You wont believe this... Update 1

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
You won't believe this... Update 1

I got up this morning and was dithering on whether to go hunting or not. It has been raining off and on for several days and we were supposed to get the same again today. Well, you know that GOING hunting won out! Who cares if it rains... I get wet anyway so I got in the car and started off. Once in the car I couldn't decide where I wanted to go. It all boiled down to two of my favorite places and as I was driving I saw one of the most beautiful rainbows in the distance. Now you know that at the end of a rainbow is a pot of gold! So I followed the rainbow. And that starts my story.

A few days ago I told you about a lady that lost her cross and asked if I could find it.

I tried that day but didn't have any luck. I tried another day and still didn't have any luck finding it. Now I am not one of the "better" hunters out there. I get lucky from time to time but as far as I'm concerned it is just dumb luck. But remember the rainbow? I was feeling good this morning. I got in the water and right off the bat my first hit was a quarter. OKAY.... a good sign. I found a few more coins. A couple people stopped to talk to me and asked if I was getting rich. I laughed and said not yet. A sheriff's deputy got out of his car and came over to talk to me and asked me the same thing. Again I laughed an told him not yet but I was trying. I told him about the lady that had lost her cross and I was hoping to find it but since it was my third time there I didn't really think I was going to. He wished me luck and to stay safe and left. I kept hunting and got a couple more hits. This time it was just bullet casings. I got a 38, 32 and the little one just has a U on the bottom but I'm guessing a 22. I got what I thought at the time was a grommet. It was totally encrusted and I just threw it in my bag and went on. Then another couple coins and then.........................................

I GOT IT!

I am sure that this is the lost cross. Thank goodness I didn't throw her name and ph number away. I almost did. I am not going to post a picture of this until I've contacted the lady but this is a really beautiful cross. It is covered with stones (diamonds) which I doubt are real but the cross itself is 925 silver. I am soooooo happy right now. As soon as I verify that it is indeed the right one I will update this and put in a picture of it.

My finds for today. Fifty-five cents in coins.

082710.jpg

Remember the grommet? Well when I was cleaning out my bag I looked at it again and almost threw it away and no it wasn't a grommet. It was a ring. It is just a cheap squeeze-on ring but still a ring!

Ring082710.jpg

What a morning! I hope your day is as good or better. :wink:

Update 1

I just called her number and it's a homeless shelter. The lady told me that the one I was calling for is homeless but wasn't there at the moment. If she comes in they will have her call me. Now my question is.... is this really her's or did she just hear of someone losing a cross and is hoping that I will give it to her???? I am really torn on what to do now. If she does call me back and will tell her I found 2 crosses which is true but not the same day, and ask her to describe her's to me in detail. I don't know what else to do. I would be happy to return it as long as it really does belong to her but otherwise I'd rather keep it my self. Then again if she is really homeless......... this may be the only thing she has left! What a dilema.

Upvote 0

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
Re: You won't believe this...

Woo Hoo Mum !!! :hello2: PLEEEEASE keep us posted, sounds like a GREAT story! :icon_thumleft:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: You won't believe this...

Mumsie,

You are one of the "better" detectorists out there. Just because the beach isn't producing like it used to does not make you an average detectorist. Not with your experience.

Your finds today: 55 cents in change and a bucket full of good karma.

Bravo on finding that cross! :icon_thumleft:

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mums, u have intrigue on the beach

she told u right ?.............gave u contact info.......right.....?

try and find her and chat..............see where that takes u

925 tells u it is not from the Atocha............

i know u will do the right thing regardless

good luck and maybe we will find some yellow metal soon................ :icon_thumright:

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: You won't believe this... Update 1

It's a hard decision to make Mumzie, but I know you will do what you instinctivly feel is the right one.
One does'nt like to make judgements about people, you never know their circumstances, but a homeless shelter, and a cross that sounds as if it might be an expensive one. Yet this lady did give you her address and phone no: I can see your dilemma.

U.

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida

Unicorn said:
It's a hard decision to make Mumzie, but I know you will do what you instinctivly feel is the right one.
One does'nt like to make judgements about people, you never know their circumstances, but a homeless shelter, and a cross that sounds as if it might be an expensive one. Yet this lady did give you her address and phone no: I can see your dilemma.

U.

**sigh** Yes it is hard but I've done some research since first posting this thread and although the cross is beautiful and it is 925 silver and it's covered with stones.... it also says China on the back and all of the ones I've seen that are similar on the net go anywhere from 20 - 80 dollars so it is not as expensive as I originally thought. If she ever calls me and can identify is correctly I will definitely let her have it back. So now that I know it is not the priceless item I thought at first.... here is a picture of it.

Cross082710.jpg

I really don't care that it is not an expensive item. I am just thrilled to have found it. Now I can quit saying I never find anything for people when they ask me to. ::)

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree, have her describe it to you..if it doesnt match, then you know its not hers.. dont give it away without a perfect description of it.. sad shes in a shelter.. but honesty is the best policy. so see what she says on what it looks like.

Bobbie

Nov 7, 2005
Connecticut and SW Florida
Detector(s) used
2 Minelab Excal 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Question her thoroughly and see where it takes you. She may be homeless because of a drug problem or personality deficit, both are usually very religious people. Also, homeless shelters do not allow residents to hang around at the shelter all day, they have to be out doing something.....like seeking employement. Whatever you decide, do not have her come to your house or give her your address. By all means keep yourself safe and meet her in a public place or the homeless shelter.
Good luck Mumszie and be safe.

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida

If it turns out to be hers and she calls me I will agree to meet her where I found it and met her AND I will be taking someone with me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread