Your advice please

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I have researched two locations in my area that I have been looking at for some time. Both locations are old homes that are not occupied.

A search of the tax records indicates that one was built in 1906 and is owned by a development corporation. The other was built in 1930 and has an out of town owner. I have the addresses for both of the listed owners of the properties.

My question is should I write to the owners asking permission to detect the properties or should I attempt to find a telephone number and call them?

I did this once before on a similar property (another development corportion) and was denied. I even offered to sign a liability waiver but was still denied permission.

Any suggestions from anyone who has has similar experience?

Thanks.

Ray S

Upvote 0

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
I suggest a phone call if you cant see them in person. It also doesn't hurt to have a history of the area and location you want to hunt.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is real easy for a land owner to refuse you admittance to his property by phone. The same goes for letters. In person you have the best chance as they can look you in the eye an decide if your a nice person. But this is not always possible to meet them.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
It is real easy for a land owner to refuse you admittance to his property by phone. The same goes for letters. In person you have the best chance as they can look you in the eye an decide if your a nice person. But this is not always possible to meet them.

Agreed.

also when Liability is brought up by an Owner
it Usually means NO but they Couldn't think of a Better Excuse at the Moment.

No Matter what You promise to sign odds are they will not care
and will not change their mind.

bavarianminister

Dec 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett GTA1000, GTAX550, ACE250, Fisher 1212, Minelab X-terra, Whites DFX
I believe that a phone call shows an individual that you are more committed in using their property for your hobby. An un-solicited letter will probably be trashed when received.

Bavarianminister

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Thanks for all your replies. After further research, I have located one telephone number and have made a call. Evidentally they are using their answering machine to screen their calls. I left my name and number but have not received a call back.

The other property is another story. I attempted to search the company out in the web as well as their address in Ft. Lauderdale. It seems that the web says that the address given is a Ramada Hotel or some type of Ramada business office. The address appears to be in some type of business plaza with one address and a number if suite numbers. Could not find telephone number and do not want to send letter unless I am sure it will go to the right place.

Looks like I might have to put these sites in the 'Wish List File' and move on.

If I get lucky, in respect to getting permission, I will let you know.

Ray S

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well at this point you really have "nothing" to lose -- a "cold" call was not returned by the home owners a letter might work (hey its worth a shot) because otherwize its "frozen" legally speaking you can't legally go there --- for corp type owners normally just saying "no" is standard operating proceedures for folks like them -- but again whatta got to lose? -- the price of a stamp and a few min to write a letter ? --- some corp types also fear that if you find "some big time thing" say oh an old indain burail area while exploring that it might screw up their plans for the land so because of that and liability issues -- they just say no just about all the time --- private land owners are a better bet in most cases -- seeing them in person is best -- then by phone --then by mail --- good luck --- Ivan

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
ivan salis said:
well at this point you really have "nothing" to lose -- a "cold" call was not returned by the home owners a letter might work (hey its worth a shot) because otherwize its "frozen" legally speaking you can't legally go there --- for corp type owners normally just saying "no" is standard operating proceedures for folks like them -- but again whatta got to lose? -- the price of a stamp and a few min to write a letter ? --- some corp types also fear that if you find "some big time thing" say oh an old indain burail area while exploring that it might screw up their plans for the land so because of that and liability issues -- they just say no just about all the time --- private land owners are a better bet in most cases -- seeing them in person is best -- then by phone --then by mail --- good luck --- Ivan

Ivan,
Thanks for your input. I decided to give it a day or two to see if I get a call. If now I will definately send a letter. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

HH
Ray S

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread