done some more preliminary checks on the place and run a coil in spots, I figure to plot it out on paper and do it by the numbers..so to speak..one plot at a time. The one I am most interested in checking first is the sod and rock building. Since its collapsing it has less time left and I would rather it be standing. I might see if I can reinforce that collapsed side and put some supports in to keep it from coming down further till I can run a coil over the inside. Since that was the original home it could have some interesting stuff in and around it.

Well, here are a couple more photos of the place. The first is the large barn. The outside view. Second photo is the first view I got of the inside. Then I went to the other wing of it, and this third photo is what I saw. There is so much stuff there that I dont yet know what to think of it. All just piled up in there. Old TV's, there is a cabinet of an old 1930's home radio.. just all kinds of stuff. Anyway the photo should show the potential just to do some trash diving.. Just no telling what can be found.

thrillathahunt said:
Man, that place has potential written all over it!

I would bring a weed eater and do a whack -and-search little at a time. ;D

Attachments

• homestead24.jpg
    homestead24.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,005
  • homestead15.jpg
    homestead15.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,017
  • homestead17.jpg
    homestead17.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,000
OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also wanted to show a view of the inside of the house itself. Still has the furniture in there. Most personal belongings are gone, likely taken years ago. The house has been searched I am sure many times by folks looking for valuables. Still a few things left in the cabinets. Haven't really done a search myself, and I havent gone into the basement yet. With the side collapsing on that one end, the folks might not have gone there. And the other entrance I discovered was hidden. Found it by accident. Photo below of it.

First photo is of the backyard. First chore is to try to find where the outhouse used to be. That could be one of the best places to start doing some deep digging.

Second is of the hidden entrance to the basement.

Third is of the living area of the house.

4th of a bit further view of the area where the foundation and basement wall has collapsed. It has what looks to be a coal chute or chute for wood to be passed into the basement.

Attachments

• backyard.jpg
    backyard.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 1,008
  • homestead13.jpg
    homestead13.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 995
  • homestead12.jpg
    homestead12.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 971
  • homestead14.jpg
    homestead14.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 967

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
I'm sure you have thought of checking the cushions in the furniture OGC, but just thought I'd add this. I have done VERY, VERY well checking the gap between the fireplace mantel and the wall. Just as we do today, it appears that folks would lay their pocket contents on the mantel at the end of the day. I have to say that honestly I have never failed to find old coins and/or jewelry there! REALLY good things!! I metion this because some of my best finds have come from there. One odd thing I found once was an Oklahoma tax token, and I live in TN.! Also the base boards are VERY good at hiding coins between the board and floor!! Great Luck and Good Hunting, OGC!! Many thanks for sharing!! Regards, Richard P.S. Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny as it may sound, it didnt cross my mind yet to look in the back cracks and beneath the cushions of the furniture.. :icon_scratch: That is something so obvious. Sheese....thanks for the reminder. :notworthy:
Yea, the mantel is always a good spot to check...the back of it. Also, in the fireplace. Looking for odd sized bricks..loose bricks, etc. And the window sills. I have found several coins in my own house there. My place is almost 100 years old, well one house is about 110 years and mine is about 80, I think. My brother and his family live in one, me and mine in the other. Sign of the times. Families gathering together.

Anyway, yea and the baseboards. This place never had carpet, just the original wood floors with maybe some rugs or throws. About it it. There is some great original wood yet in this place. Cabinet doors, room doors. Still in fair to good condition. Since I have permission...alot of that is going to be removed this spring and summer.

Oh, and there is another house that I havent checked yet, on the property..its about 1/4 mile away. House and barn from another homestead place. Picture of it below. Havent checked it inside yet. But it looks interesting. Another place that they walked away from leaving stuff inside.

And there is another homestead that has a bunch of buildings..till last year it still had a bunch of old iron farm tools out front, but someone stole them last spring sometime. The guy was pissed. Antique farm iron is a gold mine. Anyway, its a different owner and he banned anyone going on the place when his stuff was stolen..but he is going to relent I think and let me go on the place this summer and do some detecting. I dont have the full permission to do what I wish like this place, but just being able to detect is plenty. This other place has about a dozen buildings and 2 old homes and a bunkhouse. Big prosperous place at one time. It was an original homestead as well. All these are within 3 miles of home.

Anyway, I have enough places close to me to keep me busy hunting for years. Long as the dang weather will cooperate. I was busy as the dickens yesterday and I knew a storm was coming in last nite. Well, by the time I got done with work yesterday and had MAYBE a chance to go do some detecting, I had to get hay in case of the storm being bad. Got dark too soon. <sigh> And then today I have snow on the ground...and though its melting, its too wet to get to any of the places to detect. 4 wheel drive needed for them on good days. Day like today...I would be walking home to get a tractor to pull my truck out. And thats if my tractor didnt get stuck. Oh well....there will be this weekend...I hope...its supposed to be a nice weekend. If so...will be doing some checking out on the old homestead. And swinging a coil.

Oh, did I mention...there is an old wood cook stove in the place...that is mine now. And its in good shape yet. Amazing..what a person can find yet. That is coming out this weekend.

I have heard of those tax tokens winding up in the oddest places. They are like money...they travel.

skypilot02 said:
I'm sure you have thought of checking the cushions in the furniture OGC, but just thought I'd add this. I have done VERY, VERY well checking the gap between the fireplace mantel and the wall. Just as we do today, it appears that folks would lay their pocket contents on the mantel at the end of the day. I have to say that honestly I have never failed to find old coins and/or jewelry there! REALLY good things!! I metion this because some of my best finds have come from there. One odd thing I found once was an Oklahoma tax token, and I live in TN.! Also the base boards are VERY good at hiding coins between the board and floor!! Great Luck and Good Hunting, OGC!! Many thanks for sharing!! Regards, Richard P.S. Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Months? Try years. Its a big site. There is also another homestead just a short distance away. Smaller, small home and only one extra building, and a foundation...but just here will take years. And I have two additional sites, well...actually 4 additional sites to hunt as well. I have enough to swing a coil and dig for a good many years. :hello2: :icon_thumleft:

Spooky said:
Oh MY.

That spot will provide hours, nay MONTHS of diggery!!!

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
old_goldchaser said:
Funny as it may sound, it didnt cross my mind yet to look in the back cracks and beneath the cushions of the furniture.. :icon_scratch: That is something so obvious. Sheese....thanks for the reminder. :notworthy:
Yea, the mantel is always a good spot to check...the back of it. Also, in the fireplace. Looking for odd sized bricks..loose bricks, etc. And the window sills. I have found several coins in my own house there. My place is almost 100 years old, well one house is about 110 years and mine is about 80, I think. My brother and his family live in one, me and mine in the other. Sign of the times. Families gathering together.

Anyway, yea and the baseboards. This place never had carpet, just the original wood floors with maybe some rugs or throws. About it it. There is some great original wood yet in this place. Cabinet doors, room doors. Still in fair to good condition. Since I have permission...alot of that is going to be removed this spring and summer.

Oh, and there is another house that I havent checked yet, on the property..its about 1/4 mile away. House and barn from another homestead place. Picture of it below. Havent checked it inside yet. But it looks interesting. Another place that they walked away from leaving stuff inside.

And there is another homestead that has a bunch of buildings..till last year it still had a bunch of old iron farm tools out front, but someone stole them last spring sometime. The guy was pissed. Antique farm iron is a gold mine. Anyway, its a different owner and he banned anyone going on the place when his stuff was stolen..but he is going to relent I think and let me go on the place this summer and do some detecting. I dont have the full permission to do what I wish like this place, but just being able to detect is plenty. This other place has about a dozen buildings and 2 old homes and a bunkhouse. Big prosperous place at one time. It was an original homestead as well. All these are within 3 miles of home.

Anyway, I have enough places close to me to keep me busy hunting for years. Long as the dang weather will cooperate. I was busy as the dickens yesterday and I knew a storm was coming in last nite. Well, by the time I got done with work yesterday and had MAYBE a chance to go do some detecting, I had to get hay in case of the storm being bad. Got dark too soon. <sigh> And then today I have snow on the ground...and though its melting, its too wet to get to any of the places to detect. 4 wheel drive needed for them on good days. Day like today...I would be walking home to get a tractor to pull my truck out. And thats if my tractor didnt get stuck. Oh well....there will be this weekend...I hope...its supposed to be a nice weekend. If so...will be doing some checking out on the old homestead. And swinging a coil.

Oh, did I mention...there is an old wood cook stove in the place...that is mine now. And its in good shape yet. Amazing..what a person can find yet. That is coming out this weekend.

I have heard of those tax tokens winding up in the oddest places. They are like money...they travel.

skypilot02 said:

Glad to help OGC! :thumbsup: I'm sure you would've thought of it once you started. Yes, that's a fact about those tax tokens, isn't it? I also found one from Missisippi in a small town south of me. Great job, scoring the stove!! I remember chopping kindlin' for my Mom's stove when I was younger! Looking back on it, it was really touchy to keep the heat just right, not burn things or leave them raw! That would be really tough on the gals today!! WOW!! OGC you sure do have plenty of looking to do!! You are right about how long those spots will produce! In fact, it is really doubtful that one person (or family even) could ever clean all of them out dry. I am lucky to have my favorite homesteads within walking distance of my house also!! Of course I live in the country, and lots of houses were here before the War. Please keep us posted, OGC!! I am REALLY happy for you!! Way to go!! :hello2: :icon_sunny: :thumbsup: Great hunting and Good luck!!! Regards, Richard

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good site! You could spend a couple summers right around the buildings!
HH Doc

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc Holliday said:
Very good site! You could spend a couple summers right around the buildings!
HH Doc

Thats a fact. Was over there this morning before the storm front came through. Only had a couple of hours, but didnt get further than about a 10 foot distance around one of the doors in the house. Didnt find much of anything cept junk but was an enjoyable hunt. But like I said...in that 2 hours only covered that 10 foot area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread