Your experience with gold ring travel and sink rates in saltwater "SAND"

Feb 24, 2004
Florida
Your experience with gold ring travel and sink rates in saltwater "SAND"

I have done tests with gold rings and if you tie a 2 pound test mono line to your ring and lay it in the wet sand-with even mild waves passing over it, it will be 6" deep in about 15 minutes. By the next day a foot- 2'. { Assuming we are talking just sand-if shell or hard bottom is 6" down, it will stop there, of course.} With the extreme winds and rough water weve had chances a gold ring lost in August [SW FLORIDA COAST] not only may be down a few feet, it may be a 1/2 mile away, if a good current made a cut in the area for a few days, it moved that sand and all that's in it away, like a rushing river. It's not like hard ground or even most lakes and slow rivers with hard bottom or rock a foot down. Salt sand moves constantly- shifts, travels, sinks and nothing today is where it was yesterday.

In each case, I made sure in my tests, I had either no winds or west winds and in every case, the rings went straight south-stayed close to the same distance from shore and always stopped at a deeper [sometimes only a foot deeper] cut. Sometimes they traveled 50-100 yards before I got back and sometimes much further. Wind affect was my 1st consideration. No, I feel absolutely certain of this. Of course, I can only say what happens on this particular beach in my area? Some beaches may run with a swifter current or a slower current with the tides. I'm going to move this subject to the waterhunting forum and see if anyone else has info or thoughts.

I would be interested in hearing what other saltwater hunters have as an opinion, or what experiences you have had?
Thanks,
Chuck,Diggin'it in Florida

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Your experience with gold ring travel and sink rates in saltwater "SAND"

Chuck you are doing well in learning how wind and wave actions affects target movement.

Jaws2

Oct 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Excalibur 11, Fisher F75

I think you are correct in what you are saying and I can tell you for a fact that learning the beach areas you work can pay off big time. When I go to a beach I feel I have a definate advantage over the other guy working the same area.

Thanks for the information.

tentpegs

Oct 15, 2006
spain
Detector(s) used
ex 1000 surfmaster pi

Yes im still trying to sort it out to over here in Spain i can find 4or5 rings close by.Then 7 days later i find 3or4 rings in that same area .Still i am going back to the the same location waist high and i will untill i feel there are no more.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Chuck I did the same thing with gold rings in my area too, it is hard to believe how fast they sink, and how deep they go. It is for that reason that I know there are lots of gold and plat rings just waiting for us to find, they are just too deep to see after they have been there a few days until the waves andweather expose them again.

I had a mother approach me on New Years Day and ask me to look for a ring she gave her son on Christmas. She showed me where they were and I looked for over an hour with no luck. I gave up and moved on down the beach, I wasn't in the water because it was really rough..Almost a hundred yards from where I was searching for the ring for the mother I found a silver ring with an inscripition inside.

I walked back up the beach and asked the mother to describe the inscripition, she nailed the exact inscripition on the ring I found. They could not believe where I found it as he never left their sight and I found it more then a hundred yards from where they were.......They offered a $50 reward but I refused it, bad karma to charge a mother to get back a ring she gave to her son on Christmas, besides which my mother would roll over in her grave if she knew I did...

OP
OP
Chuck Diggin it in Fl
Feb 24, 2004
Florida

Thank You!
Besides the tests i've done, I have found many "honey holes" where the rings have run down the beach and dumped off in a low hard spot-so I know they travel.
I can't remember who-Frank Hamil knows who- but there was a guy who used scuba and followed troughs out to where they ended in deeper water and he cleaned up big time! That would not be the case, if gold rings sat still.

Sandman said:
Chuck you are doing well in learning how wind and wave actions affects target movement.

OP
OP
Chuck Diggin it in Fl
Feb 24, 2004
Florida

Yes, in the winter, when we are getting the most currents, I can go to "spots" that have a 90% chance of having jewelry in a 20' x 50' area. I believe it's an overall low area, with hard bottom.

Jaws2 said:
I think you are correct in what you are saying and I can tell you for a fact that learning the beach areas you work can pay off big time. When I go to a beach I feel I have a definate advantage over the other guy working the same area.

Thanks for the information.

OP
OP
Chuck Diggin it in Fl
Feb 24, 2004
Florida

That's a honey hole and proof of ring travel. There will always be more at those places, than in the average beach areas.

tentpegs said:
Yes im still trying to sort it out to over here in Spain i can find 4or5 rings close by.Then 7 days later i find 3or4 rings in that same area .Still i am going back to the the same location waist high and i will untill i feel there are no more.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lets say a hurricane hit the south shore of Long Island and ripped off 4 to 5 feet of sand off the beaches 200 yards past the normal high tide line which almost always happens all that sand and targets get washed out in the ocean in time does it not all come back or does all those targets just get lost out in deeper water ?

D

digum smacks

heres what ive learned,different beaches different results,take like fort myers beach,a ring will never move there only up or down,unless a monster hurricane comes,steep drop offs on beaches,easier for a ring to move,rings move alot more on the east coast than over here on the west coast of fl,reason stronger waves,and alot deeper offshore.you can actually pick out beaches where stuff will move around alot more than others,i think a ring sinks more than it moves around,with constant bad weather it could move a little more,but here the issue lies with all the beach renourishment >:(stuff now-a-days sinks straight down to harder ground,thats my take

OP
OP
Chuck Diggin it in Fl
Feb 24, 2004
Florida

I think it would be left out in deep water, unless another hurricane threw it back in again? ???

Deepdiger60 said:
Lets say a hurricane hit the south shore of Long Island and ripped off 4 to 5 feet of sand off the beaches 200 yards past the normal high tide line which almost always happens all that sand and targets get washed out in the ocean in time does it not all come back or does all those targets just get lost out in deeper water ?

OP
OP
Chuck Diggin it in Fl
Feb 24, 2004
Florida
Re: Your experience is further proof of travel.! Thanks!

Treasure_Hunter said:
Chuck I did the same thing with gold rings in my area too, it is hard to believe how fast they sink, and how deep they go. It is for that reason that I know there are lots of gold and plat rings just waiting for us to find, they are just too deep to see after they have been there a few days until the waves andweather expose them again.

I had a mother approach me on New Years Day and ask me to look for a ring she gave her son on Christmas. She showed me where they were and I looked for over an hour with no luck. I gave up and moved on down the beach, I wasn't in the water because it was really rough..Almost a hundred yards from where I was searching for the ring for the mother I found a silver ring with an inscripition inside.

I walked back up the beach and asked the mother to describe the inscripition, she nailed the exact inscripition on the ring I found. They could not believe where I found it as he never left their sight and I found it more then a hundred yards from where they were.......They offered a $50 reward but I refused it, bad karma to charge a mother to get back a ring she gave to her son on Christmas, besides which my mother would roll over in her grave if she knew I did...

OP
OP
Chuck Diggin it in Fl
Feb 24, 2004
Florida

You are correct and I should have stated that my scenario is not true for beaches that get deeper gradually, like Ft Myers does. My beaches drop off quickly and the a ways out there is a large sand bar.
Thus, an actual stream forms with the current.

snooksion2 said:
heres what ive learned,different beaches different results,take like fort myers beach,a ring will never move there only up or down,unless a monster hurricane comes,steep drop offs on beaches,easier for a ring to move,rings move alot more on the east coast than over here on the west coast of fl,reason stronger waves,and alot deeper offshore.you can actually pick out beaches where stuff will move around alot more than others,i think a ring sinks more than it moves around,with constant bad weather it could move a little more,but here the issue lies with all the beach renourishment >:(stuff now-a-days sinks straight down to harder ground,thats my take

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

snooksion2 said:

I think it is the surf that causes the difference, usually a lot more constant surf action on the East coast of Florida then the Gulf coast. I have hunted the Gulf on several times each year the last 4 years, and can see where something will sink straight down there, plus there is more of a hard shell base on the Gulf side and in beaches in South Florida. On the East side it is a lot deeper sand, no hard shell base and clay under the sand, with the surf, rings move farther and sink deeper..........Just my opinion..

OP
OP
Chuck Diggin it in Fl
Feb 24, 2004
Florida

That's an impressive list of water machines you have there! I also agree with your point 100% "WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP"
If I find something, I may choose to try to give it bach-with all the effort involved-or, I may choose to keep it, as long as it's legal.
Thanks for your input and I am sure that on the East Coast, surf action is the main factor. In my hunting over there, i've seen very few troughs to carry rings along in the current.

Treasure_Hunter said:
snooksion2 said:

I think it is the surf that causes the difference, usually a lot more constant surf action on the East coast of Florida then the Gulf coast. I have hunted the Gulf on several times each year the last 4 years, and can see where something will sink straight down there, plus there is more of a hard shell base on the Gulf side and in beaches in South Florida. On the East side it is a lot deeper sand, no hard shell base and clay under the sand, with the surf, rings move farther and sink deeper..........Just my opinion..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread