Your best surface find?

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, AT Pro, Etrac, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
My favorite/best so far is this token. I was visiting my uncle when he was doing some yard work years ago and I saw a round object I assumed was an electrical box punchout. Just out of curiosity I picked it up and rubbed it a little and saw some letters so I stuck it in my pocket to clean up with water and toothbrush at home. Was happy as hell when I saw it was a token from an old poolhall where I live. Here is a link to the token
D. McDONALD / POOL HALL / ELLIS, KAN (TC-263538) Ellis, Kansas (Ellis County), U.S.A.

Doodle McDonald was a notorious gambler and he operated his pool hall in the basement of this building. I was told by a gentleman that remembers as a kid he would see gamblers hanging out trying to get a sucker to come down for a card game. the men standing along the basement steps railing look like the guys he described.

HICKEY FIXED - Copy (640x411).jpg

I was detecting a beach some 25 yrs ago while on vacation with the now ex-wife and kids. As we were walking together back towards the car, I was frantically trying to find something valuable with the detector.
The ex bent down and picked something up and showed me the $20 dollar bill she found. Oh the irony..

Once driving home from work, I saw somebody's wallet strewn along the side of the road. I stopped and picked up the wallet and contents which included license and other important documents but no money.
I went up to the local police station to report the incident. After being interrogated as if I was the thief that stole it, I left the station and walked past someone that was sitting on the steps waiting for a ride.
I was parked about 20 feet away from the entrance. About half way to my car I looked down to see cash lying on the ground. I picked the bills up but didn't count them till I got to my car. About $17 if I recall.
I thought for sure it was some sort of set-up, how could the guy sitting 10ft away miss it?

I found this in my gravel drive way. It was dark and I heard my foot hit something so I got my flash light an picked it up took it in the house and couldn't believe it 1826

Attachments

• image-671827384.jpg
    image-671827384.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 143
I was walking along a dirt trail by an old railroad workers' camp, detecting as I went, when I got a dime reading on the machine. The depth meter said 0" so I just reached down and poked around with my probe. I hit something and picked it up thinking it was just a modern clad dime. Looking at it a bit closer, I found it was an 1876 seated dime! At least I didn't damage it too much....just a tiny pock mark. I did the same thing in an old park a few months later. I got a dime reading at the edge of a planter box that said 0" on the meter again. poked around and out popped a Barber dime! I decided not to poke coins with a probe anymore after that.... I now use the pin pointer instead.

1774 gold British guinea this past January. On top of the sand at the beach, I saw it just as the machine did. I kicked it because I though it was one of those liners for the little milk jugs. Found a big 3/4 groove ax on the top of the ground, a flint ridge Ohio blank (in Maryland) and a paleo chopper once upon a time ago.

DSCN0832.JPG
Dug 3 inches down when i got this hit. But it was right on the surface next to where i was digging just at the base of some grass roots. 1986 worlds fair coin

After having an argument with the little voice in my head telling me to check out a piece of blue trash 30 ft. Away, I lost and went to check it out swinging my detector as I went. Two feet from the plastic trash the detector sounds off loud. I look down and there is a gold ring! It is marked 925, gold color, with 6 tiny diamonds. I have to do acid gold test on It to see if it is indeed gold. Lesson learned! When the little voice speaks, obey!

925 is silver.
I have two..one is a bronze ship spike I found while metal detecting a shipwreck beach... I saw just a bit of green in with the shells and rocks low on the beach while the water was going out.
The other was just a shoreline walk after a hard rain.

ForumRunner_20131027_195208.png

ForumRunner_20131027_195807.png

IMG_20130511_183522-enhanced_1.jpg

In the California gold fields, I was hiking back out of this mountain strewn river canyon and at the top of the trail I noticed an "electric box slug" picked it up and it was a V nickel. I can just picture some old miner with his clasp purse out and dropping that coin............................63bkpkr

In 1982 I was walking my dog along a creek in northern CA after a very heavy rain storm (First time I heard the word El Nino). There in plain view,on the bedrock, in a spot where the storm had stripped off about two feet of overburden the previous night, was a nugget, approx. 1 pennyweight. I rubbed my eyes and picked it up, thought I was dreaming and would wake up any moment. Nope, it was real !

1884 indian head penny last night. Right on top of a dirt clod.

Last edited:
Here's another surface find. I was detecting a playground. And this was on top. 925 :-)
GOD BLESS!!!

Attachments

• image-928043691.jpg
    image-928043691.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 103
..Here is my best...My Buddy and I spent 2 day digging for artifacts, and I went to get some water from the cabin....Found this on my walk back

The really cool thing was, this was the fist time i ever went arrowhead hunting too....my find was 100% luck

Attachments

• Bird Point.JPG
    Bird Point.JPG
    888.3 KB · Views: 97
-
While MD'ing on the beach, this ring was just laying on the surface of the sand three feet ahead of me. I could not believe my eyes, so before I picked it up, I took this picture with my phone.

Surface Find.jpg

Last edited:
While cutting a plug to retrieve a find ( it turned out to be a quarter), there was a very nice silver necklace with a huge cross on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back