Your detector is "Waterproof" and it is raining, do you still hunt?

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ONE limiting factor for me besides the obvious(tornados,lightning,etc) is whether or not I can dig a hole...i.e. is it FROZEN UP? I’ve got rain gear,I myself am quite waterproof and the CTX doesn’t care. Heck,I just put it in the shower for a few minutes when I get home to clean it. I mentioned before that my wife frowns on this...
But yes,I will hunt in the rain as long as it’s not an absolute DELUGE,and like the Prof said....very peaceful because nobody else is around! Crappy weather is sometimes my favorite time to go,as long as the weather isn’t adversly affecting the machine,which it really never does.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck ya!! If I'm finding stuff nothing is going to stop me!! But? if I'm not finding anything I'm running for the truck!!!

Bar of soap? Why? Isn't the rain enough? :laughing7: That's how we shower sometimes when camping, soap and rain. If no rain? head to the creek! A trespasser wandering into that area will be covering their eyes and shaking their head(or go blind) when they see my wife and I in the creek takin a bath!:laughing7: Ice cold spring water too!!! They'll think there are two ladies in that water. (ya, those that have "been there done that", will understand that short joke):laughing7:

I tried to go swimming in lake michigan in the spring as a teenager. I swore for a bit that it would be shrunken forever

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to go swimming in lake michigan in the spring as a teenager. I swore for a bit that it would be shrunken forever

“It”....:laughing7: “It shrinks?....I don’t know how you guys walk around with those things”....Elaine Benice

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes of course I keep going. After all, when you spend some bucks to make sure you're safe, wouldn't you want to check it out?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a coin spill silver this summer I was out in the pouring rain and loved it

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I will hunt in the rain, I did it today, and the outside temperature was only in the 30s. As long as it isn't completely drenching, I am normally fine with it, and have even braved heavy downpours once or twice. The only problem I have had is if the display on my T2 gets so wet that a little bit of water somehow leaks inside and fogs up the plastic screen for a few days.

My worst rain experience was walking a half mile to a cellar hole last year, only to have it start raining harder than it had all year right as I got there. The rain was so strong that I looked like I had just taken a long shower within a few minutes. I spent 10 minutes metal detecting, then decided to leave, right as I got back to the car after my half mile walk the rain stopped. I started to go back to the cellar hole and the rain started up again, I turned around and drove home after that, with only one flat button to show for my effort.

Last edited:

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a CTX and have no problem hunting in the rain. I did one submerged hunt in the spring and my “waterproof” gray ghost headphones crapped out. I sent them in (which cost $15) and they fixed them and sent them back (took a month) and told me they had a loose wire. Well, those things look loose again so I duct taped them and am back to hunting in the rain again but I don’t think I want to go full submersion with those headphones again. Not worth the headache.

It sucks when you can't use your submersible headphones for their intended purpose.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting